What's new

The Jazz have the 5th best point differential in the west

Doublea

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-23%20at%205.36.58%20PM.png

We passed Dallas last night. We just need to get healthy now and get those into the win column!

When the Jazz win, it's usually in a blowout (13 of our 19 wins were by double digits). When the Jazz lose, it's usually close (half of our losses were either in OT or by 5 or fewer in regulation).

6-16 in games decided by single digits.
13-8 in games decided by double digits.

Yeah, the Jazz have a major problem in close games.

6-16 in games decided by single digits.
13-8 in games decided by double digits.

Yeah, the Jazz have a major problem in close games.

I'd like to blame Hayward here but that's not fair. With no Favors and no Burks, Hayward is virtually our only go-to guy down the stretch which is not only additional pressure on him but also easier for opponents to defend.

The difference between 4 and 5 is huge in this season's top-heavy West.

I'd like to blame Hayward here but that's not fair. With no Favors and no Burks, Hayward is virtually our only go-to guy down the stretch which is not only additional pressure on him but also easier for opponents to defend.

Ya I don't think we can blame one guy for close games. A lot of the close games we have lost are where we've come back to tie it and then barely lose.

It's not even the offense that's the problem. Utah's offense in close games has been terrific. They just can't get stops.

Some good points here.

Can anyone provide Burke's and Neto's on court/off court stats as well as defensive metrics. That is, I recall last season someone posting a stat that said Exum was the 4th best pg in the league at staying in front of his man or something. That stat and other individual defensive ones.

Anyone?

I don't know what the stats say, but Hood uses a ton of possessions down the stretch of close games. So, I disagree strongly with your last sentence.

It's not even the offense that's the problem. Utah's offense in close games has been terrific. They just can't get stops.

We've hit clutch shots, but I wouldn't call our offense terrific in close games. It's one-on-one, and we get very few layups. I don't think you can expect many wins when you play that way in those situations.

We've hit clutch shots, but I wouldn't call our offense terrific in close games. It's one-on-one, and we get very few layups. I don't think you can expect many wins when you play that way in those situations.

David Locke was saying on the radio that in games where the score is within 5 points with 3 minutes or fewer left, Utah's offensive efficiency is 5th in the NBA and their defensive efficiency is 23rd.

That San Antonio differential is crazy. Historic, perhaps... I wonder what the all time record is?

I believe I read that if they finished the season today that would be the new record and Golden State's would be 4th.

That San Antonio differential is crazy. Historic, perhaps... I wonder what the all time record is?

People aren't seeing how good San Antonio is because of Golden State. San Antonio is probably going to win a championship, imho.

David Locke was saying on the radio that in games where the score is within 5 points with 3 minutes or fewer left, Utah's offensive efficiency is 5th in the NBA and their defensive efficiency is 23rd.

cool?

I'm looking at the Ws and Ls and I've got a few hypotheses. I'm not celebrating the offense, if that's okay with you.

cool?

I'm looking at the Ws and Ls and I've got a few hypotheses. I'm not celebrating the offense, if that's okay with you.

What are your hypotheses, and can you back em up with numbers other than the W-L column? I haven't been able to watch many of these close ones-- and it doesn't do much to dismiss the stats of others when you don't bring forth any of your own.

The difference between 4 and 5 is huge in this season's top-heavy West.

Clippers are top of tier 2
Warriors are on top of tier 1.
Big gap between tier 1 and 2 that I think will expand over the second half

What are your hypotheses, and can you back em up with numbers other than the W-L column? I haven't been able to watch many of these close ones-- and it doesn't do much to dismiss the stats of others when you don't bring forth any of your own.

The offense (in general, but specifically down the stretch of a close game) is very predictable and has very few moving parts. 2 to 4 of the defenders basically get to take the play off (Rudy and Booker are especially easy to defend when we go one-on-one like we have). Winning basketball pulls the last strands of energy from the opponent by making them defend. We're not doing that, and opposing offenses have a little extra in the tank.

And, while we are making some great clutch shots, most of them are of the high-degree-of-difficulty variety. In other words, not the kind you want to bet on making on a consistent basis. And consistency in these situations is precisely the goal. In other words, this offensive efficiency that Locke's stats are showing is fool's gold. IMO.

cool?

Your hypotheses don't line up with reality. This isn't even subjective. Our offensive efficiency is currently 9th in the NBA. Defensive efficiency is below league average.

https://www.nbastuffer.com/2015-2016_NBA_Regular_Season_Advanced_Stats.html

You can point out whatever flaws in the offense you want, and they do exist, but our offense, on a per-possession basis, is top 10 in the NBA. It's been even better in clutch situations. It's not the reason we're losing games.