What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

I didnt ask anything, but merely questionned your use of the term. Maybe my phrasing wasnt the best but it is possible for an intelligent person to understand the point. Fish understood it perfectly.

And continuing to try and divert this to semantics is sort of cute but too obvious and I already called you out for it.
You questioned something that was clearly explained, then when I asked you why you questioned it you said you understood what I said, but now you're back to questioning it?

FWIW, I think parity is simply defined as every team feeling like they can compete with every other team.

Short term parity (within a season), probably isn't that important, and I don't have strong feelings on if it is good or not.

Long term parity, where every team feels like they are able to compete at some point for a championship is what's actually important.
So you think all these teams can compete with Denver despite Denver mollywhopping their entire competition?

If Denver is healthy, they are clear favorites in the West. The only teams who can challenge them are a healthy Suns (super star heavy team, so much for parity!). The Bucks dominate the East if they are healthy, then it's the Celtics. IF it isnt one of those two teams, the Nuggets/Suns wreck whoever gets lucky out the East.

Everyone is mistaking a strong middle class for actual championship parity. If your ultimate goal is getting to the conference finals, there is some parity.

There is never going to be parity in the NBA when it comes to rings. Top 5 players win rings and no one else does unless they get extremely lucky.

So you think all these teams can compete with Denver despite Denver mollywhopping their entire competition?

If Denver is healthy, they are clear favorites in the West. The only teams who can challenge them are a healthy Suns (super star heavy team, so much for parity!). The Bucks dominate the East if they are healthy, then it's the Celtics. IF it isnt one of those two teams, the Nuggets/Suns wreck whoever gets lucky out the East.

I'm not sure how you inferred any of that from my post, maybe you were responding to the wrong one?

Or it's possible I was not very clear.

You questioned something that was clearly explained, then when I asked you why you questioned it you said you understood what I said, but now you're back to questioning it?
The definition you used is bad. The fact that you need star players is not proof of lacking parity, unless you also argue that access to star players is limited to specific teams.

I provided the correct proof of parity, which is variance. I can increase the sample size but it wont change the result.

The definition you used is bad. The fact that you need star players is not proof of lacking parity, unless you also argue that access to star players is limited to specific teams.

I provided the correct proof of parity, which is variance. I can increase the sample size but it wont change the result.
If you need a top 5 player to win a ring then only a maximum of 5 teams can have a chance, minus any of those teams that have injury issues. If all 5 have injury issues, you might have a chance at parity, if not you will just get a repeat of Denver smoking the entire playoffs as they injury riddled and mediocre (playoff) teams.

We still arent at a point in time where the top 5 wildly changes year to year. This isnt baseball or football where top players come and go year to year. The top players usually stay at the top for a while.

There are not 10 teams in the championship discussion.

I think there are.

Celtics
Heat
Bucks
Cavs
Nugs
Suns
Lakers
Griz
Warriors
Wolves

I have all 10 of those teams as legit contenders. If Zion is somewhat healthy then the Pelicans are also firmly in that conversation. The mavs are also right there if Kyrie and Luka begin to gel.

If you need a top 5 player to win a ring then only a maximum of 5 teams can have a chance, minus any of those teams that have injury issues. If all 5 have injury issues, you might have a chance at parity, if not you will just get a repeat of Denver smoking the entire playoffs as they injury riddled and mediocre (playoff) teams.

We still arent at a point in time where the top 5 wildly changes year to year. This isnt baseball or football where top players come and go year to year. The top players usually stay at the top for a while.
Jokic is actually a perfect example of equal opportunity, since every single team in the league had a chance to draft him. Some passed on him more than once.

All teams being equal each year is never realistic since mistakes are made and unpredictable things happen. However Nuggets and Bucks were not dominant teams 5 years ago which also is evidence of parity.

I think there are.

Celtics
Heat
Bucks
Cavs
Nugs
Suns
Lakers
Griz
Warriors
Wolves

I have all 10 of those teams as legit contenders. If Zion is somewhat healthy then the Pelicans are also firmly in that conversation. The mavs are also right there if Kyrie and Luka begin to gel.
Celtics: Yes. They have Tatum who can be a top 5 player next season.
Heat: No. They got lucky to get as far as they did. Always a threat to overachieve, but I cant see them actually going all the way unless they get extreme injury luck.
Bucks: Yes, they have Giannis, a clear top 5 player.
Cavs: No shot.
Nugs: Yes, top 3 player in Jokic.
Suns: Yes, top 5 player in KD.
Lakers: No shot
Grizz: No shot
Warriors: Yes, top 5 player in Curry.
Wolves: No shot

If the Lakers can stay fully healthy, maybe they could be a Championship team (Reaves would have to make a pretty big leap), but the odds of AD and Lebron getting through an entire playoff run healthy is slim to none.

Maybe teams figure the nuggets out. Last season wasn't jokic first season in the league so why didn't he win championships prior to last season or even make the finals since no one has a chance at beating the mighty nuggets.

Celtics: Yes. They have Tatum who can be a top 5 player next season.
Heat: No. They got lucky to get as far as they did. Always a threat to overachieve, but I cant see them actually going all the way unless they get extreme injury luck.
Bucks: Yes, they have Giannis, a clear top 5 player.
Cavs: No shot.
Nugs: Yes, top 3 player in Jokic.
Suns: Yes, top 5 player in KD.
Lakers: No shot
Grizz: No shot
Warriors: Yes, top 5 player in Curry.
Wolves: No shot
Agree to disagree.

Maybe teams figure the nuggets out. Last season wasn't jokic first season in the league so why didn't he win championships prior to last season or even make the finals since no one has a chance at beating the mighty nuggets.
Because Porter and Murray were perpetually injured and they didnt have Gordon.

dwight is paid just 1mil in Taiwan league
Is that better than the Chinese league? Certainly couldn’t be any worse. He’s probably like a god over there and probably putting up 30/20 every night. That actually isn’t bad. Props to Dwight. You have a narrow window to grab the bag, compared to other professions. It will take a lot more to earn that $1M ten or twenty years from now than it would to do that. Plus, you get a great experience living abroad in a place where you play a couple games per week over a short season, if it’s anything like the CBA.

So it looks like there are only four teams. This has to be the cushiest of gigs. I took a look at their list of MVPs. These are guys that not even homeytennis nor PGAB have ever heard of.

B8496C91-577A-4F8C-A2D7-52F3415B2E7E.jpeg

Is that better than the Chinese league? Certainly couldn’t be any worse. He’s probably like a god over there and probably putting up 30/20 every night. That actually isn’t bad. Props to Dwight. You have a narrow window to grab the bag, compared to other professions. It will take a lot more to earn that $1M ten or twenty years from now than it would to do that. Plus, you get a great experience living abroad in a place where you play a couple games per week over a short season, if it’s anything like the CBA.
It seems like china > taiwan based on fiba rankings. He seems happy there getting extra tv appearances and endorsement. His fun personality is opposite of Jeremy lin who is a Taiwan native.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/JLIPjRTGPqo?feature=share