What's new

The Official Please Retire Jerry Sloan Thread

Agreed.
Just like all of the owners in the NBA, replace the coach and the struggles go away??
Prime example Dallas?
Many new coaches since getting Dirk Nowitski, and they still can't get over the hump.

But the Jazz have had the same coach for 23 years. WHy are you scared to try something new? Why are you unwilling to support a risk that "might" pay off? I realize the unknown is scary.

Doesn't that fall under the category of the general manager. As I recall the Jazz were winning earlier in the year they weren't pretty wins but wins. One might say Sloan was getting the most out of inferior talent. Fast forward to today can you honestly say that the players are giving 100% I think not. Pblayers deserve some of the blame.

Like I said, are you going to fire the players? Sloan's been on his way out for a while now.

50-win seasons and maybe a couple playoff wins are fun, sure, but not when you get it every single damn year. The only thing that's been consistent with that is Sloan. I want a coach that is up to date and knows how to change his system to benefit new faces, instead of jamming different guys into the same role and hoping for the best.

It's idiotic to say it's entirely Sloans fault. It's amazing how some fans think they know everything, and think they could do a better job! A coach can teach offense and preach defense and motivate all they want, but the players have to choose to listen to the coach choose to be invested in the team concept, choose to be motivated and so forth.

You will be hard pressed to find as many coaches who've been as successful as Sloan sure he hasn't won it all but, one could argue that he went up against the greatest player of all time, and fell short. How many teams have beaten him. Jordan even went on to say the jazz gave his Bulls their toughest challenge. Has Sloan won it all? No, has he won coach of the year? No, what makes a great coach is someone who stands the test of time! Many coaches who've won a championship or who've won coach of the year have flamed out a year or two later. It is my opinion that the Jazz would not be hear if not for Sloan. He deserves to be here till he deems it a career.

I dont think Ive ever said its completely Sloan fault. To be sure the players are to share some of the responsibility but since we've change myriad players since Ive been watching (1992) why not change the coach? Why can you, for one second, entertain the thought that Sloans time has passed and that the game has changed and that Sloan is from a bygone era? WHy is that so hard to fathom or understand?

Why does anyone get to decide when they want to quit? Its that egotistical thinking that ruins organizations...the one person is above the franchise.

We have been told countless times that Sloan is able to get the most out of the players he hand-picks for his system. I would argue that Sloan is not getting the most out of this group of players. Some will say that it is not Sloan's fault that the players are not doing their jobs. But I would argue that it is absolutely his fault. It is his job to mesh the players and talent. Some will argue that this team is full of new players that are still getting to know the system. I would argue that we are not making progress and in fact it seems we are regressing.

First off, I fixed it for you.

Secondly, maybe he is. Minny was not too hard to convince to move AJ. Could be they knew something we didn't and that he would hamper Love's development. Maybe they knew the two could not play together and now we are doing the same thing with Sap.

Also, which of our players outside of Deron is really capable of much more? Anyone really think CJ, Hayward, AK, Memo, Fes, et al would be all-stars and MVP candidates elsewhere? I posit that he IS getting the most out of some of these players. We know from seasons past that playing within Sloan's system can cover up a lot of a player's flaws (Shandon Anderson, B Russ, Jacque Vaughn all spring to mind as being better with sloan than without). I think Sloan gets a lot out of sub-standard players in general.

But there is the rub. We pick players that fit within that system. So we get sub-standard players who "work hard" or fit in some way that maybe only Sloan can see, then we get them to do better than they would elsewhere. This is a big reason why every team is so similar, and the results are too.

I do not question Sloan's system per se, but rather his choice of who to plug into that system and how he adjusts (or fails to) when the system or the players just are not performing.

And I think he is slipping in both of those areas and the NBA is passing him by. i agree with you that we have not been making progress and it is time for Sloan to hang up the hat.

In times like these we need to turn to our leader for guidance...

"it felt good to watch them play a little harder,” Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said, “And when you play hard, you always have a chance to win.”

In times like these we need to turn to our leader for guidance...

"it felt good to watch them play a little harder,” Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said, “And when you play hard, you always have a chance to win.”

If you just went with what Bellichick said in his post game interviews you'd think he was a moron too.

If you just went with what Bellichick said in his post game interviews you'd think he was a moron too.

He is. What has his team won in the past 5-6 seasons? That's right: nothing. Not even with a QB setting records or his team going undefeated during the season. He couldn't get them over the hump. ****, he couldn't even win the first playoff game the past two years. He needs to retire!

We all know that we aren't going anywhere with this fool, so can somebody (like Greg Miller, his young wife, or even Deron Williams) please coax him into retirement?

Anyways, I'm secretly hoping that we lose out from here so that Sloan will finally see that it is time to move on from the Jazz. I can't wait for the day when he will ride off on his John Deere to his farm where nobody will have to question his substitution patterns, among other things.

So then without him we can sink to the depths of the dregs of the league, but at least our constant missing of the playoffs will get us higher picks. Yay, sounds great.

I dont think Ive ever said its completely Sloan fault. To be sure the players are to share some of the responsibility but since we've change myriad players since Ive been watching (1992) why not change the coach? Why can you, for one second, entertain the thought that Sloans time has passed and that the game has changed and that Sloan is from a bygone era? WHy is that so hard to fathom or understand?

Why does anyone get to decide when they want to quit? Its that egotistical thinking that ruins organizations...the one person is above the franchise.

I'm not sure the game has passed Sloan by. Given his success compared to most other coaches in the league, I'd say it has not. He's not won a championship lately not due to bad coaching but due to inferior talent, IMHO.

