What's new

The R.I.P. Thread

Best poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti, age 101. In 1969, he published the long anti-Nixon piece “Tyrannus Nix”. My favorite, as my generation was none too fond of Tricky Dick, and it was also released as an album, which I enjoyed playing frequently....

View attachment 10386
He was 101 years old, and just published a book last year.

Not my favorite of the beats (That would be Jack Micheline, altho Gregory Corso and Bob Kaufman are way up there, too) but he was definitely a shining light for us all to follow.

Reactions: Red
He was 101 years old, and just published a book last year.

Not my favorite of the beats (That would be Jack Micheline, altho Gregory Corso and Bob Kaufman are way up there, too) but he was definitely a shining light for us all to follow.
For myself, it was Ginsberg and “Howl” that proved most formative to how I saw America. I saw Moloch then, and still see Moloch everywhere today.

For myself, it was Ginsberg and “Howl” that proved most formative to how I saw America. I saw Moloch then, and still see Moloch everywhere today.

Ginsburg taught a course on African American Poetry with a focus on blues lyrics at the college l attended - naturally it was borderline impossible to get in to.

To bring it into the modern era, @HowlTweeter is tweeting all of the poem, one line every hour, from now until... well, probably until Twitter bans it, or something.

If they would just leave the 13-year-old girls alone then I see nothing wrong with polygamy, as long as it is consenting adults.

I've never understood how polygamy could be illegal or be prosecuted. (I'm not talking about people who are engaged in something else underage or otherwise illegal). By law, you can't marry more than one person, so the marriages aren't even marriages to begin with.

But it's also interesting that they take a guy who's providing for multiple families, because he considers himself married to those individuals, and lock him up so they can't support said families, and I suppose the state has to step in in the form of benefits? Anyway. Perfectly cool to have kids with lots of people, just don't say you're married to them.

I've never understood how polygamy could be illegal or be prosecuted. (I'm not talking about people who are engaged in something else underage or otherwise illegal). By law, you can't marry more than one person, so the marriages aren't even marriages to begin with.

But it's also interesting that they take a guy who's providing for multiple families, because he considers himself married to those individuals, and lock him up so they can't support said families, and I suppose the state has to step in in the form of benefits? Anyway. Perfectly cool to have kids with lots of people, just don't say you're married to them.
While I don't know anything about Tom Green specifically, many of these families already get government benefits.

Gotta remember polygamy laws are on the books because of the federal government trying to suppress the mormons as a growing socio-political force. By outlawing polygamy it broke up parts of the church and weakened their overall political power and allowed the government a foot in the door to take other actions as they deemed necessary. Then the laws just stayed there. There was no other reason for it realistically.

Prince Phillip too.

DMX lived a life for sure - a true cautionary tale and rags to riches to rags story.

If any of you are ever lucky enough to win a sum of money or inherit some, pay off your house and any other debts. You don't need a Bentley or a Rolex.

Invest in people, not things.