What's new

The Tea Party Movement

Can someone please explain this? I keep seeing it on the news or paper, but then I see Sarah Palin's picture next to it, so I never click on it.

Can someone please explain this? I keep seeing it on the news or paper, but then I see Sarah Palin's picture next to it, so I never click on it.

He does bring up something pertinent though. If the tea party is ever going to have a real major impact they need to keep away from getting hi-jacked by the Republican Party of the current day. A political revolution is possible, but not if your impact includes electing the establishment. Pushing Sarah Palin over the top in '12 is not going to change anything, but I'm certainly semi-encouraged by what's looking like the probable outcome of this November.

Last edited:
Even right wing pundits have acknowledged that the Tea-Party Candidate in New Hampshire who won the Republican Primary is un-electable in the General Election. In the end this will probably cost the republican seats.

Still you have to be impressed when the richest 1% bankrolls a propoganda machine disguised as a Grass Roots Movement and they get this far this fast.

Even right wing pundits have acknowledged that the Tea-Party Candidate in New Hampshire who won the Republican Primary is un-electable in the General Election. In the end this will probably cost the republican seats.

Still you have to be impressed when the richest 1% bankrolls a propoganda machine disguised as a Grass Roots Movement and they get this far this fast.

Do you have anything to back up your statement that the wealthiest 1% is providing a large portion of the funding for the Tea Party? I've never heard that before.

A friend in Washington found it unfortunate/humorous that, given the libertarian nature of the movement, he was unable to get anyone involved in a Tea Party protest to sign the petition to get I-1068 (legalization of marijuana) on this year's ballot. They were equally uninterested in discussing cutting law enforcement and military expenditures.

Just a bunch of angry, religious, authoritarian idiots upset a black man is president.

Do you have anything to back up your statement that the wealthiest 1% is providing a large portion of the funding for the Tea Party? I've never heard that before.

I believe this is a reference to the Koch brothers.

Large profile (10,000 + words): https://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/08/30/100830fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=1

The anti-government fervor infusing the 2010 elections represents a political triumph for the Kochs. By giving money to “educate,” fund, and organize Tea Party protesters, they have helped turn their private agenda into a mass movement. Bruce Bartlett, a conservative economist and a historian, who once worked at the National Center for Policy Analysis, a Dallas-based think tank that the Kochs fund, said, “The problem with the whole libertarian movement is that it’s been all chiefs and no Indians. There haven’t been any actual people, like voters, who give a crap about it. So the problem for the Kochs has been trying to create a movement.” With the emergence of the Tea Party, he said, “everyone suddenly sees that for the first time there are Indians out there—people who can provide real ideological power.” The Kochs, he said, are “trying to shape and control and channel the populist uprising into their own policies.”

A Republican campaign consultant who has done research on behalf of Charles and David Koch said of the Tea Party, “The Koch brothers gave the money that founded it. It’s like they put the seeds in the ground. Then the rainstorm comes, and the frogs come out of the mud—and they’re our candidates!”

A friend in Washington found it unfortunate/humorous that, given the libertarian nature of the movement, he was unable to get anyone involved in a Tea Party protest to sign the petition to get I-1068 (legalization of marijuana) on this year's ballot. They were equally uninterested in discussing cutting law enforcement and military expenditures.

Just a bunch of angry, religious, authoritarian idiots upset a black man is president.

Being basically liberterian myself I was curious about the Tea party movement for a second or two...then I heard them talking about enforcing immigration laws, opposing gay marriage, and supporting "traditional values." Then I was done with the Tea Party.

Being basically liberterian myself I was curious about the Tea party movement for a second or two...then I heard them talking about enforcing immigration laws, opposing gay marriage, and supporting "traditional values." Then I was done with the Tea Party.

God forbid they weed out RINOs and actually stand up for Conservative values. I would rather have a Conservative candidate lose an election than to have a RINO like Mike Castle get elected into the Senate and further the liberal agenda he has been shown to support in the past.

