What's new

The "If Hayward Leaves" Planning Thread

I would have....

I proposed the Deron to Brooklyn trade months before it happened. Had we drafted better.....
Traded AK once we gave his spot to Boozer. That trade would have given us the support needed around Deron, Booz and Okur. Wasted opportunity...
Traded Al Jefferson and all of our assets (when we had numerous picks) for Curry when they went through their ownership change, he had his foot issues, and there might have been a chance.
Drafted Kawhi over Burks
Drafted Booker over Lyles
Kept Millap because he was too good to just let go.
Traded Favors over a season ago when we realized that Gobert was going to be the best defensive center in the NBA and we needed to surround him with shooters.
Traded Hayward over a season ago because I thought he might leave. We would have gotten either the 2017 or 2018 Brooklyn pick and probably a player.

But I make terrible calls too. I liked that big center from Kansas Cole Aldrich more than he was worth. I thought some other players might pan out that never did. I would have kept CJ Miles which some Jazz people would have hated.

This is a real plan for Big Ballers:

- Trade Hood for the 12th pick, grab Donovan Mitchell.
- Trade for the 15th pick by absorbing Allen Crabbe's salary. Draft OG Anunoby
- Draft Ojeleye at 24
- Draft Kuzma at 30
- Draft someone at 42
- Draft someone at 55

All those players are playing this year.

- Trade Joe Johnson for a future draft pick. Be nice to Joe Jesus and make sure it's a contender.
- Renounce rights to all our FA's
- Try to trade Boris Diaw for something of value, like a future 1st rounder
- Try to trade Burks, but dont give up significant asset to do so. If we cant dump him somewhere, just keep him.
- Trade Favors for something, maybe like Mario Hezonja (that could be possible?)

Depth Chart:

Dante Exum - Raul Neto
Allen Crabbe - Donovan Mitchell - Burks
OG Anunoby - Semi Ojeleye
Trey Lyles - Kyle Kuzma
Rudy Gobert - Joe Bolomboy

Pure bedlam, supremely athletic team with little proven outside shooting. It's fun to watch and yet will probably be bad enough to get a top 8 pick at least.

Last edited:

- Draft Ojeleye at 24
- Draft Kuzma at 30
- Draft someone at 42
- Draft someone at 55

- Trade Joe Johnson for a future draft pick. Be nice to Joe Jesus and make sure it's a contender.

Depth Chart:

Dante Exum - Raul Neto
Allen Crabbe - Donovan Mitchell
Trey Lyles - Kyle Kuzma

Pure bedlam, supremely athletic team with little proven outside shooting. It's fun to watch and yet will probably be bad enough to get a top 8 pick at least.

You have some good ideas in there and the team would definitely contend for a high lottery pick. My only issue is this - why would you do all of this draft movement when the thread is about what we would do if Hayward doesn't come back? So would you trade Hood for #12 and risk running Hayward off? Would you trade for Crabbe even if that meant you were sending a strong message to Hayward that Hill and Ingles aren't coming back?

You have some good ideas in there and the team would definitely contend for a high lottery pick. My only issue is this - why would you do all of this draft movement when the thread is about what we would do if Hayward doesn't come back? So would you trade Hood for #12 and risk running Hayward off? Would you trade for Crabbe even if that meant you were sending a strong message to Hayward that Hill and Ingles aren't coming back?

Is this thread not about a hypothetical scenario where the Jazz know Hayward is leaving the team?

If not, there are only 2 pre-free agency trades involved here. If Mitchell is available at 12, I'm trading Hood for him no matter what. To me that feels like a smart move, similar to how the Thunder traded Ibaka when they could. I dont think Hood is going to be the reason Hayward stays or leaves.

The Crabbe move is one you couldn't do though without having prior knowledge, so yeah, we couldn't do that.

Is this thread not about a hypothetical scenario where the Jazz know Hayward is leaving the team?

If not, there are only 2 pre-free agency trades involved here. If Mitchell is available at 12, I'm trading Hood for him no matter what. To me that feels like a smart move, similar to how the Thunder traded Ibaka when they could. I dont think Hood is going to be the reason Hayward stays or leaves.

