What's new

The Jazz do not get the bi-annual exception

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
I've seen people (as recently as today) say that the Jazz have the BAE to work with in addition to the room exception. I've seen other people say that because they are under the cap, the only exception the Jazz get is the room exception.

So I looked it up in the salary cap FAQ, and it clearly states teams which use the room exception automatically lose their BAE: "BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used its Taxpayer Mid-Level or Room Mid-Level exception." http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Just thought I'd post this as a public service announcement.

I just learned from scanning through this that teams above the Apron:
Teams cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction

Also now I am even more confused after reading this in the BAE paragraph:
It cannot be used by a team that has already used its Taxpayer Mid-Level or Room Mid-Level exception
So when, how, and why would a team ever use the BAE. The room and MLE are better and if you cant use both why would you choose BAE?

So when, how, and why would a team ever use the BAE. The room and MLE are better and if you cant use both why would you choose BAE?
I think that means only teams which are above the cap but below the luxury tax threshold get the BAE.

The FAQ distinguishes between the Taxpayer MidLevel and Non-taxpayer Midlevel. If I understand correctly, you can take the BAE and the Non-taxpayer Midlevel in the same year.