What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

A huge factor when it comes to gambling in the NBA is that single games matter so little in the regular season. When every game has higher potential of being important, throwing a game is a much higher risk.
Usually that's not how corrupt gamblers make money, not with the outcome of the game itself. With the exponential growth of online gambling in the past years the type of thing you can gamble on is ridiculous.
You can bet which team or player will foul first, or foul out, which team will get the first FT, if a player will get more or less fouls or any stats more than his average. Sum that with a ref making just a couple of thousand a game and therefore easily corruptible and you have recipe for manipulation.
Recently a huge scheme has been found out in major soccer league in Brazil. Players from small teams were getting paid by gamblers to get yellow cards, or concede corner kicks in exchange for 10x their monthly salary. And the only reason they found out was because one of the players failed to get a yellow card after getting the money since he never checked in, gamblers lost their money and were sending death threats to the player and his family so he ended up going to the cops.

It's unfortunate that Exum's body cannot handle an NBA season...but he's still found a way to get so much better over the years. It's great to see him playing well again. If he wasn't injury prone and had more time to develop (less time rehabbing) he would have been a great player.

Exum made a strategic mistake by prioritizing preservation of his draft status over development when he was a kid. Wrong trajectory.

His turnovers are a little high (3.9) and his free throw shooting could be better (78.6)

A little. But he is so ball dominant, if you look at turnovers per touch, I bet it is not bad. A good metric would be TO per team possession while he is on the floor.

Exum made a strategic mistake by prioritizing preservation of his draft status over development when he was a kid. Wrong trajectory.

I don't understand. What would've been the right trajectory? He got a ton of minutes in his rookie season. Surely staying in an inferior league, with inferior training and competition, would not have helped his development.

You can't obviously say how things would have gone differently, and while Exums body does seem to have increased injury risk, a lot of his injuries were pretty freak as well.

Either way, I don't think signing a $16 million dollar contract as a 19 year old was the wrong choice. He could have gotten horribly injured playing in the Australian league at age 20 and had a very different future

I don't see how staying out of the NBA would have helped him stay healthy once he got to the NBA. I also don't think staying out of the NBA would have actually helped his development. NCAA was not a better development program than what the Jazz offered him.

A little. But he is so ball dominant, if you look at turnovers per touch, I bet it is not bad. A good metric would be TO per team possession while he is on the floor.
Ya it's definitely not bad. Maybe a little high but no biggie

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Mavs are up by like 30 with 9 minutes left so Luka will probably be sitting out the rest of the game but so far he has 27 points, 14 assists, and 12 rebounds with 9 minutes left in the game.
Dude is a machine

Simone played 37 minutes tonight. 32 minutes in his previous game.

Either way, I don't think signing a $16 million dollar contract as a 19 year old was the wrong choice. He could have gotten horribly injured playing in the Australian league at age 20 and had a very different future
Not wise for an 18 year old to take a year off basketball (2023-14) to preserve his draft status. His agent knew his brand had peaked and if he crapped out in college ball his stock would fall. Good short term, bad long term strategy.

Not wise for an 18 year old to take a year off basketball (2023-14) to preserve his draft status. His agent knew his brand had peaked and if he crapped out in college ball his stock would fall. Good short term, bad long term strategy.
It worked for a ton of players, including Exum

So looking at the TWolves… Ant is basically a lock for all nba which will push his salary 7M higher each year. Between that and the Conley extension they will be at 200M in salary or thereabouts. Looking at 25M+ over the tax. Looking at a 60M luxury tax… Anderson and Morris walk which aren’t massive losses… but only ways to cut salary in a significant way is moving one of their really good players. Man if they have a disappointing playoff there will be some budget cuts… if healthy they’d still be really good but their depth gonna take a hit. Anyway… with the KAT injury and when he might come back it may mess their first round series up. A foundation is being laid for maybe a step back or two in 2025.

Hayward 9, 4 & 5 in 30 minutes tonight in OKC's loss to Indiana.
I think his personality is a poor mesh with OKC's brash young group.
They may have outsmarted themselves at the trade deadline.