What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Detroit just sucks but when teams choose not to use cap space to functionally improve their teams that is an element of tanking. SA has done that the past couple years. When teams decide to employ strategies that will make them worse on court in the name of development… that is tanking. It’s not like the teams throw out the Benny Hill music and then go out there and intentionally lose games. It’s more subtle than that.
You think SAS came into this year hoping for another top 5 pick? You think they want to tank with Wemby and with like 20 National TV games? Did they come in with losing intentions to get some great prospect in the 2024 draft?

No of course they didnt. This isnt the start they envisioned to the Wemby era. They are bad because their young guys are not winning players. If they could change that right now, they would do it in a heartbeat.

The fact that they dont sign some mid quality vets from FA proves nothing but the fact that they are not idiots.

It’s like barely after 5:30 where you are. Why are you awake?
I play basketball really early in the morning a few days a week lol. Sometimes hard to get going so I talk **** on the internet for a few before I leave.

You think SAS came into this year hoping for another top 5 pick? You think they want to tank with Wemby and with like 20 National TV games? Did they come in with losing intentions to get some great prospect in the 2024 draft?

No of course they didnt. This isnt the start they envisioned to the Wemby era. They are bad because their young guys are not winning players. If they could change that right now, they would do it in a heartbeat.

The fact that they dont sign some mid quality vets from FA proves nothing but the fact that they are not idiots.
Yes Pop has always cared about national TV games... its been his main focus throughout his years in SA. The NBA definitely didn't put all sorts or rules and processes in place because of something he started and spearheaded lol.

Yes... they are still accumulating talent and yes they punted on infinity cap space this offseason without making one real addition. That is what tanking looks like. They want another great prospect or two to pair with Victor/Sochan/Vassell. Did they want to lose this many in a row... probably not but they knew what they were doing.

My man, they have a dude playing PG who can barely dribble a basketball.

I play basketball really early in the morning a few days a week lol. Sometimes hard to get going so I talk **** on the internet for a few before I leave.
I've never been able to get up early for exercise. Well, at least get up early for exercise when I have a normal day beyond that. Historically it's either in the evening or, the past number of years, just on Saturday mornings I'll try to run 6 or more miles. This morning, however, I got up and ran 3.5 miles before the normal day. Something about it mentally and it not being my routine. I think I'm going to try to do it once a week.

My man, they have a dude playing PG who can barely dribble a basketball.
Sochan himself also said he doesn't really want to do it either lol.

For those that don't believe in tanking... teams don't come out and say "WE ARE TANKING!!!!". They lean into development, the collect seconds with cap space rather than making functional improvements, they will be conservative with injuries. Only a few teams are in that part of the cycle that lean in and some others just happen to suck. Like I don't think we started the season with thoughts of tanking but I think after seeing what we have they will lean in now. Detroit was trying real hard to be good and just suck. Portland hasn't even leaned into the tank yet (they will).

I've never been able to get up early for exercise. Well, at least get up early for exercise when I have a normal day beyond that. Historically it's either in the evening or, the past number of years, just on Saturday mornings I'll try to run 6 or more miles. This morning, however, I got up and ran 3.5 miles before the normal day. Something about it mentally and it not being my routine. I think I'm going to try to do it once a week.
I'm the complete opposite. Try every morning to either lift or play basketball. Busy season ends up killing that program but I am very much an early riser. Grew up on my grandpa's farm with a lot of early mornings and literally can't sleep in anymore... its a blessing and a curse.

I tried to do some evening stuff every now and again but end up too gassed most of the time. Night basketball also kills my sleep but I'm starting to play in leagues again here and there.

If it was just running though I wouldn't be able to do it lol. I hate running but love basketball... so its worth waking up for.

I'm the complete opposite. Try every morning to either lift or play basketball. Busy season ends up killing that program but I am very much an early riser. Grew up on my grandpa's farm with a lot of early mornings and literally can't sleep in anymore... its a blessing and a curse.

I tried to do some evening stuff every now and again but end up too gassed most of the time. Night basketball also kills my sleep but I'm starting to play in leagues again here and there.

