What's new

The Rudy Gobert Impact

MT Steve

Contributor
We've played 16 games with Rudy Gobert starting, and 21 games where he was out or on a minutes restriction (the Rockets game). Below, I've broken out the offensive rating (points scored per 100 possessions), defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions), and the average rating of the opponents we've played. I've used basketball-reference's formula for calculating offensive and defensive ratings.

21 games without Rudy
Offensive Rating: 104.8 (14th)
Average Defensive Rating of Opponents played: 104.1
Net: +0.7

Defensive Rating: 109.1 (28th)
Average Offensive Rating of Opponents played: 105.6
Net: -3.5

This means we score 0.7 more points per 100 possessions against teams than they typically allow. And we let teams score 3.5 more points per 100 possessions than they typically score. Without Rudy, our offense is slightly above league average, but our defense is absolutely abysmal - among the worst in the NBA. All in all, we are getting outscored by an average of 2.8 points per 100 possessions without Rudy.

16 games with Rudy
Offensive Rating: 105.3 (11th)
Average Defensive Rating of Opponents played: 104.4
Net: +0.9

Defensive Rating: 100.4 (2nd!!!)
Average Offensive Rating of Opponents played: 104.1
Net: +3.7

With Rudy, we score 0.9 points more per 100 possessions against teams than they typically allow, and we let teams score 3.7 LESS points per 100 possessions than they typically score. In sum, we are outscoring opponents by an average of 4.6 points per 100 possessions with Rudy. Which is a staggering difference. Granted, there are other variables in play here - Favors's absence in more of the games without Rudy being the most notable. Nevertheless, in games with Rudy, relative to the quality of our opponent, we are doing 7.4 points better per 100 possessions. Our defense is almost dead last in the NBA without Rudy - with Rudy, it's behind only San Antonio.

That is a superstar-level impact.

Awesome thread. Well done.
I'm not surprised by any of it

Would rep if I could

Favors' co-absence definitely skews these results. Nevertheless, thank you for putting it together.

Gobert is my favorite NBA player, so I'm happy to leave it something like this: While we're trying to measure Gobert's impact on the game, it is safe to say that it goes well beyond any reduction to number.

Hayward is the face of the franchise and is being force-fed as the #1 option. . . but Rudy Gobert is the heart and soul of the team. His impact is significantly more than his production. Favorite NBA player right now, and only scratching the surface of his potential.

We have a pretty awesome front line. If we can add another impactful bench player and draft well, I could see us being very good next year. (hahaha next year... again)

We have a pretty awesome front line. If we can add another impactful bench player and draft well, I could see us being very good next year. (hahaha next year... again)

If we get everyone healthy after All-Star break, I think we will be very good, THIS YEAR.

Great post, thank you for taking the time to come up with these stats. Rudy is one of those rare players who's impact on the game can't be measured by statistics. No player is going to singlehandedly win a championship in this day's NBA, but Gobert is definitely one of the handful of players that you can build a contender around.

A defensive frontcourt of him & Favors, along with the perimeter defense of Exum (assuming he returns 100%) is a great core. Add a true #1 offensive option & you have a legitimate championship contender. Here's hoping they can find one.

Hayward is the face of the franchise and is being force-fed as the #1 option. . . but Rudy Gobert is the heart and soul of the team. His impact is significantly more than his production. Favorite NBA player right now, and only scratching the surface of his potential.

Gobert is our Ben Wallace. Hayward is our Rip. Favors is our Rasheed. We just need a Chauncey and a Tayshaun.

Can you imagine when Gobs develops that Gasol Bros 12 footer? He already has better court awareness I believe. He cannot show his assists yet because no shot or pump fake go to move. I am thinking that should be the sky hook by the way. You can tell he can assist better than any big man yet. He has all the talent and no shot. He would never become big al.

Can you imagine when Gobs develops that Gasol Bros 12 footer? He already has better court awareness I believe. He cannot show his assists yet because no shot or pump fake go to move. I am thinking that should be the sky hook by the way. You can tell he can assist better than any big man yet. He has all the talent and no shot. He would never become big al.

He hit a floater last game, maybe that will be his go to move.

Because of his higher center of gravity I don't think a back to the basket or low post game will ever be a consistent go to move for him (his speed and athleticism is his strength gaining too much weight would do more harm then good). I believe if he develops any offensive moves it will be more of a face up and a high post area, just IMO.

Gobert is our Ben Wallace. Hayward is our Rip. Favors is our Rasheed. We just need a Chauncey and a Tayshaun.

I'd say Dante is more like our Tayshaun. Good perimeter defender, good length for his position, spot-up shooter. We don't really have a Rip. Rip was all off-ball, amazing at coming off screens into open shots. Like a mid-range Reggie. Hayward and Hood are too ball dominant and rely a lot on the pick and roll to be Rip. Plus, today's emphasis on analytics discourages any future Rips from existing (mid-range shot is dead). Favor's is coming along but he is no Rasheed... yet. Gobert is a beast. Our team is actually really different than the Pistons in our construction, really.

Their record when he played >20 minutes was 30-21 (48 win pace), and when he played <20 minutes was 10-21 (26 win pace). Take that to mean what you may.

Random other thought that doesn't belong ITT, but IDK where to put it. How long until I'm allowed to make a new thread? How do I do it when I can?