What's new

The Great Rap Debate

7StraightIsGreat

So this is a carryover from the Jazz-Pacer game thread that just got closed because a Rap debate broke out. I pretty much drew the ire of everyone involved in the discussion as I questioned the artistic integrity of Rap music as a whole. I was called a stupid racist amongst other things, told I was painting rap music with too broad a brush, etc. I was pretty intrigued that people were passionate enough about Rap that they almost immediately resorted to name calling and I wanted to continue the discussion here. This will be a bit long, but for those of you who came at me in that thread, I wanted to lay out my case with a little bit more detail.

-First and foremost, let me make it abundantly clear (yet again) that I understand that Rap music has been the biggest movement in music over the last 30 years. I'm not here to degrade the impact it has on our culture. To try and sum up how I feel about Rap music, I'm going to use Chuck D (Public Enemy, Prophets of Rage) as an example. Chuck D is a guy with a lot of important things to say. He is the type of guy who makes a case for social change and injustices and has done so for over 3 decades. The vehicle that Chuck decided to use to get his message out was Rap music. It was a smart move. In hindsight, he chose the best format he possibly could to get his message out to the masses. Now with that being said, while I may think that the messages Chuck has are important and need to be heard, that doesn't mean that I think that he's musician. I think he's a guy who found a great medium to deliver his spoken word message and ran with it. It seems that the Rap fans in this forum bristle at the opinion that laying down some synthesized beats, or in many cases, beats that were written and performed by other musicians and putting your lyrics over the top of them decreases my opinion that you are an artist. If you enjoy rap music, that's great. If you want to tell me that these performers are every bit the caliber of artists that are out there in other genres writing and performing their music from scratch, that's fine too. Just don't expect me to agree and don't come at me with accusations of being racist or question my intelligence because I disagree with you. I like punk music. It's not even close to being my favorite genre of music but I still enjoy listening to it. When somebody tells me that punk music is usually simple song structures with 3 guitar chords throughout the songs with simple drum beats and 7th grade lyrics, guess what? I agree with them. When I'm listening to punk, I'm not listening for complexity and virtuosity. I'm listening because I love the aggression and the release that the music provides. I never feel the need to prop up punk music at something it's not.

-I got a lot of people's attention when I mentioned that rap music generally deals with topics such as money, drugs, degrading women, and constant use of racial slurs. I was immediately condemned for being an uneducated fiend who was talking out of his *** and painting rap with too broad a brush. That made me do some digging. I started looking at the top selling rap albums of all time, the biggest singles of all time, etc. I found something pretty interesting via Billboard. They have a list of the top 10 selling rap series of all time. I felt this was a very relevant list because it didn't just target the top 10 albums, it dove into the artists that have had a pretty big cultural impact releasing a series of albums under the same theme. Here's a quick look at the list as it stood in October of 2016:

10- Jadakiss, Kiss Series
9- Nicki Minaj, Pink Series
8- The Game, The Documentary
7- Ja Rule, Pain Is Love 1-2
6- Method Man, Tical
5- Jeezy, Thug Motivation
4- Jay Z, Blueprint Trilogy
3- Lil Wayne, The Carter 1-4
2- Jay Z, Volumes
1- Eminem, Marshall Mathers Lp's

I found it interesting that while I'm accused of painting rap music with too broad a brush, that in looking at this Top 10 list, ALL 10 artists on the list have extremely heavy content of drugs, money, violence, and racial overtones. In looking at Billboard's Top 10 selling rap albums of all time, the results were extremely similar. 8 out of the 10 artists on that list sing about the topics that I've called rap out on. The 2 exclusions being MC Hammer and The Beastie Boys (The Beastie Boys play their own instruments quite often on their albums btw). So while you may accuse me of lumping all rap in together, I'll counter with the fact that my synopsis of rap just happens to be accurate in regards to the type of album that everybody is buying. Sure, there are some artists out there trying to buck the trend, but record sales show me that what has always moved rap albums off the shelves is the exact type of content that I've been calling into question.

Just my opinion, but I don't think Rap can get out of it's own way. I have people in here telling me I'm ignoring the well intentioned artists that have a positive message to send. In looking at all of the metrics that I can get my hands on, it appears that most rap fans are ignoring those artists just as much as I am. For every 1 Chuck D or Chance the Rapper that you can find, it looks like there's 10 Lil Wayne's and Ja Rule's flooding the market.

