What's new

The Rest of the Season Plan - Kind Of

Hardy said "Brice needs to worry about everything but scoring". So either Hardy thinks he is bad at all the other things or he plays the wrong way.

If its the latter, giving him unearned minutes isnt gonna fix that and sends the wrong message. Hardy is all about playing the right way.
Brice can’t be any worse than THT or Clarkson as far as being obsessed with scoring. And unlike those two, maybe Brice can put the ball in the hoop.

I love how Hardy pretends that defense is important to him. We’ve consistently been one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league this year. We just gave up 84 pts in one half. Playing defense and allocating PT to guys who play defense and/or pass clearly isn’t high on Hardy’s priority list. Cmon

Hardy said "Brice needs to worry about everything but scoring". So either Hardy thinks he is bad at all the other things or he plays the wrong way.

If its the latter, giving him unearned minutes isnt gonna fix that and sends the wrong message. Hardy is all about playing the right way.
Unless you are Clarkson or keyonte (earlier this season. Even last night I saw him taking bad/contested threes with open teammates available to receive a pass. The result was 41 minutes. Of course he was on fire but Bryce could ball hog and chuck and be on fire too possibly)

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Lauri will renotiate+extend....I think the FO will have to move forward with him. Even with Lauri locked into a long term deal, it will be too difficult to pull the same maneuver and surround Lauri with a bunch of rookies and future picks.

Brice can’t be any worse than THT or Clarkson as far as being obsessed with scoring. And unlike those two, maybe Brice can put the ball in the hoop.

I love how Hardy pretends that defense is important to him. We’ve consistently been one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league this year. We just gave up 84 pts in one half. Playing defense and allocating PT to guys who play defense and/or pass clearly isn’t high on Hardy’s priority list. Cmon
Lets not pretend we know what Hardy wants from each guy, and thus whether they are doing the right things. I would have cut Clarksons minutes 3 months ago, and wouldnt mind benching him or THT.

I do agree on the defense being sort of a fake priority.

Lauri will renotiate+extend....I think the FO will have to move forward with him. Even with Lauri locked into a long term deal, it will be too difficult to pull the same maneuver and surround Lauri with a bunch of rookies and future picks.
It makes so much sense for both parties but sometimes I remember other times where I’m like “this makes total sense” and then something dumb happens. It’s weird how the team was so protective about space at the deadline and maybe it was just talk. They really don’t have space to do something amazing if the RE Lauri… but maybe they move JC and have something more significant. I’m 90% sure on a Lauri deal.

Unless you are Clarkson or keyonte (earlier this season. Even last night I saw him taking bad/contested threes with open teammates available to receive a pass. The result was 41 minutes. Of course he was on fire but Bryce could ball hog and chuck and be on fire too possibly)

Dude Keyonte doesnt hog the ball, and his shot selection is great for a rookie who has a green light to shoot from dribble.

He leads the team in touches per game by a wide margin but is only 5th in FGA and 4th in usage. He has only 4 games with 15+ FGA all year, and in 2 of those he took a lot of shots in garbage time (probably Hardy wanted him to).

Clarkson gets a free pass for whatever reason. Ball hogs, turns it over, bad efficiency, subpar defense... cannot do wrong.

Dude Keyonte doesnt hog the ball, and his shot selection is great for a rookie who has a green light to shoot from dribble.

He leads the team in touches per game by a wide margin but is only 5th in FGA and 4th in usage. He has only 4 games with 15+ FGA all year, and in 2 of those he took a lot of shots in garbage time (probably Hardy wanted him to).

Clarkson gets a free pass for whatever reason. Ball hogs, turns it over, bad efficiency, subpar defense... cannot do wrong.
Anywho, like you recently said, we can't know what Hardy wants from each guy.
So the generic statement "Bryce doesn't play the right way" doesn't really mean anything.
What is the right way? Kessler played a completely different way from Collins but they both get minutes.
Same with Dunn and Sexton. Etc etc.

Clarkson's play is not conducive to winning basketball but his personal style works for the brand.
It work nicely for any brand today but for Utah it is gold.

He did not want to go to the Knicks. Someone here said he played poorly leading up to the deadline to dissuade buyers. Possible.
He knows that in NY he'd be no curio at all.

Oh and I like JC. but I wish he knew when to defer, when to pick his spots, yes he gets a free pass.

I think Brice is getting this treatment because he is a rookie and therefore more teachable than JC or THT. Common sense man

So the generic statement "Bryce doesn't play the right way" doesn't really mean anything.
What is the right way? Kessler played a completely different way from Collins but they both get minutes.

Yeah I would do a lot of things differently and dont think Hardy is perfect by any means. But I do trust him and think he is very good.

It makes so much sense for both parties but sometimes I remember other times where I’m like “this makes total sense” and then something dumb happens. It’s weird how the team was so protective about space at the deadline and maybe it was just talk. They really don’t have space to do something amazing if the RE Lauri… but maybe they move JC and have something more significant. I’m 90% sure on a Lauri deal.

My guess is that JC didn't have a great trade market (we probably highly overrate his "amazing" deal)....but if cap space is what they wanted he should have been the one to go. If he was a FA, I don't think he'd be a player looking to sign.