That said, my beef with Sloan always has been that he appears unaccountable. Can't win on the road last few years? Doesn't Sloan share at least some of the blame for failure to prepare and motivate? Lose winnable games down the stretch last two years that would have improved our playoff seeding? Doesn't Sloan share at least some of the blame for choking down the stretch? (Ok, last year it was a lot on Boozer for skipping the final game with Phoenix that he cold have played in, albeit with some pain.) Can't muster any kind of serious challenge against Lakers last few years in playoffs? Doesn't Sloan share at least some of the blame for team's failure to show up?

The patter seems to be that when the Jazz fail, the organization looks at everyone and everywhere for a solution, but never at Sloan. Is HE to blame? Well, if we think coaches and coaching matters, how can he not be at least part of it? Is it possible that he's a major part of it? I don't know, but I'd like to think that the Jazz organization is at least willing to consider the possibility, but it does not appear to be so.

Heck, other iconic coaches have been shown the door: Tom Landry (who won titles), Bud Grant (another underachiever who couldn't get over the hump), Bobby Bowden (who won titles), etc. Why is Sloan untouchable and unaccountable? I don't think that's a healthy position for the franchise to be in. Again, I'm not advocating that the Jazz dump him, but I AM advocating that it be willing to consider it, and that it look at Sloan as objectively as it presumably does at the players.

I'm not sure the game has passed Sloan by. Given his success compared to most other coaches in the league, I'd say it has not. He's not won a championship lately not due to bad coaching but due to inferior talent, IMHO.

That said, my beef with Sloan always has been that he appears unaccountable. Can't win on the road last few years? Doesn't Sloan share at least some of the blame for failure to prepare and motivate? Lose winnable games down the stretch last two years that would have improved our playoff seeding? Doesn't Sloan share at least some of the blame for choking down the stretch? (Ok, last year it was a lot on Boozer for skipping the final game with Phoenix that he cold have played in, albeit with some pain.) Can't muster any kind of serious challenge against Lakers last few years in playoffs? Doesn't Sloan share at least some of the blame for team's failure to show up?

The patter seems to be that when the Jazz fail, the organization looks at everyone and everywhere for a solution, but never at Sloan. Is HE to blame? Well, if we think coaches and coaching matters, how can he not be at least part of it? Is it possible that he's a major part of it? I don't know, but I'd like to think that the Jazz organization is at least willing to consider the possibility, but it does not appear to be so.

Heck, other iconic coaches have been shown the door: Tom Landry (who won titles), Bud Grant (another underachiever who couldn't get over the hump), Bobby Bowden (who won titles), etc. Why is Sloan untouchable and unaccountable? I don't think that's a healthy position for the franchise to be in. Again, I'm not advocating that the Jazz dump him, but I AM advocating that it be willing to consider it, and that it look at Sloan as objectively as it presumably does at the players.

Why? Complacency, comfort, satisfaction with butts in seats, fear of Sloan, worship of Sloan, fear of change.

PS: You stated he has not won a championship lately. Lately? How about never.

I have been saying this for years now, under my old name. Angrynemesis.

Makes me wonder, can you be a happy nemesis? Or an even-keeled nemesis? How about a serene nemesis?

He is. What has his team won in the past 5-6 seasons? That's right: nothing. Not even with a QB setting records or his team going undefeated during the season. He couldn't get them over the hump. ****, he couldn't even win the first playoff game the past two years. He needs to retire!

Ironically, Belichick gets it done with adapting strategy and pulling out all the stops in his game plan. He's a huge student of the game and changes his strategy as the times and personnel change.

This is, of course, in stark contrast to Sloan who will run the same damn thing until hell freezes over and settle for "pretty good" instead of "notably the best in the business".

A better NBA comparison to 'chick in the NBA is Pop.

It's idiotic to say it's entirely Sloans fault. It's amazing how some fans think they know everything, and think they could do a better job! A coach can teach offense and preach defense and motivate all they want, but the players have to choose to listen to the coach choose to be invested in the team concept, choose to be motivated and so forth.

You will be hard pressed to find as many coaches who've been as successful as Sloan sure he hasn't won it all but, one could argue that he went up against the greatest player of all time, and fell short. How many teams have beaten him. Jordan even went on to say the jazz gave his Bulls their toughest challenge. Has Sloan won it all? No, has he won coach of the year? No, what makes a great coach is someone who stands the test of time! Many coaches who've won a championship or who've won coach of the year have flamed out a year or two later. It is my opinion that the Jazz would not be hear if not for Sloan. He deserves to be here till he deems it a career.

who said it was entirely Sloan's fault? Yes, we have all heard the MJ greatest player of all time blah blah blah. The team is clearly not playing hard. Who else besides the coach should be held accountable? If the team loses to inferior teams who should be held accountable? Why should Jerry be able to "deem it a career"? This isn't working for Penn ST it didn't work for Florida ST.

Jazz's Sloan said that if the "light ever comes on" for (me to play) Fesenko, he could take a huge step forward in the league.

Sloan also added..."that Fes would be in a better position if he was playing for a team that didn't have to win."

Translation: Not playing for a team that takes zero chances, happy with just making the playoffs, and padding my all time wins.

Damn, I was hoping this thread would cause us to go on a 20 game winning streak because we all know Sloan reads Jazzfanz and adopts its teachings into his coaching.

Tonight was the first time I found myself yelling at Sloan through the TV. Ronnie ****ing Price. Are you kidding me. He played so many minutes. And CJ and Hayward were having a lot better games. Pissed me off.