- I guess my overall argument in a nutshell is: Of course there are Rappers out there with something important to say. I just happen to see those men and women as spoken word artists much more than I see them as actual musicians. I also feel like it's more than fair to say that the stunning majority of relevant Rap artists are rapping about negative, self-indulgent, nonsense which makes it extremely hard for me to take the genre seriously.

Thanks for reading. If you can at least see the logic behind my argument, cool. If you still think I'm an ***-backwards racist, well, I still hope you have a nice day.

My biggest problem is that you say the lyrics are that of a 7th grader or nursery rhyme like.

My favorite thing about my favorite rap artists and favorite rap songs are the creative and complex and difficult lyrics.

And the way the lyrics are delivered takes skill and talent. There is a great degree of difficulty.

I would love it if you would write and perform a rap song for us to show how simple it is. Would be hilarious.

I'm also a person who loves to read books, and watch movies. A lot of my favorite rap tells an interesting and educational story in the lyrics.

My biggest problem is that you say the lyrics are that of a 7th grader or nursery rhyme like.

My favorite thing about my favorite rap artists and favorite rap songs are the creative and complex and difficult lyrics.

As is with any argument in life, there is always going to be outliers. Are there some Rappers out there capable of crafting some creative, complex, and sometimes difficult lyrics? Absolutely. My obvious counter to your opinion is that I don't see most of what's going on within the genre as creative, complex, or difficult.

As is with any argument in life, there is always going to be outliers. Are there some Rappers out there capable of crafting some creative, complex, and sometimes difficult lyrics? Absolutely. My obvious counter to your opinion is that I don't see most of what's going on within the genre as creative, complex, or difficult.
I don't think you are looking.

Queen is considered a great rock group. We are the Champions lyrics are simplistic and lame as hell. Bohemian rapsody is full of gibberish and lame voice changes.

Sometimes we see what we want to see.

And the way the lyrics are delivered takes skill and talent. There is a great degree of difficulty.

I would love it if you would write and perform a rap song for us to show how simple it is. Would be hilarious.

i agree, but recent rap seems to lack that. rap of last 5-9 years! with the exception of a few albums ofcourse

I don't think you are looking.

Queen is considered a great rock group. We are the Champions lyrics are simplistic and lame as hell. Bohemian rapsody is full of gibberish and lame voice changes.

Sometimes we see what we want to see.

Fish crushed it.

Compile a volume of every blues, every country, every rock, every metal song-- guess what? Most of the lyrics will be lame and simplistic.

--

The differential treatment of hip hop in this context is tethered either to lack of intellectual sophistication or bigotry, whether intentional or otherwise (I didn't call you a 'stupid racist').

Also, are you referring to the use of the n-word by black people as a "racial slur"?

Dude, don't expect any legitimate argument if this is the rubbish you're proposing.

OutKast had an album that went ****ing diamond (and was the first rap group to get a Grammy for album of the year), completely changed the landscape of music, their lyrics I'd put ahead of the likes of John Lennon-- so there you have it, an erasure of a group that killed it with sales, award nominations, musical production (latter four albums all had original instrumentation) and lyricism that I bet ****s on 99.9999% of the sewage OP listens to.

Fish,

I don't think I took up the mantle of saying that every rock lyric is pure gold. There are simplistic lyrics everywhere in all genres of music. You used some of Queen's music as an example. First of all, I don't think it's an apples-to-apples argument, but I'll bite anyway. You may not like the lyrics or how they are sang in Bohemian Rhapsody. Fair enough, but I'll throw my respect behind the band that was able to create the riffs, music, and arrangement for Bohemian Rhapsody over Nicki Minaj "singing" about some guy eating out her *** any day of the week.

OutKast had an album that went ****ing diamond (and was the first rap group to get a Grammy for album of the year), completely changed the landscape of music, their lyrics I'd put ahead of the likes of John Lennon-- so there you have it, an erasure of a group that killed it with sales, award nominations, musical production (latter four albums all had original instrumentation) and lyricism that I bet ****s on 99.9999% of the sewage OP listens to.
You talking about southernplayalisticcaddilacmusic?
That's my favorite outcast album.

You seem to make an awful lot of assumptions in your posts. I pointed out the fact more than once in my original post that there is always exceptions to the rule. OutKast seems to be one of those exceptions. I will however, disagree with you that the likes of: "I'm sorry Miss Jackson, I AM FOR REAL" is better work than what John Lennon gave the world. As far as the 99.9999% of the sewage I'm accused to listening to, I'm quite happy to keep listening to it, as I'm sure you're quite happy listening to the rap music. Have a great day.

