What's new

The official chitownjazz offseason thread

From the prophet who pandered for Gordon Hayward two games into his sophomore season at Butler...

Current Jazz outlook:

Through all the stuff that transpired throughout the season, Paul Millsap reaffirmed my beliefs that he is the Man. The fact that he played through injuries all the way until the last game of the season that would hold most players out speaks volumes about his character and the type of leader he can be for us. I fully anticipate him taking time to get healthy this offseason, then cranking it back up and further expanding his game.

Through 82 games, I give the Al Jefferson acquisition a B+. He was thrown into a tough spot from the get go and who the heck knows what went on behind closed doors at practice with D-Will/Sloan. He's young and has a great offensive arsenal. I was impressed by his shot blocking ability. As Harp pointed out, passing out of double teams is probably his biggest area of concern. I anticipate that being improved next season with natural experience. Hopefully he gets a lot of runs in the offseason in with the guys, especially Devin Harris.

I'm still on the fence about Harris, but leaning towards liking him as our starting point guard. To be a playoff team, the starting point guard must be able to consistently get into the lane and create for others and himself. Harris has been doing that since he's gotten in the league. His 3-point shooting (were these last couple weeks a fluke?) is a bonus.

As much crap as C.J. gets around here, I still am a huge supporter of him starting at the 3 and Hayward starting at the 2. C.J. has all the tools to be successful, it's just about consistency. I will say if he starts and gets starters minutes all of next season and is inconsistent through the first half of the season, then I might be in the camp of he'll never get it. I don't need to say a thing about Hayward other than he's a franchise type player that I hope is a Jazz starter for 10 more years.

Favors was the best surprise all season, with Evans being a close second. Favors has a chance to be great at some point, and I think it's awesome we have the versatility to rotate him with Al and Sap (I'm not a fan of playing the 3 of them together, but could be convinced otherwise). If we can keep Fes around for cheap, I think that would be great.

As for AK, Okur, Ronnie, Elston and most importantly Raja - Thanks for playing. I'll help you pack your bags.

I like Earl as a 3rd PG.

As for Corbin, I think we'd be much better off with a coach with experience. Obviously that won't happen, so I will give the Jazz 20 games into next season for him to show he's capable and not a basket case with illogical rotations.

Free Agency:

Haven't looked at potential free agents - will edit this part over the course of the summer.

Draft:

This part will also be edited once draft entrants are finalized, and more importantly our picks or pick if we trade up, but off the bat a couple players stand out to me that I'd love on the Jazz. Overall a relatively weak draft. (note: im excluding harrison barnes because I'm assuming he goes back to UNC. Also excluding Jonas and the other foreigners on the draft sites as I have not seen them; will look into all of them during boring days at work over the next couple months and possibly add.)

-Kemba Walker; Dynamic scorer and able distributor who can be just what we need to back up Devin and potentially start a year or two down the line. If Earl is still around, he could learn a lot from him too.

-Donatas Motiejunas; 7-foot lefty with tons of skill. Would bring a completely new element to the roster. Really, really high on him.

-Terrance Jones; A little smaller version of Lamar Odom, but he can play inside and outside. He's got some maturity issues to deal with, and if our staff interviews him and college coaches with credence on the matter and find out he's too big of a headache - I wouldn't be upset if we passed. As casual fans, we'll just never know other than what we see on the court.

-Finally, if we draft Jimmer in the lottery I don't think I will be a Jazz fan anymore, or at least not a serious one.

UPDATE 5/18

I want Kemba at the 3 and Marshon Brooks at the 12. I'd even take Brooks at the 3. The thing about Brooks is that he's a lot more athletic than Almond, so anyone who is skeptical needs to see the light!

Brooks!

Last edited:
Just curious. Did you feel like not being a Jazz fan after we picked Hayward last year?

Did you not read the first sentence? I was praying we'd draft him before he even entered the draft. In fact, after we picked Hayward last year I was as happy as I remember being when Stockton drained that trey against the Rockets in 97.

I hated the hayward pick.... and i was very wrong. I dont really want jimmer but if we draft him then at least I know we drafted potentially THE best shooter in the league. His range is quite amazing. I dont think that he will be a great player and i hope for someone else, but hey i was wrong about hayward and maybe i will be wrong about jimmer. i can at least see him as a guy who could come off the bench and get hot and carry the team with his shooting for a few minutes and whoever is guarding him cant leave him open so jimmer would stretch the floor. I am worried about his defense, quickness and size just like everyone else though. his shooting is elite though

What a self serving thread. I am just waiting with anticipation for your updates throughout the offseason. How exciting.

Did you not read the first sentence? I was praying we'd draft him before he even entered the draft. In fact, after we picked Hayward last year I was as happy as I remember being when Stockton drained that trey against the Rockets in 97.

Just curious. How do you feel about Millsap?

What a self serving thread. I am just waiting with anticipation for your updates throughout the offseason. How exciting.

lol. I was going to reply before I saw you said it perfectly, so I'm just quoting your post to give it emphasis.

What a self serving thread.

As if the F-ing thread title wasn't abundantly clear that's exactly what this thread is.

It's unfortunate you were tricked into thinking otherwise before clicking on it. I can see how you may have been misled into thinking anything in this thread would have something other than MY opinion. I apologize for not being as selfless as an anonymous message board poster as the one named after a female reproductive organ and having the sheer audacity to voice my opinion to those interested in it. I have this problem of always being right and I'm sure many of our fellow posters have picked up on that disturbing trend, thus I flow like Christ when I speak the gospel.

I agree about Millsap. He is a stud and he will continue to improve. I suspect he will work on his defensive footwork and 3 point shooting.

I disagree about Jefferson. The most important thing he can do is get stronger and in better shape so he can box out on the defensive boards.

CJ Miles still has a lot of talent. And I suppose at less than 4 mil next year we should give him another chance.

How do you propose we get Raja to give us his 6 mil guaranteed?

Seconded. We're dying to know about who else you're pandering for. Also, do you have any Elston news?

Can we get an upate here?

Sarcastically ask, and ye shall receive.

Boozer has been exposed this playoffs, and my outlandish pleas for his season ending injury his last one and a half seasons in Utah have now been justified! Our future is bright with him on another team, at the very least. No updates on the buyouts of Raja or Cisco yet. But I am thinking of starting a blog under the alias R_Bell_FIU_grad_4_life and talking about how 9/11 is just a creation of the media and that no one should care about tornado victims in Alabama. Although, who knows what Greg Miller is into. On second thought, maybe that blog will just attack the Mormons as to force Greggy boy's manicured hand.

Terrance Jones has officially decided to go back to UK. Good move even though I would have liked to have drafted him. He will be a top 5 pick assuming he continues to work hard. I still would like to take Kemba and/or Donatas for sure. If we get neither, we may as well just quit.

I have nothing to offer besides this at this point, but I do strongly recommend reading my piece in the Jazz Poetry thread.

I've also recently chimed in on Rashard Mendenhall on the General Discussion board, should you be left wanting more of my profound insight after reading my poem.

For more stream of consciousness narrative tune in after the NBA draft lottery, or the next time I get insufferably bored at work and decide to log back onto my beloved community of die hards, hard ons, nitwits and degenerates.