God forbid they weed out RINOs and actually stand up for Conservative values. I would rather have a Conservative candidate lose an election than to have a RINO like Mike Castle get elected into the Senate and further the liberal agenda he has been shown to support in the past.

But you see, the tea party, the original one preceding the American Revolution, was about liberty and freedom. If you can't see that Republicans are more miss than hit on freedom and liberty you're blind. Just as was stated above, teh Tea Party is a rebranding of the Republican party. It's a purity test to weed out RINOs.

Does standing up for conservative values mean using the force of law to jam your religion down my throat? Just wondering.

About all that noise regarding Tea Party primary victories in NY and DE, a handy chart:

nyprimary.jpg

Remember that part of the Tea Party narrative is how energized and mobilized they are in these primary votes.

But you see, the tea party, the original one preceding the American Revolution, was about liberty and freedom. If you can't see that Republicans are more miss than hit on freedom and liberty you're blind. Just as was stated above, teh Tea Party is a rebranding of the Republican party. It's a purity test to weed out RINOs.

Does standing up for conservative values mean using the force of law to jam your religion down my throat? Just wondering.

I don't want my religion shoved down your throat. Let me be clear, I want some kind of fiscal Conservative agenda. I don't care what religion you decide to follow or even if you decide you don't want to follow one. That is your choice. I care about people spending my tax money on the study of catfish DNA. Or more recently to teach Africans how to wash their genitals. For all I care the GOP can be destroyed and the majority of the so-called mainstream Republicans can join the DNC. Because they are Democrats. If you are looking for me to argue Conservative social values then you are barking up the wrong tree. IMO, people can do what they like as long as it doesn't interfere with my freedom and vice-versa. I am just tired of people claiming that Tea Partiers must be racist because we have a black President and they are finally tired of us not being fiscally responsible. These are the same people who weren't happy with the Bush and Congress approved bank bailout as well as the Stimulus plan that has just done wonders for crab fisherman in Oregon trying to get back lost crab traps.

I don't want my religion shoved down your throat. Let me be clear, I want some kind of fiscal Conservative agenda. I don't care what religion you decide to follow or even if you decide you don't want to follow one. That is your choice. I care about people spending my tax money on the study of catfish DNA. Or more recently to teach Africans how to wash their genitals. For all I care the GOP can be destroyed and the majority of the so-called mainstream Republicans can join the DNC. Because they are Democrats. If you are looking for me to argue Conservative social values then you are barking up the wrong tree. IMO, people can do what they like as long as it doesn't interfere with my freedom and vice-versa. I am just tired of people claiming that Tea Partiers must be racist because we have a black President and they are finally tired of us not being fiscally responsible. These are the same people who weren't happy with the Bush and Congress approved bank bailout as well as the Stimulus plan that has just done wonders for crab fisherman in Oregon trying to get back lost crab traps.

I mistook what you meant by conservative values. I apologize for that.

My main beef with the tea party is that they do not seem to support expanding individual rights (property rights, including the freedom to keep and use your money as you see fit is a very core part of individual rights, and it sounds like we'd agree on those issues for the most part) when it comes to social issues, so they are really no different than Republicans to me.

I mistook what you meant by conservative values. I apologize for that.

My main beef with the tea party is that they do not seem to support expanding individual rights (property rights, including the freedom to keep and use your money as you see fit is a very core part of individual rights, and it sounds like we'd agree on those issues for the most part) when it comes to social issues, so they are really no different than Republicans to me.

I probably wasn't very clear on the subject. My Conservative Values statement was directed toward fiscal matters. With any group there are bad apples. I truly also believe they should also stress individual rights being restored. Not just the tax issue and the spending issue. Anyway, I would rather have a more fiscally Conservative candidate lose in Delaware than to have a fake Conservative win the seat(Mike Castle) and prolong the typical that has occurred not only throughout the Obama administration but also the Bush administration.