The Crabbe move is one you couldn't do though without having prior knowledge, so yeah, we couldn't do that.

What happened to Favors in your scenario? Did he retire?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

No. Read the first paragraph of the thread. This is post draft in July because we won't jeopardize losing Hayward.

I'm not opposed to the Crabbe (or Harkless) deal, but it wouldn't work pre-Hayward decision.

Hood for Mitchell is quite the gamble. Dont know enough about him to know if he is worth it.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

No. Read the first paragraph of the thread. This is post draft in July because we won't jeopardize losing Hayward.

I'm not opposed to the Crabbe (or Harkless) deal, but it wouldn't work pre-Hayward decision.

Hood for Mitchell is quite the gamble. Dont know enough about him to know if he is worth it.

I just doubt the Jazz are going to be blindsided by his choice.

Basically my plan is just burn it all down around Gobert/Exum/Lyles/Mitchell. Dont sign anyone worth a dime and be a contract eater for teams looking to unload. The specifics arent super important besides getting Mitchell and trying to trade up in the draft again to get an Anunoby/Kennard/Collins.

Basically you try to get as many draft picks in the 20s as possible, considering that's the only place in the draft that DL has had success

- Draft Ojeleye at 24
- Draft Kuzma at 30
- Draft someone at 42
- Draft someone at 55

- Try to trade Burks, but dont give up significant asset to do so. If we cant dump him somewhere, just keep him.
- Trade Favors for something, maybe like Mario Hezonja (that could be possible?)

Depth Chart:

Dante Exum - Raul Neto
Trey Lyles - Kyle Kuzma

I like it Cy. I was going to take issue with Burks, but realized 1-at this point jazz would have to pay to make him go away, 2- his value could increase with playing time and 3- they need to pay somebody to make the salary floor.

Also, Could we make room for Joe Ingles? Somebody is going to need to lighten the mood in the post game interviews.

Basically my plan is just burn it all down around Gobert/Exum/Lyles/Mitchell. Dont sign anyone worth a dime and be a contract eater for teams looking to unload. The specifics arent super important besides getting Mitchell and trying to trade up in the draft again to get an Anunoby/Kennard/Collins.

I this idea a lot actually. You know I love all four of those players (Mitchell, Collins, Kennard, Anunoby). You play the year out and hope for a top-5 pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I'd throw a max at Otto Porter Jr., give Hill a 4 year deal, partial non guaranteed 4th year (105 million with 90 million guaranteed) thought Hill played better with no Hayward. Honestly move Burks for cap space. Resign Ingles -no more then 4 years 60 million. And call it a summer! Let our draft picks develop and see the internal growth that hood/ lyles/exum/bolomoboy have over the summer. Give them opportunities!

I'd throw a max at Otto Porter Jr., give Hill a 4 year deal, partial non guaranteed 4th year (105 million with 90 million guaranteed) thought Hill played better with no Hayward. Honestly move Burks for cap space. Resign Ingles -no more then 4 years 60 million. And call it a summer! Let our draft picks develop and see the internal growth that hood/ lyles/exum/bolomoboy have over the summer. Give them opportunities!

If you are going with the compete route, I think you have to look at a guy like Gallinari. You wont get Porter, WAS will just match.

I just don't find the Mitchell trade realistic at all. We arent going to know Hayward's decision before the draft. We aren't trading a proven NBA starter for a draft pick to keep an NBA All Star in town. Unrealistic. But if that's your play, so be it.

If he does leave, tanking seems great but ask Gobert what he thinks...

The issue is you won't be bad enough with Gobert to lose enough... Maybe if we play the eff out of Lyles and Exum, but then you are banking on nailing the 2018 draft and that player being good before Gobert decides he's out.

I think it's either get some win now stuff to replace Hayward or go full rebuild, which may include trading Rudy... we've done half rebuilds before... it's not effective and won't give us the upside we need.

If Hayward leaves I think we call john lucas III and start da tank... and I'd be pissed.

- Draft Ojeleye at 24
- Draft Kuzma at 30
- Draft someone at 42
- Draft someone at 55

Depth Chart:

Dante Exum - Raul Neto
Trey Lyles - Kyle Kuzma

Except we don't know what Hayward's doing until after the draft.