What's new

The racial makeup of Jazz fans

JimLes

To get our minds off this disaster of a season, here's an interesting infographic from a couple of years ago. It was around that time the Clippers were sold and whatnot.

silver-racial-dist-nba.png

A few things here. Despite popular misconception, we don't have the whitest fanbase! Not only are the Wolves whiter than us, but the Blazers are right up there with us. We do have the fewest percentage of black fans, though. Obviously, this has a lot to do with the racial makeup of the three teams' metropolitan areas. Now, as low as the percentage of black Jazz fans is, 15.6 is still a decent number. I mean, that's like almost 1-in-6. I looked it up, and the black population is 2.7% of SLC. I'm assuming it surely must be lower for the whole Wasatch Front area. This forum has led me to believe that the only people who live in suburbs of SLC are white, Mormon, blonde, have last names like Olsen and Jensen, and give their kids names like Brook and Brittney.

Logically, this would mean there is a decent chunk of Jazz fans living outside of SLC who are black. Who are these people? I'm pretty sure no one on this board is black, with [MENTION=848]dalamon[/MENTION] perhaps being the closest as an honourary brother. When they do that cheesy "Where are you watching" bit on Root Sports, it's never Jamal from Queens or South Carolina, either. And I mean, never mind being black, the Jazz just don't seem like a team likely to attract much support outside the state(or perhaps faith), period. Aren't all of us out-of-staters here weird types? People are always incredulous when I tell them I've been a Jazz fan for decades. Mormon missionaries who've harassed me especially so. Most of the ones I've met aren't even fans and they live in Utah.

Is there a secret message board for black Jazz fans I'm not aware of?

Isn't there one young guy here who's Hispanic and likes black women again? Fresh Prince? I'd tag him but I dunno how to use the feature lol

There are def black dudes on this forum. FP is one as far as I know but there are also more.

To get our minds off this disaster of a season, here's an interesting infographic from a couple of years ago. It was around that time the Clippers were sold and whatnot.

silver-racial-dist-nba.png

A few things here. Despite popular misconception, we don't have the whitest fanbase! Not only are the Wolves whiter than us, but the Blazers are right up there with us. We do have the fewest percentage of black fans, though. Obviously, this has a lot to do with the racial makeup of the three teams' metropolitan areas. Now, as low as the percentage of black Jazz fans is, 15.6 is still a decent number. I mean, that's like almost 1-in-6. I looked it up, and the black population is 2.7% of SLC. I'm assuming it surely must be lower for the whole Wasatch Front area. This forum has led me to believe that the only people who live in suburbs of SLC are white, Mormon, blonde, have last names like Olsen and Jensen, and give their kids names like Brook and Brittney.

Logically, this would mean there is a decent chunk of Jazz fans living outside of SLC who are black. Who are these people? I'm pretty sure no one on this board is black, with [MENTION=848]dalamon[/MENTION] perhaps being the closest as an honourary brother. When they do that cheesy "Where are you watching" bit on Root Sports, it's never Jamal from Queens or South Carolina, either. And I mean, never mind being black, the Jazz just don't seem like a team likely to attract much support outside the state(or perhaps faith), period. Aren't all of us out-of-staters here weird types? People are always incredulous when I tell them I've been a Jazz fan for decades. Mormon missionaries who've harassed me especially so. Most of the ones I've met aren't even fans and they live in Utah.

Is there a secret message board for black Jazz fans I'm not aware of?

Yeah but you now at least 10% of those hispanics are so light skinned you think they are white.

And yes, there are some black posters on this board. I know of 2.

That's weird, I would think that 99% of rockets fans would have been Asian on account of Yao Ming and that there are1 billion people in China. And on account that James Harden and Dwight Howard play the ugliest form of basketball that has ever existed.

Hopefully onebrow could help us understand the implicit racism in our disgust for clutchfans and our desires to watch them suffer. It all makes sense now.

The racial makeup of Jazz fans in my household:
0% White, 0% Hispanic, 0% Black, 0% Asian, 100% Hawaiian

We're doing our part to help balance out the overly white demographic of Jazz fans. :)

15% of Jazz fans are black? Must be holdovers from New Orleans. Srsly a little less than 2% of Utahns are black. Unless they for some silly reason decided to include Pacific Islanders as black I don't see how these numbers could be right. They kinda seem made up.

That's weird, I would think that 99% of rockets fans would have been Asian on account of Yao Ming and that there are1 billion people in China. And on account that James Harden and Dwight Howard play the ugliest form of basketball that has ever existed.

I think you missed the "In the US" disclaimer....

The results are quite interesting but one can surely wonder how the poll was conducted. My guess would be that the poll was done by randomly interviewing people outside the arenas on (many) game nights, since I find it hard to imagine this sort of polling being done online.

If that was the case, if the polling was indeed done the way I presume, it is interesting that 15.6% people attending Jazz games are black while the black population in the SLC area just comprises 2,7% of the total population. Since I live in Brazil, I never attended a Jazz game in SLC. Do you guys think that 1 out of 6 persons in attendance is black? Does this ratio makes sense for you?

If they surveyed on the sample of ticket holders, this analysis is not legit.

Hit the suburbs and meet the real fans of the game that actually play it pretty awesome too.

And don't forget, we are all originally from Africa.

Interesting topic, but the information is not culled from a survey of people outside arenas or ticket holders. It says right on the posted graphic that the sources are Nielsen (television viewers) and Google trends. Furthermore, Nate Silver, author of the article, says upfront that it's just a crude estimate. His methodology, in his own words:

I used Nielsen estimates of the racial composition of the population in each of the United States’ 210 media markets;

I used the frequency of Google searches for each NBA team in each media market as a proxy for its per-capita popularity;

I multiplied each team’s Google search frequency in each media market by the population by race there, then summed the totals to produce an overall estimate of the racial distribution of its fans;

I recalibrated the estimates to ensure that the whole matched the sum of the parts. In other words, I added or subtracted from the fans assigned from each racial group to each team such that the sum total matched my estimate of the overall distribution of NBA fandom throughout the country (e.g. 46 percent white, 31 percent black, and so forth). The estimates were weighted by the overall popularity of NBA teams, according to their number of Google searches.

My mother's side of the family came to Brazil from Portugal and Lebanon.

My father's side of the family are decendants of Native americans(since I'm in Brazil, would they be Native South Americans?), Africans and also Portugal.

I really don't know what I would answer on this poll.