What's new

The Last Dance (Utah Jazz Edition)

Ineptimusprime

So assuming a “runback” with no major moves, what is our luxury tax bill at the end of next season? Is it really $60 million as Hollinger mentions in his article in The Athletic? Assuming Conley comes back for two years at $25 million? Is that $60 million without us using the mini-MLE?

The point I’m driving at is Smith might pay it once (or make us think he’ll pay it once but execute a tax saving trade at the deadline), but ain’t no way in hell he’ll pay it twice.

So this next season really is the last bullet in the chamber, isn’t it? Then we’re the Rockets, aren’t we?

So assuming a “runback” with no major moves, what is our luxury tax bill at the end of next season? Is it really $60 million as Hollinger mentions in his article in The Athletic? Assuming Conley comes back for two years at $25 million? Is that $60 million without us using the mini-MLE?

The point I’m driving at is Smith might pay it once (or make us think he’ll pay it once but execute a tax saving trade at the deadline), but ain’t no way in hell he’ll pay it twice.

So this next season really is the last bullet in the chamber, isn’t it? Then we’re the Rockets, aren’t we?

No, not the Rockets, the Bucks. They had a few great regular seasons with disappointing playoff finishes. They ran it back the year prior, and when that didn’t work then went all in (Holiday). If it hadn’t worked this year they almost certainly would have fired their coach as the next move.

The Jazz had a good showing in the bubble before falling apart. Strike 1. They had a great regular season showing this year before falling apart in the second round. Stike 2. If they run it back again, stay remotely healthy, and again fail to have a good playoff showing this next year I’d expect a coaching change and some major roster changes. The good news is the team will be in a better position to make changes next summer if they need.

This is basically what Tony Jones has said. He’ll pay it and run it back this year, but anything short of finals will cause a massive overhaul next offseason. If things don’t look great by the trade deadline, yeah I could see the changes coming at that point too.