What's new

The Missing Piece

NUMBERICA

2022 Award Winner
Foreward (you can probably skip this): It's abundantly clear that looking at NBA history - including and especially recent history - that teams generally need three players that they can frame their offense and defense around in order to be a legitimate contender.

It's abundantly clear to anyone that The Jazz have at least one legitimate championship piece to build around in Mitchell, and probably two in Gobert. So it begs the question of who completes the triad.

What's less clear is if the Jazz can be the exception to that rule of thumb (the exception that proves the rule), or if that third player is already on the roster. I would strongly argue that you grab all the good pieces you can, whenever you can, so the discussion above is largely a moot point. Furthermore, I would strongly argue that considering the limitations that this roster has in off-the-bounce scoring and consistent strong-shooting lineups, the Jazz are especially needing that third player. What amplifies this necessity is how difficult it is to keep a large number of players together.

The Necessary Characteristics of the Missing Piece

Baseline Character: "The strength of the team is the team."
This concept cannot be sacrificed in the pursuit. Players are not static, there are those that - given the opportunity - could fit the culture, even if not obviously so at first glance. We all know what that approximates (tough, defensive-minded, fun, loyal, reasonably efficient, shares the ball, can make an open shot), in addition to that they MUST be able to play ALONGSIDE Mitchell and Gobert.
Playmaker: They can create their own shot
This is perhaps the most important factor beyond the baseline questions. We know this team can go quite dry, especially if Mitchell isn't in the zone yet or isn't on the floor. It's an unfortunate but predictable reality. So the Jazz can use a bucket-getter. They can't be a black hole/chucker, but they have to be productive.
Shooter: They have to spread the floor
This is of nearly equal importance of playmaking and productivity. Considering Mitchell's prowess around the rim, and Gobert's complete reliance on buckets at the rim, this team needs spacing as much as possible. This will require both efficiency AND volume. They need to be shooting at least three 3-pointers a game, and 35% or better.
Better-Than-Average Defender: They can't be a liability/"two way player"
This can be tucked into the "baseline characteristics," but it deserves emphasis as this team's identity is built around defense and should remain so. The particulars of the defensive skillset come down to 'positional' questions or the players' size, but they need to be AT LEAST willing to put in the effort and have the intelligence to work within a scheme.
Versatile: Positional or otherwise
The league gets smarter and smarter, and the playoffs are about adjustments. A wing/big ("Kawhi, Butler, PG") allows you to play PF by committee, gives switchability on D, and punishes the opponent with speed and shooting; while a playmaking or shooting 4/center ("Porzingis") allows you to have a unique edge (size AND skill) in this league that covers some of the fundamentals. This flexibility/adaptability at the highest levels of competition aren't a luxury, they're a necessity.
Durable: Healthy
They have to play. They have to make it to the playoffs. Obviously this is somewhat a matter of chance, but it's certainly and obviously not the only factor.
Young Enough: Young enough
This window has just opened, if it's opened at all. It's pretty self-evident and self-explanatory​

In my view, the guys that could remotely be available and fit the bill (or could develop into such a player):
-Paul George
-Jimmy Butler
-Kawhi Leonard
-Kristaps Porzingis
-Aaron Gordon
-Andrew Wiggins?
-Otto Porter???

I know we've talked about some of these guys perhaps to death, but I just wanted to spend too much time to outline the characteristics and why it's important they all be met. Who am I missing? How the hell do we get any of these guys?

The other possibility is the draft, but I know nothing about the prospects, so if anyone wants to talk about that and how we get there, please do. The clock is ticking if we're going that way, IMO.

Last edited:
-Paul George

If he wanted to come, I’d take him, but he’s not the kind of guy I’d seek out.

-Jimmy Butler

Absolutely.

-Kawhi Leonard

I’ve got questions.

-Kristaps Porzingis

I think he’s a lot closer to the Kirilenko mindframe than the Donovan mindframe.

-Aaron Gordon

I’d take him if we could get him.

-Andrew Wiggins?

No. Staypuft Marshmellow Man.

-Otto Porter???

I’d be very curious about him making an Oladipo jump in our system, which I could see.

-Paul George

If he wanted to come, I’d take him, but he’s not the kind of guy I’d seek out.

-Jimmy Butler

Absolutely.

-Kawhi Leonard

I’ve got questions.

-Kristaps Porzingis

I think he’s a lot closer to the Kirilenko mindframe than the Donovan mindframe.

-Aaron Gordon

I’d take him if we could get him.

-Andrew Wiggins?

No. Staypuft Marshmellow Man.