My favorite rapper is tupac. I listened to rap before tupac but his second album blew me away and thats when i really started to like rap music. On that album he sings a song call keep ya head up.
Im going off the top of my head here so i might get some lyrics wrong and im only gonna do one verse (not sure which verse it is tbh).
To all the ladies havin babies on ya own
i know its kinda rough and you feelin all alone
daddys long gone and he left ya by ya lonesome
Thank the lord for the kids even if nobody else want em
cause i think we can make it in fact im sure
and if you fall, stand tall and come back for more
cause aint nothin worse than when your son wants to know why his daddy dont love him no mo
you cant complain you was dealt this
helluva hand without a man feeling helpless
cause theres too many things for you to deal with
dyin inside but outside you lookin fearless
while tears is rollin down your cheeks
ya steady hopin things dont fall down this week
cause if it did ya couldn't take it
and dont blame me, i was given this world i didn't make it
(next part is my favorite)
now my sons gettin older and older
and cold, from havin the world on his shoulders
while the rich kids is drivin Benz
im still tryin to hold on to my survivin friends
and its crazy and seems it'll never let up
but, please, ya got to keep ya head up.

Yo, all I need is one mic, one beat, one stage
One ***** front, my face on the front page
Only if I had one gun, one girl and one crib
One god to show me how to do things his son did
Pure, like a cup of virgin blood; mixed with
151, one sip'll make a ***** flip
Writing names on my hollow tips, plotting ****
Mad violence who I'm gon' body, this hood politics
Acknowledge it, leave bodies chopped in garbage's
Seeds watch us, grow up and try to follow us
Police watch us {*siren*} roll up and try knocking us
One knee I ducked, could it be my time is up
But my luck, I got up, the cop shot again
Bus stop glass bursts, a fiend drops his Heineken
Ricocheting between the spots that I'm hiding in
Blacking out as I shoot back, **** getting hit! {*more sirens*}
This is my hood I'ma rep, to the death of it
'til everybody come home, little ****** is grown
Hoodrats, don't abortion your womb, we need more warriors soon
Sent from the star, sun and the moon
In this life of police chases street sweepers and coppers
Stick-up kids with no conscience, leaving victims with doctors
If you really think you ready to die, with nines out
This is what nas is bout, ***** the time is now!

Yo, all I need is one mic,
All I need is one mic, that's all I need
All I need is one mic, all I need ******
All I need is one mic, yeah

All I need is one blunt, one page, and one pen
One prayer - tell god forgive for one sin
Matter fact maybe more than one, look back
At all the hatred against me, **** all of them
Jesus died at age 33, there's thirty-three shots
From twin glocks there's sixteen apiece, that's thirty-two
Which means, one of my guns was holding 17
Twenty-seven hit your crew, six went into you
Everybody gotta die sometime; hope your funeral
Never gets shot up, bullets tear through the innocent
Nothing is fair, ****** roll up, shooting from wheelchairs
My heart is racing, tasting revenge in the air
I let the **** slide for too many years, too many times
Now I'm strapped with a couple of macs, too many nines
If y'all ****** really wit me get busy load up the semis
Do more than just hold it explode the clip until you empty
There's nothing in our way, they bust, we bust, they rush, we rush
Lead flyin, feel it? I feel it in my gut
That we take these bitches to war, lie 'em down
Cause we stronger now my ***** the time is now!!

All I need is one mic, that's all I need, that's all I need
All I need is one mic, there's nothing else in the world
All I need is one mic, that's all a ***** need to do his thing why'know
All I need is one mic,

All I need is one life, one try, one breath I'm one man
What I stand for speaks for itself, they don't understand
Or want to see me on top, too egotistical
Talking all that slick ****, the same way these bitches do
Wonder what my secrets is, ******'ll move on you
Only if they know, what your weakness is I have none
Too late to grab guns I'm blasting cause I'm a cool *****
Thought I wouldn't have that *** done? fooled you ******
What you call a infinite brawl, eternal souls clashing
War gets deep, some beef is everlasting
Complete with thick scars, brothers knifing each other
Up in prison yards, drama, where does it start?
You know the block was ill as a youngster
Every night it was like a, cop would get killed body found in the dumpster
For real a hustler, purchased my range, ****** throwing dirt on my name
Jealous cause fiends got they work and complain
Bitches left me cause they thought I was finished
Should of knew she wasn't true she came to me when her man caught a sentence
Diamonds are blinding, I never make the same mistakes
Moving with a change of pace, lighter load, see now the king is straight
Swelling my melon cause none of these ****** real
Heard he was, telling police, how can a kingpin squeal?
This is crazy, I'm on the right track I'm finally found
You need some soul searching, the time is now

All I need is one mic, yeah, yeah yeah yeah
All I need is one mic, that's all I ever needed in this world, **** cash
All I need is one mic, **** the cars, the jewelry
All I need is one mic, to spread my voice to the whole world

"rapping about negative, self-indulgent, nonsense" Jazzman12

You nailed it right here, Jazzman. I love the music but the lyrics are damaging a generation of black youth.

