What's new

The Maturation of Derrick Favors

Coach Ellis

https://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/23/the-maturation-of-derrick-favors/

This seems to be a theme this season. Guys maturing and settling into bigger roles and finding success doing so. Derrick Favors. Gordon Hayward. Rudy Gobert. Enes Kanter. Alec Burks. Hopefully we can add Dante Exum and Rodney Hood to this list next year.

It sure feels like Quin Snyder has the development of this team (as a whole) and these players (as individuals) exactly where DL wanted them. I'm excited to see what the future holds for this group AND I'm excited to see what they can do as they continue to grow and develop.

It sure sounds like the players are buying whatever Quin Snyder is selling.

It's great watching these guys grow and grow as a group. Don't leave Trey of the list either. I'm not a fan but the only way to go for him is up and under Snyder is the way to do it.

https://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/23/the-maturation-of-derrick-favors/

This seems to be a theme this season. Guys maturing and settling into bigger roles and finding success doing so. Derrick Favors. Gordon Hayward. Rudy Gobert. Enes Kanter. Alec Burks. Hopefully we can add Dante Exum and Rodney Hood to this list next year.

It sure feels like Quin Snyder has the development of this team (as a whole) and these players (as individuals) exactly where DL wanted them. I'm excited to see what the future holds for this group AND I'm excited to see what they can do as they continue to grow and develop.

It sure sounds like the players are buying whatever Quin Snyder is selling.
That's why a few wins are important, even if it drops us in the lottery a few slots. Players will buy into a system if they can see progress both collectively and individually.

This article reminds us that Favors stayed in Utah to work with assistants last summer instead of going home AFTER signing a 45+ million dollar contract. We can all name players who signed healthy deals and then stopped working hard.

“I spent a lot of time this off-season working on my jump shot and my whole offensive game,” Favors told ProBasketballTalk. “When Quin got hired we talked, he told me how he was going to use me in the offense, the things he wanted me to work on, the things to keep improving on and so far it seems to be paying off.”

Funny how a little communication and setting specific expectations works.

Yep. I like everything that Quin is doing with these guys and I posted the article because it illustrates how he's going about developing these players and the success that they're having by buying into his program. I think that these kids will keep getting better and better under his guidance.

That's why a few wins are important, even if it drops us in the lottery a few slots. Players will buy into a system if they can see progress both collectively and individually.

Agreed and based on the last few drafts, it doesn't matter if you fall a few spots if you draft well (Paul George, Kawhi, Antetokounmpo, Gobert, etc.).

Agreed and based on the last few drafts, it doesn't matter if you fall a few spots if you draft well (Paul George, Kawhi, Antetokounmpo, Gobert, etc.).

Thompson/Burks :eek:

I agree good players can be found throughout the draft, but the likelihood is much greater at #1 than it is at #5. And at #5 than at #10, etc.

Last edited:
Thompson/Burks :eek:

I agree good players can be found throughout the draft, but the likelihood is much greater at #1 than it is at #5. And at #5 than at #10, etc.
Agreed. The key thing is to identify that group of players that you want. Don't worry about mocks, or consensus or positions. Set your board and stick to it. That's how you get value no matter where you select.

I truly believe that it makes a huge difference if you have an established coach that the players are ready to buy into the system and perfect the strategy.

'Maturation' of Derrick Favors? What is he some kind of red wine or something? As long as he doesn't turn out to be the 'fruity' kind...