Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

Harambe

Contributor
Utah?
New Jersey?
Very Close, leaning Utah?
Very Close, leaning Jersey?

Lets have it out right now. What do Jazzfanz think? Who won this trade?

I think we came out under for the season, over for the future talent wise, and WAY over in popularity with owners across the league.

Less talent overall this season. Deron was the same # pick as Favors, and Harris could still be very serviceable for the duration of his contract, and maybe more.

I also think GM's and owners across the league will appreciate the statement that we made here, by not allowing "star games" to be played on us.

In the long run, Utah. In the long run, New Jersey. It just depends on who goes to Utah in the offseasons to come and likewise with New Jersey.

Right now, we only know that we traded Deron Williams - our franchise player and revered league-wide as an elite player - for Devin Harris (who isn't exactly a beacon of good-attitude and having even less leadership than Deron, besides that he's nowhere near as good), and a guy that looks a lot more like Chris Wilcox than he does Dwight Stoudemire. If the picks turn out well or the Jazz parlay these assets masterfully, the equation changes. But we only know and can only know what we have now, and the Nets ****ed the Jazz and didn't even spit on it.

To think otherwise is plainly foolish.

Neither. It was a lose/lose.

Utah didn't get enough value for him, and NJ gave up too much considering chances are he'll leave for F.A.

Utah just based on the fact of the unknown positive potential of the draft picks and Favors. If NJ lands a David West or Dwight Howard then it is NJ or if Favors flops along with the two draft picks it is also New Jersery. If Deron Leaves in 2012 and the picks and favors flops it is a lose lose.

It's always ironic when someone calls someone else a moron, but spells it incorrectly. I agree with sahlensguy that it was a lose/lose, but only if Deron doesn't resign with NJ. They have a lot of money to throw at him, though, so in my mind Utah is clearly the loser here.

NJ won. Can't wait to see Devin Harris dribble the clock down to a few seconds then shoot it. How soon before we have some threads to trade Harris?

Impossible to determine right now, but I'm leaning NJ. If they go out and get Dwight Howard, they win.

I can't believe for one second that someone actually believes New Jersey got the good end of this deal. Deron was leaving, Deron was unhappy, Deron was playing injured, Deron was playing badly, Deron was eating up 16 Mil, Deron isn't easy to coach, Deron's negativity was an infection in the locker room. Yes, Favors is a project, but one with a low risk-high reward gamble. I do this trade without the two picks, with them and 3mil in cash, I celebrate. Point guards do not win championships...EVER. WHen was the last time a team whose point guard was their best player won a championship? (Magic was and Isiah was arguably, but those teams basically had an ALLStar starting lineup and at least one really good player off the bench) Devin Harris is an excellent point guard, and Earl Watson is better than serviceable. Utah will be fine.

I think the chances of D.Will staying with the Nets is 50-50 at best, giving NJ a lot of risk. The Jazz traded one lotto pick for three, plus Devin Harris. It's a good move.

And on top of that, while the Jazz are saying that they did this trade to manage risk and whatnot for the sake of damage control and out of respect to D.Will, I actually think the Jazz FO decided to trade D.Will opportunistically when his value is as high as it's ever going to get, and when NJ was desperate enough to give them a significant package.

Having an elite point guard is great, but having an elite big or elite scorer translates to more wins. D.Will wasn't generating wins, despite his stellar numbers. I know we need more shooting and rebounding, but D.Will can't carry a team. He's a system guy. Lets see how great he looks in NJ's 'system'. Plus his defensive efficiency isn't that great.

I don't think D.Will can carry a franchise. He needs two elite players and wing shooters in order for him to be in a contending situation, same as any top-tier PG. I think you still need to build a franchise around a go-to scorer and dominant big man.

Having an elite point guard is great, but having an elite big or elite scorer translates to more wins. D.Will wasn't generating wins, despite his stellar numbers. I know we need more shooting and rebounding, but D.Will can't carry a team. He's a system guy. Lets see how great he looks in NJ's 'system'. Plus his defensive efficiency isn't that great.

I don't think D.Will can carry a franchise. He needs two elite players and wing shooters in order for him to be in a contending situation, same as any top-tier PG. I think you still need to build a franchise around a go-to scorer and dominant big man.

It's been mentioned many times in the past, but most teams that win championships don't do so with their best player being a point guard.

If the Jazz can go out and get a wing that can score at will, and Favors develops into elite PF, then MAYBE Utah wins this trade.

Jazz win big.

Harris will be good - albeit not as good as D-Will on offense.

Quite frankly, I think he'll be better on defense.

Favors, if not a dominant scorer, will be at least a defensive presence and a solid low-end double/double guy (12/10, 14/11)

My guess is they take one if not both picks and try to package it for a proven perimeter shooter. Otherwise, half the team will have 3 years experience or less by 2012-13

I can't believe for one second that someone actually believes New Jersey got the good end of this deal. Deron was leaving, Deron was unhappy, Deron was playing injured, Deron was playing badly, Deron was eating up 16 Mil, Deron isn't easy to coach, Deron's negativity was an infection in the locker room. Yes, Favors is a project, but one with a low risk-high reward gamble. I do this trade without the two picks, with them and 3mil in cash, I celebrate. Point guards do not win championships...EVER. WHen was the last time a team whose point guard was their best player won a championship? (Magic was and Isiah was arguably, but those teams basically had an ALLStar starting lineup and at least one really good player off the bench) Devin Harris is an excellent point guard, and Earl Watson is better than serviceable. Utah will be fine.

Well said. Whatever happens with Favors and the picks, Utah did no worse than a draw (assuming Deron was going to leave in 2012 anyway). I trust Miller and KOC, who both had numerous meetings with Deron and his reps, when they said they just didn't get the impression Deron would stay. And that has been echoed by others. Sure it's just an impression, and maybe there's a franchise tag. But when a guy is unhappy, a franchise tag doesn't matter; he'll whine or play badly until he gets traded.

Harris isn't garbage. He was an excellent young PG in Dallas and had a great first year in NJ, when he had some talent around him. Jersey has been dreadful the last 2 seasons. This year he had Lopez...and then it's huge drop off in talent down to Morrow and Krissy Humphries.

Jersey ONLY comes out ahead if Deron re-signs and they get another superstar. Williams was pretty unhappy when the JAzz started losing. Do you think he's going to be patient while Jersey builds? Gadzuric and Wright aren't exactly game changers. So it will be Williams to Lopez and not much else this season.

Utah also wins if this trade keeps us out of the playoffs this season and Favors and Hayward get a lot of PT. Then we'll have a pretty good second unit in place (anchored by Watson, Hayward and Favors or Millsap) and hopefully get at least one starter in the draft (NJ's pick), sign a veteran with the money we save from AK's expiring and perhaps trade our lower lottery pick for another veteran starter.

We just lost our franchise player for a chance to roll the dice. If that's winning you all should spend more time in vegas. Sadly it was our best move. The nets won for now. We win later if the dice hit. If dwill bolts they lose too.

To me, all our options were a lose.

We just lost our franchise player for a chance to roll the dice. If that's winning you all should spend more time in vegas. Sadly it was our best move. The nets won for now. We win later if the dice hit. If dwill bolts they lose too.

To me, all our options were a lose.

Best tie-in-the-username post of the year.