Some get a little and some get none
Some catch a bad one and some leave the job half done
I was one who never had and always mad
Never knew my dad, mother **** the ***
Anyway I did pick up, flipped the clip up
Too many stick-ups, 'cause ****** had the trigger hic-ups
I couldn't get a job, nappy hair was not allowed
My mother couldn't afford us all, she had to throw me out
I walked the strip, with just a clip, who wanna hit?
They got 'em quick, I had to eat, this money's good as spent
I threw in graves, I wasn't paid enough
I kept 'em long 'cause I couldn't afford a haircut
I got laughed at, I got jumped, I got dissed
I got upset, I got a Tec and a banana clip
Was down to throw the led to any tellin' crackhead
I'm still livin' broke, so a lot of good it would've did
Or done, if not for bad luck, I would have none
Why did I have to live a life of such a bad one
Why when I was a kid and played I was a sad one
And always wanted to live like this and that one

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
A ghetto *******, born next to the projects
Livin' in the slums with bums, I said now why treach?
do I have to be like this? momma said I'm priceless
So I am all worthless, starved, and it's just for being a nice kid
Sometimes I wish I could afford a pistol then, though
to stop the hell, I would've ended things a while ago
I ain't have jack but a black hat and napsack
war scars stolen cars and a blackjack
Drop that, and now you want me to rap and give?
Say somethin' positive? Well positive ain't where I live
I lived right around a corner from west hell
Two blocks from south ****, and once in a jail cell
The sun never shone on my side of the street, see
And only once or twice a week I would speak
I walked alone, my state of mind was home sweet home
I couldn't keep a girl, they wanted kids and cars with chrome
Some life, it you ain't wear gold your style was old
And you got more juice and dope for every bottle sold
Hell no, I say there's gotta be a better way
But hey, never gamble in a game that you can't play
I'm slowin' and flowin' and goin' in on and knowin' not now
How will I do it, how will I make it? I won't, that's how
Why me, huh?

[Chorus]

My third year into adulthood, and still a knucklehead
I'm better off dead, huh, that's what my neighbor said
I don't do jack but figh and, lightin' up the streets at night
Playin' hide and seek with a machetti like a Freddy swipe
Some say I'm rollin' on, nothin' but a dog now
I answer that with a **** you, and a bow-wow?
'Cause I done been through more **** within the last week
Than a fly blowin' the doo-doo on the concrete
I been a deadbeat, dead to the world and dead wrong
Since I was born that's my life, oh you don't know this song?
So don't say jack, and please don't say you understand
All that man to man talk can walk damn
If you ain't live you couldn't feel it, so kill it, skillet
And all that talk about it won't help it out, now will it?
And illtown fell like I stuck-up pops, got shot
Don't worry, got hit by a flurry, and his punk-*** dropped
But I'm the one who has been labeled as an outcast
They changin' schools, I'm the misfit that will outlast
But that's cool with the bull, smack 'em backwards
That's what you get for ****in' with a ghetto *******

[Outro]
If you ain't ever been to the ghetto
Don't ever come to the ghetto
'Cause you ain't understand the ghetto
And stay the **** out of the ghetto

My favorite rapper is tupac. I listened to rap before tupac but his second album blew me away and thats when i really started to like rap music. On that album he sings a song call keep ya head up.
Im going off the top of my head here so i might get some lyrics wrong and im only gonna do one verse (not sure which verse it is tbh).
To all the ladies havin babies on ya own
i know its kinda rough and you feelin all alone
daddys long gone and he left ya by ya lonesome
Thank the lord for the kids even if nobody else want em
cause i think we can make it in fact im sure
and if you fall, stand tall and come back for more
cause aint nothin worse than when your son wants to know why his daddy dont love him no mo
you cant complain you was dealt this
helluva hand without a man feeling helpless
cause theres too many things for you to deal with
dyin inside but outside you lookin fearless
while tears is rollin down your cheeks
ya steady hopin things dont fall down this week
cause if it did ya couldn't take it
and dont blame me, i was given this world i didn't make it
(next part is my favorite)
now my sons gettin older and older
and cold, from havin the world on his shoulders
while the rich kids is drivin Benz
im still tryin to hold on to my survivin friends
and its crazy and seems it'll never let up
but, please, ya got to keep ya head up.