-Otto Porter???

I’d be very curious about him making an Oladipo jump in our system, which I could see.

I would consider George and since he is a FA, there is a possibility even though it is small. He seems to be headed for LA.

Butler, don't really know how the Jazz would get him. His comments about Teague taking out Rubio seems like he isn't the best teammate choice. He had issues with guys in Chicago too.

Wiggins should not be on the list. Guy is weak mentally. Lots of talent but not an Alpha dog.

Leonard - come on this guy is a top player in the NBA and has become a diva. Not a good teammate. Wants to play in a big market. Doesn't want 3 hr practices. No chance of getting him but does not have Jazz DNA. I still love his talent but there is no chance he would consider Utah.

Gordon - loved him pre-draft, still can't shoot consistently and he seems more worried about his image than winning. I guess at the right price. Maybe Quinn could work his magic.

Porter - really like his game but the contract is horrible. I think he would really fit in the Utah system.

Kristaps Porzingis - He is not leaving NYC.

Damian Lillard is the missing piece. He played at Weber State. He likes Utah. He is normally a dead-eye at manufacturing points. He and Donovan are already friends. He is similar to Chris Paul with generating points. This would have to happen through trading....I do like Ricky Rubio also but it appears that Damian is at the next elite level.

Damian Lillard is the missing piece. He played at Weber State. He likes Utah. He is normally a dead-eye at manufacturing points. He and Donovan are already friends. He is similar to Chris Paul with generating points. This would have to happen through trading....I do like Ricky Rubio also but it appears that Damian is at the next elite level.
1 - Portland isn't trading him
2 - He's not positionally versatile in an ideal way and has never been known as a defender.

Perhaps what we need to be looking for is a young, somewhat under-the-radar (perhaps underachieving) guy that could have that Oladipo jump in him.

I mention Wiggins because all the tools are obviously there. Mentally, he seems like a product of his surroundings, so maybe the culture change could be the catalyst for fulfilling his promise? I have some similar but different feelings on Gordon.

Porter really is a question mark to me. He seems like he could be game-planned out of a game if he lacks punch off-the-dribble. And I basically never see him play.

Last edited:
Who am I missing? How the hell do we get any of these guys?
We can’t.

Perhaps what we need to be looking for is an young, somewhat under-the-radar (perhaps underachieving) guy that could have that Oladipo jump in him.
But this guy is out there.

He’s a young restricted free agent, with ties to Utah. And looking for a good NBA fit where he can make his mark.Fits a positional need, and his best years are ahead of him.

But this guy is out there.

He’s a young restricted free agent, with ties to Utah. And looking for a good NBA fit where he can make his mark.Fits a positional need, and his best years are ahead of him.
Go on (I didn't list Jabari for a multitude of reasons if that's where you're headed).

1 - Portland isn't trading him
2 - He's not positionally versatile in an ideal way and has never been known as a defender.
Agree, But I'd also argue Paul George doesn't fit your first requirement. He's been shown that he thinks he is the team and that the team doesn't come first. Also he's not coming here.

I thought about him on the list... but is he - for lack of a better word - a legit STAR?

Not a bad thought. Maybe he has another jump.
I think he's probably one of the more under the radar-ish great players in the league. I also think he might make a jump in a better system. He's already a 20ppg scorer, though. I think he's a really smart player, too, which is important.

I honestly think I prefer the idea of bringing in a Middleton to the idea of bringing in a PG. Considerations for the realistic aside, I think it might be easier to have a productive gelling if you aren't bringing in someone who is accustomed to being the centerpiece.

It is.

And he is far and away the guy who intersects the most with checking your requirement boxes, and ability to be acquired.
Ehh. Not feeling it. He's done some crybaby **** out there, is fragile, and has sub-par defensive tools and to my knowledge hasn't shown significant effort to make up for it.

I just don't see it. He has more of the makings of fools gold than he does an under-the-radar guy.

It is.

And he is far and away the guy who intersects the most with checking your requirement boxes, and ability to be acquired.
Except he doesn't check one of the 2 main issues. He's in no way shape or form a defensive player.

Also isn't Durable or that versatile. So if missing 3 marks and one of the 2 main one is most then you'd be right. But it's not most and I'm pretty sure he's a bad fit here.

Agree, But I'd also argue Paul George doesn't fit your first requirement. He's been shown that he thinks he is the team and that the team doesn't come first. Also he's not coming here.
Has he, though? Being upset that CJ Miles is taking the game-winner (and misses, of course) is hardly grounds for disqualification in my mind.