What's new

The *OFFICAIL* Jazzfanz Crypto Mining Thread

@Gameface What's your break down these days by each graphics card. I'm ready to upgrade my computer anyways. I figure mining might influence which graphics card I get. I'm thinking I should just run double 3080s since I think it's cheaper than a 3090. But I guess if the 3090 can make a lot of money and then I'll buy a second later when they get cheaper.
Both my 3080s can do 102MH @ 214W.

My 3090 can do 122MH @ 324W

I'm about to add a 3070 which is supposed to be able to do 61MH @ 160W

The 3060 Ti can do the same hash rate as the 3070 but @ 120W. This is the card most miners would want if they had their choice.

The primary factor in hash rate is VRAM bus size and speed. Actual GPU chip performance is not as important.

For casual mining power consumption isn't much of a big deal. It's also not a big deal as a cost issue because it accounts for such a small percentage compared to earnings. What is an issue is heat and power delivery. The wattage used directly correlates to the amount of heat the device is producing, so it's harder to cool higher wattage cards and the space they are in will get hotter as well. In a larger multi-GPU "farm" there is an issue with how to power the GPUs. Starting with the typical PC power supply, 6 cards can be too much, especially if each one is over 200W. Multiple power supplies can be used and/or server power supplies can be used. But in a farm with several rigs the available power from the wall will start to be a factor. Not to mention the very real possibility of starting a fire if you're exceeding the specifications of wiring (especially if daisy chaining and splitting power plugs).

I would take 2 3080s over a single 3090 for sure. But keep in mind that there is no SLI on 3080s, so 2 will not give you improvements in games. SLI is not a factor for mining as the software will use multiple cards just fine without an SLI connection.

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing to consider. For mining pretty much any 3080 or 3090 will need aftermarket thermal pads or else the memory will bounce off the thermal limit 0f 110C and case massive performance issues. I had to replace the thermal pads in the air cooled 3080 because after the first week it wouldn't do more than 54MH and it was frying the memory.

On the 3090 it's an EVGA FTW3 Ultra and EVGA offers a Hybrid AIO cooler for it. I bought that and it helped but I still had to use aftermarket thermal pads and I even placed little stick-on heatsinks on the backplate and I'm still running in the high 80C range on the memory.

3070 and below will not need aftermarket thermal pads. The 3080 and 3090 use GDDR6X (instead of the GDDR6 that the other ones use) and that stuff is awesome and super fast but it runs HOT AF, especially when mining.

Oh, I didn't realize there is no sli for 3080. That's probably going to change my mind. Thanks for the thermal pads recommendation, I would not have thought of that.

Oh yeah, and the RTX 3080 Ti is coming out on June 2nd. It is believed that it will have the mining limiter, which is sad for me. But even with the limiter it will most likely do 60MH, would be 120MH without the limiter and the MH/W would have been fantastic.

I'm actually going to try to replace my card and my kid's card with a 3080Ti because I'm EVGA elite and will have access to purchase or get in the que 24hrs before the general public. 60MH at MSRP for a 3080Ti is fine with me, but alos it'll hurt less when I actually want to play a game on my gaming PC, and my kid turns off the mining software for hours and hours at a time for gaming.

I'm happy for you, my man. I wish I had the drive for this. No, that's not a pun either.
This was really a right place right time thing for me. I had the RTX 3080, 2070 and 1070 before I even considered mining. I've been into PC gaming since I was like 12. All I had to do was install some software and watch the numbers go up and I was kind of hooked. I ran into some non-random luck by getting a 3090 5 months after I signed up for a wait list (well before I was mining) and then hit on the Newegg Shuffle, which I alter my sleep schedule to be able to sign up for, and got my second 3080.

It has been easy to put effort into this after getting real returns on it. If I was on the outside looking in I probably wouldn't even know where to start.

So Elon Musk decided top throw some cold water all over the crypto market which was in full boom mode yesterday. Major reduction in mining profitability from 24hrs ago. It went from holy ****ing amazeballs to just really good today.

Holy ****!

I opened my package that was a 14TB Enterprise grade HDD that I paid $488 for before taxes and there were 4 HDDs in the box! Wow!

Holy ****!

I opened my package that was a 14TB Enterprise grade HDD that I paid $488 for before taxes and there were 4 HDDs in the box! Wow!
Wah wah, I'm dumb. These are SAS drives. They are super awesome if you have a way to use SAS drives. Selling them on KSL right now. Should still be a really good thing for me.

I was looking at pre built computers for sell here. I can get a rig for $4500 that comes with a nice case with lots of fans, water cooled, rtx 3090, Intel I9 10900k, 1t nvme m.2, Corsair 32 gb of ram, and other stuff but that's the core. I might pick one up soon.

I have a rig coming through Cyberpower with a 3080. Can you game and mine at the same time? Or is it more one or the other?

Related: I bought the Bitcoin and ETH on the dip this morning.

I have a rig coming through Cyberpower with a 3080. Can you game and mine at the same time? Or is it more one or the other?

Related: I bought the Bitcoin and ETH on the dip this morning.
You can, depending on GPU utilization by the game your mining will either decrease a lot or pretty much all the way and the gaming experience might suffer too.

It's important when mining to tune the GPU specifically for that and then switch to either stock settings or a game friendly tune for gaming. If you don't tune for mining you'll get a much lower hash rate and use A LOT more power than you need to.

Now is an excellent time to be mining even with the dip in price. Trading volume for ETH is usually around $40-$50B and right now it is at $80B. That pushed trading fees through the roof and miners get a good chunk of those fees.

I started mining when ETH was worth $1500 and it was well worth it then. Things are still really really good for mining right now.

Hopefully the Feds don’t get get involved with crypto too much. I’m thinking they don’t. This China **** doesn’t worry me. It’s the third time they’ve pulled this nonsense. 2013, 2017, 2021.

So... what can you actually buy with Etherium, besides stuff on the dark web?

EDIT: Google is my frieeeeend.
I’m sure someone can find exceptions, but Etherium isn’t really used on the dark web. The vast majority of dark web transactions are either Bitcoin or Monero. The single biggest dark net market currently is Monero only.
monero.jpg

I’m sure someone can find exceptions, but Etherium isn’t really used on the dark web. The vast majority of dark web transactions are either Bitcoin or Monero. The single biggest dark net market currently is Monero only.
monero.jpg
That should be a Jazz city jersey in 2022

Got my LLC registered, got my EIN, setup a business email account and just got back from setting up my Business bank accounts. Also just sent my first deposit to the account.

<-- Excited