What's new

The Official We Must Draft Cody Williams Thread!

Tom Pitt

In the NBA, I'm a big believer in pedigree. It's no secret, Cody Williams, who just wrapped up his Freshman season at Colorado, is the brother of draft steal Santa Clara Jaylen Williams. Jaylen was underrated coming out of college. Cody is to if you ask me. He's long, he can handle the ball, deceptive athleticism. I freaking love this kid.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mwoy16hEWg

Currently #9 on KOC's big board. https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

I'm saying it now this kid's floor as an NBA player is a 7th man on a good team. Even that's value. But his more likely outcome is solid starter on a title team. and his ceiling probably a player of his brother's caliber with slithy different strengths. Eventually we'll get a star and Guys like Cody Williams, Taylor Hendricks, Kessler, Keynote, Brice could be good pieces around that star.

If you're a believer in pedigree wouldn't you not want Williams? There's never been two all star brothers iirc.

cody is a no from me. he just deems slow, uninterested and streaky to me. dont like his style of play at all.

I'm a big believer in Cody Williams, but I want to see how hard he's worked on his body for pre-draft workouts. Injuries slowed him down in the 2nd half of his season. I'm expecting him to rise up draft boards during the pre-draft process when he shows he's shaken the injuries off. He also just looks like a guy that's still getting used to his body in general.

I don't really care who his brother is. They're not actually very comparable as prospects. Their games are quite different. Cody is taller and longer. He's also years younger entering the draft. Jalen is explosive. Cody is more crafty.

Last edited:
I'm a big believer in Cody Williams, but I want to see how hard he's worked on his body for pre-draft workouts. Injuries slowed him down in the 2nd half of his season. I'm expecting him to rise up draft boards during the pre-draft process when he shows he's shaken the injuries off. He also just looks like a guy that's still getting used to his body in general.

I don't really care who his brother is. They're not actually very comparable as prospects. Their games are quite different. Cody is taller and longer. He's also years younger entering the draft. Jalen is explosive. Cody is more crafty.

I do see the same scoring flashes as yourself.....the peripheral numbers are just so bad. It makes it hard for me to buy into him. Those numbers are obviously a bad sign for doing those things in the NBA, but they are also carryover indictors that speak to his athleticism/IQ and overall ability to translate.

I do see the same scoring flashes as yourself.....the peripheral numbers are just so bad. It makes it hard for me to buy into him. Those numbers are obviously a bad sign for doing those things in the NBA, but they are also carryover indictors that speak to his athleticism/IQ and overall ability to translate.

Peripheral numbers, such as?

Rebs/Ast/Stl/Blk all trash

Blocks are okay. Rebs are low. Steals are low, given his tools. Yeah, it's enough to make you wonder about his physicality and effort on defense.

I wouldn't worry about his assists. They're meh, but he was pretty consistent as a playmaker.

Blocks are okay. Rebs are low. Steals are low, given his tools. Yeah, it's enough to make you wonder about his physicality and effort on defense.

I wouldn't worry about his assists. They're meh, but he was consistent as a playmaker.
What does this mean exactly? He was 6th on his team in assist per game.

I wouldnt say I'm worried about his assist. I'm sure he's probably at least league average as a wing passer. I just dont fully buy that he's a NBA level playmaker.

Cody Williams gives me some strong Jarret Culver vibes.

Dont think I was ever a big Culver guy, but I'm still shocked by just how badly it went for him.

Gasol brothers? That's all i can think of tho
I always forget about them as brothers for some reason. It's probably a complete non-factor. Two brothers can both be all-stars in the way any two people can be all-stars. Just something that is always interesting to me.

Like Michael Porter is this all-star level talent and his brother got kicked out of the NBA for gambling what amounts to petty cash to what his brother is worth.

I need to watch more of him. I caught him only in the tournament and he looked ... clueless to be honest, like he didn't know what he was doing, didn't know where to position himself on the floor or what to do with the ball when he got it. Looked like the opposite of Castle. I have read people describe him as a playmaker and I didn't even see a hint of it so I would assume I just caught a really weird bad game of his...

I need to watch more of him. I caught him only in the tournament and he looked ... clueless to be honest, like he didn't know what he was doing, didn't know where to position himself on the floor or what to do with the ball when he got it. Looked like the opposite of Castle. I have read people describe him as a playmaker and I didn't even see a hint of it so I would assume I just caught a really weird bad game of his...
He's a really good driver and he's long as hell. Those are his selling points. Doesnt have an in-between game at all and is a hesitant shooter on open shots.

If you're a believer in pedigree wouldn't you not want Williams? There's never been two all star brothers iirc.
Pau and Marc Gasol are both going to be in the Hall of Fame. Also, both Tom and Dick Van Arnsdale (who were actually twins) were 3 time All-stars.