What's new

The most underrated starters in the NBA - Ingles Appreciation thread

Jack Strop

Interested in hearing opinions on who others may think are the most underarated starters in the league. I think Ingles has to be right at the top.

What's impressive about Joe is that his averages are up in all categories. And he's been the Jazz' most durable player over the past 4 years, playing in all but 3 games. At age 30, he's averaging > 30 mins/per this season. Whatever he's doing, the rest of the team should copy.

Ingles is shooting a career best 45.8%/44.6% and also averaging 4 assists. And generally pissing off every opponent he goes up against with his trash talk. He's been worth every penny of the contract he signed. He's an inspiration to all of us slow, unathletic, balding guys who look like we spend Saturday afternoons huffing and puffing our way through a rec league game and Saturday night downing a 6-pack.

The last is untrue, of course. We all know Quin challenged Joe to get in shape and Ingles responded. The latest change seems to be a willingness to shoot more, which is critical if/when Donovan gets doubled.

Your last point is important. I think 40 pt nights for Donovan like last night rely on Ingles drawing a tight defender. Golden State lost partly because they didn't keep a body on Ingles and that blew open the spacing for Mitch and the rest of the team. When Ingles defers and refrains from just letting fly it really hurts the team. His hot streak coinciding with the team's hot streak is no accident.

He is the third most important player on this team for the foreseeable future and it's not close.

The value of an Ingles goes far beyond his play on the court. He is well-liked by everyone, even his opponents it seems, and it makes the team more likable and draws fans.

He is the third most important player on this team for the foreseeable future and it's not close.

I wouldn't write off O'Neale as the 3rd most important player on this team going forward. That dude looks like he could be legit. He's old for a rookie but has tons of room for improvement.

Ingles is a good teammate, very funny, and is a fan favorite for sure. Joes trolling game on all of Donovan’s social media is very funny.

Joes contract looks big somedays I think he’s great to have on the team for moral and a steady rock for the organization. Joes being asked to do a lot for the guy he is. Joe has modified his game and became more aggressive and for looking like someone who should be playing at the local community center is able to guard one of the toughest players on the court at times for most the night.

I laughed so much last night: Rondo made 4 consecutive 3 pointers at the very end of the first half. After the 4th he went back smiling because obviously he couldn't believe it. Then, Ingles appeared on camera for a fraction of a second and you could see he'was clearly trash-talking Rondo, who looked at him almost scared. Rondo missed the only 3 he attempted in the 2nd half :D

I still remember when I had to constantly stick up for him against some of you hooligans, trying to say he didn't belong in the NBA. Knew he'd be good after I saw the improvements he made the second half of his first year

We've had fans THIS YEAR saying he shouldn't start or isn't worth his contract. It's silly. Even when he (rarely) has a bad shooting night he always brings passing and defense along with floor spacing. Then you add in his locker room presence (one of the few guys in the league who you can actually seriously say this about) and his love in the community. He's worth every penny.

Joe Ingles with a quick aggressive trigger is worth it. Joe Ingles who turns down open shots is not.

Lets be real, its only been the last month we've seen a super aggressive Ingles. Im a big fan of that Ingles.

Why don't playoff teams try prying him away? Or do we just not hear about 99% of the action behind the scenes?