Tupac was my fave too. Prolific writer, awesome rapper.

Fish,

I don't think I took up the mantle of saying that every rock lyric is pure gold. There are simplistic lyrics everywhere in all genres of music. You used some of Queen's music as an example. First of all, I don't think it's an apples-to-apples argument, but I'll bite anyway. You may not like the lyrics or how they are sang in Bohemian Rhapsody. Fair enough, but I'll throw my respect behind the band that was able to create the riffs, music, and arrangement for Bohemian Rhapsody over Nicki Minaj "singing" about some guy eating out her *** any day of the week.

in a way it is not about simplistic vs complex.
but about the lyrical content? like you want a "positive" message. we are the champions is uplifting and positive.

an nicki mijan singing about someone eating her something. is maybe uplifting and positive to some. but overall it is a vulgar message

Some get a little and some get none
Some catch a bad one and some leave the job half done
I was one who never had and always mad
Never knew my dad, mother **** the ***
Anyway I did pick up, flipped the clip up
Too many stick-ups, 'cause ****** had the trigger hic-ups
I couldn't get a job, nappy hair was not allowed
My mother couldn't afford us all, she had to throw me out
I walked the strip, with just a clip, who wanna hit?
They got 'em quick, I had to eat, this money's good as spent
I threw in graves, I wasn't paid enough
I kept 'em long 'cause I couldn't afford a haircut
I got laughed at, I got jumped, I got dissed
I got upset, I got a Tec and a banana clip
Was down to throw the led to any tellin' crackhead
I'm still livin' broke, so a lot of good it would've did
Or done, if not for bad luck, I would have none
Why did I have to live a life of such a bad one
Why when I was a kid and played I was a sad one
And always wanted to live like this and that one

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
A ghetto *******, born next to the projects
Livin' in the slums with bums, I said now why treach?
do I have to be like this? momma said I'm priceless
So I am all worthless, starved, and it's just for being a nice kid
Sometimes I wish I could afford a pistol then, though
to stop the hell, I would've ended things a while ago
I ain't have jack but a black hat and napsack
war scars stolen cars and a blackjack
Drop that, and now you want me to rap and give?
Say somethin' positive? Well positive ain't where I live
I lived right around a corner from west hell
Two blocks from south ****, and once in a jail cell
The sun never shone on my side of the street, see
And only once or twice a week I would speak
I walked alone, my state of mind was home sweet home
I couldn't keep a girl, they wanted kids and cars with chrome
Some life, it you ain't wear gold your style was old
And you got more juice and dope for every bottle sold
Hell no, I say there's gotta be a better way
But hey, never gamble in a game that you can't play
I'm slowin' and flowin' and goin' in on and knowin' not now
How will I do it, how will I make it? I won't, that's how
Why me, huh?

[Chorus]

My third year into adulthood, and still a knucklehead
I'm better off dead, huh, that's what my neighbor said
I don't do jack but figh and, lightin' up the streets at night
Playin' hide and seek with a machetti like a Freddy swipe
Some say I'm rollin' on, nothin' but a dog now
I answer that with a **** you, and a bow-wow?
'Cause I done been through more **** within the last week
Than a fly blowin' the doo-doo on the concrete
I been a deadbeat, dead to the world and dead wrong
Since I was born that's my life, oh you don't know this song?
So don't say jack, and please don't say you understand
All that man to man talk can walk damn
If you ain't live you couldn't feel it, so kill it, skillet
And all that talk about it won't help it out, now will it?
And illtown fell like I stuck-up pops, got shot
Don't worry, got hit by a flurry, and his punk-*** dropped
But I'm the one who has been labeled as an outcast
They changin' schools, I'm the misfit that will outlast
But that's cool with the bull, smack 'em backwards
That's what you get for ****in' with a ghetto *******

[Outro]
If you ain't ever been to the ghetto
Don't ever come to the ghetto
'Cause you ain't understand the ghetto
And stay the **** out of the ghetto

sure 2pac has some deep lyrics. but yeah that kinda music stopped in the early 2000. my fave of t2pac is letter 2 my unborn! and dear mamma