If it was just running though I wouldn't be able to do it lol. I hate running but love basketball... so its worth waking up for.
Yeah, I've been getting up at 5 am to workout since I was a HSer. I lose all motivation to be active after 5pm so I have to get everything done early.

Yeah, I've been getting up at 5 am to workout since I was a HSer. I lose all motivation to be active after 5pm so I have to get everything done early.
I also enjoy it so its nice to start your day with something you enjoy. If I workout I eat better as well. When I get out of routine my diet ends up going to ****.

I'm going to dabble in it and see how it goes once I'm in a routine. My wife's more of a morning person (more than me). I'm a night person. However, I've found that it doesn't matter how early I go to bed (or how late), I still feel the exact same in the morning and it does not cause me to wake up early, so I feel it's more wasted time to go to bed earlier. That said, I'm not staying up super late. Usually 11:30 or midnight. The issue with working out in the morning is that I really need a "clear the deck" time to prep myself for the day. Some people can do that with exercise, and who knows maybe it will work that way for me, but historically that I need nothing other than sitting there dreading the day.

As far as running, I hate running (kinda). Or at least I did. It wasn't until after I had gotten back from a mission and started running on a treadmill with the TV going at the gym that I realized I could tolerate it, because the TV would distract from how miserable it was. I don't watch TV when I run now, and really haven't since... I don't know. But because that's been the most efficient way for me to exercise, it's become my go-to. The past two times I've gone out for actual basketball, I've suffered achilles ruptures, and I'm a little more than 8 years out from my last one, so I view myself as essentially retired from playing basketball the way I'd like to. I've played, but it's really just 1 on 1 with my son, for the most part. I can't mentally go through another rupture as I've got way too much to do to get side tracked with that, so running it is. Though basketball is most certainly a better, more enjoyable, more efficient, and more total workout.

I'm going to dabble in it and see how it goes once I'm in a routine. My wife's more of a morning person (more than me). I'm a night person. However, I've found that it doesn't matter how early I go to bed (or how late), I still feel the exact same in the morning and it does not cause me to wake up early, so I feel it's more wasted time to go to bed earlier. That said, I'm not staying up super late. Usually 11:30 or midnight. The issue with working out in the morning is that I really need a "clear the deck" time to prep myself for the day. Some people can do that with exercise, and who knows maybe it will work that way for me, but historically that I need nothing other than sitting there dreading the day.

As far as running, I hate running (kinda). Or at least I did. It wasn't until after I had gotten back from a mission and started running on a treadmill with the TV going at the gym that I realized I could tolerate it, because the TV would distract from how miserable it was. I don't watch TV when I run now, and really haven't since... I don't know. But because that's been the most efficient way for me to exercise, it's become my go-to. The past two times I've gone out for actual basketball, I've suffered achilles ruptures, and I'm a little more than 8 years out from my last one, so I view myself as essentially retired from playing basketball the way I'd like to. I've played, but it's really just 1 on 1 with my son, for the most part. I can't mentally go through another rupture as I've got way too much to do to get side tracked with that, so running it is. Though basketball is most certainly a better, more enjoyable, more efficient, and more total workout.
I don't think there is a wrong or right way. I'd follow your natural body rhythms. It doesn't really matter when I go to bed... I wake up early no matter what, so kinda opposite of what you have.

I haven't had the major injury (knock on wood) or I'd likely be done. That sucks though. I can't play like I used to where it was like 50/50 driving to score over, around, and through people and settling for jumpers... but it has reduced the ankle sprains now that I'm like 80/20 jumpers to drives. I know my limits now.

I enjoy lifting more than steady state cardio but will suffer on the elliptical for 20-30 minutes when I need to. I just get bored and then it gets hard and it makes it easier to quit.

Running is awful until you get good enough at running where you no longer think about running while you run.

It seems that Draymond has something personal with European players.
First Sabonis, then Gobert and now Nurkic.
But he always does it like a b*tch to unsuspecting players. He’s not gonna step up to someone like Jokic, Valenciunas or Steven Adams (I know he’s not European) if he can’t catch them off guard or straight up kick them in the balls.