The Simone deal also doesn't jive with cap space plans because they will be hard pressed to find better value for what his cap hold was worth. I think they got good value for him in a vacuum, but you have to wonder, if we're not a team that would want to sign Simone....what kind of team are we? I think most would agree that IF we're keeping Lauri, we should actually move forward and try to win with him. Simone is a really nice player to have if you have ambitions to win with Lauri especially at that opportunity cost/cap hold.

"What are we trying to do" remains the biggest question mark for this franchise.

Maybe Lauri+young guys is what they want....it kinda seems like they want to ride this gravy train of "forcing no outcomes" aka it doesn't matter if we win or lose we're just collecting assets. But how long can they keep doing this?

Clarkson's play is not conducive to winning basketball but his personal style works for the brand.
It work nicely for any brand today but for Utah it is gold.

He did not want to go to the Knicks. Someone here said he played poorly leading up to the deadline to dissuade buyers. Possible.
He knows that in NY he'd be no curio at all.

Oh and I like JC. but I wish he knew when to defer, when to pick his spots, yes he gets a free pass.
I like Clarkson as a person and he can really light the whole team up when he gets hot.

But something about his playstyle bugs me in a way that Sexton and Keyonte dont.

I think one is getting trapped in the middle and not having awareness of where the open guys are. He even sort of traps himself quite often.

Sexton and Key are much more straight line guys who attack the rim and make heads up passes from drives as well. Clarkson passes on the perimeter better than he does from inside.

My guess is that JC didn't have a great trade market (we probably highly overrate his "amazing" deal)....but if cap space is what they wanted he should have been the one to go. If he was a FA, I don't think he'd be a player looking to sign.

Tony Jones reported (and I'm paraphrasing) that there were/are teams interested in JC and he believed they were willing to meet the Jazz's price of a first-round pick but that once the NYK deal was off the table there weren't teams that could match JC's salary while retaining their own rotation players. That changes this summer when the salary cap drops. I firmly believe he'll be dealt this off-season.

The Simone deal also doesn't jive with cap space plans because they will be hard pressed to find better value for what his cap hold was worth. I think they got good value for him in a vacuum, but you have to wonder, if we're not a team that would want to sign Simone....what kind of team are we? I think most would agree that IF we're keeping Lauri, we should actually move forward and try to win with him. Simone is a really nice player to have if you have ambitions to win with Lauri especially at that opportunity cost/cap hold.

"What are we trying to do" remains the biggest question mark for this franchise.

I think Sexton will be gone too, potentially this summer, potentially next trade deadline. My best guess here is that the soonest they aim to make the playoffs is 2026 - unless a top-10 player becomes available. I think the rest of this year is a relative tank job and that next year is as well. Get the youngesters (esp Keyonte and Kessler) a year more of development in "meaningful games", try. to add a star to pair with Lauri and go for a chip.

Maybe Lauri+young guys is what they want....it kinda seems like they want to ride this gravy train of "forcing no outcomes" aka it doesn't matter if we win or lose we're just collecting assets. But how long can they keep doing this?
Yup - exactly. I think this is where they're going. Their specific plan is to pair Lauri with a superstar around his own age, and surround them with talented kids on cheap contracts. That's exactly what he tried to do with Kyrie + Hayward + Tatum + Brown. That blew up, but not for reasons entirely within his control.

I like Clarkson as a person and he can really light the whole team up when he gets hot.

But something about his playstyle bugs me in a way that Sexton and Keyonte dont.

I think one is getting trapped in the middle and not having awareness of where the open guys are. He even sort of traps himself quite often.

Sexton and Key are much more straight line guys who attack the rim and make heads up passes from drives as well. Clarkson passes on the perimeter better than he does from inside.
Yes, and he almost trapped himself vs GS near the end of the game but got it to Lauri in the corner for the assist. I think it was Lauri
Man I was praying he would kick it out and he did.
He could do so much more of that if he wanted to, what with his slipping in and out of the post often at will.

Yeah I would do a lot of things differently and dont think Hardy is perfect by any means. But I do trust him and think he is very good.
Me too. I bitch about him a lot but I do think he is a great coach.

With JC I think it’s a mix of his market not being quite as high as we’d like, waiting for his contract to descend, and also I think he’s working with Key a lot and I think they want to see that through. I think they settle for less but I also wonder if he’s a guy who will actually just stay forever. He survives every purge lol.

The Simone thing doesn’t make sense with his cap hold being low and yeah now we need to use some of our flexibility to go get guys that do what he does.

I just don’t know if the FO has any clearer idea of what they are trying to do than us.

The reality is that Bryce has never been given a shot so for Hardy to claim that he doesn't play the right way is just bunch of bull. Give the kid a damn shot for 20 minutes and see how he looks. That is the only way to really know what a guy can do because there is no comparison to actual game play.

I think Brice is getting this treatment because he is a rookie and therefore more teachable than JC or THT. Common sense man
The problem is there is nothing teachable when a guy doesn't actually see the court. You have to give him real minutes to see what he can do and then teach during that process.

There was a post-practice interview some days ago with Brice on the Jazz website. He was asked about Hardy's comment about worrying about everything else but shooting. Brice responded that he's done everything, done great, all done, fantastic. Felt a bit like "now gimme the damn minutes". Either he's a bit delusional as far as his own game goes or Hardy is totally blind. I have a strong bias out of those two options...

Brice and Taylor on the court at the same time is tankalicious.