What's new

The Thunder

billyshelby

look about as good as us against the Spurs. By no means are we as good as the Thunder, but they got tortured on the pick and roll tonight just like we did. They've been incredibly stymied on offense just like we were. And they're finding out the hard way the Spurs are completely indefensible on offense. I'm sure the Clippers are nodding their heads.

Remember when the Spurs window was closing?

The Thunder are challenging the Spurs much more than we did because of their talent on the wings. I feel like we actually played smarter for the most part. I think the Thunder run a terrible offense, just alternating ISO's for Durant, Harden, and Westbrook with poor ball movement (especially when it's Westbrook's turn) and their defense is in awful in large spurts.

They really need to trade either Harden or Westbrook for an exceptional big man who can finish around the rim and has a feel for scoring, and change their offense to something a bit more sophisticated.

If they can somehow coax Phil Jackson out of retirement, I think he would be able to push them over the hump and make them a dynasty.

Ya I severly under estimated them. I thought they were done after last year. I wonder if Jefferson was that big of a drag on them, and maybe why they werent that good.

In fairness though. OKC is back to letting Westbrook play stupid ball. Harden should be controling the offense.

The Spurs though look like they are one of the best teams ever right now. It's a thing of beauty I have to say. .

The Thunder are challenging the Spurs much more than we did because of their talent on the wings. I feel like we actually played smarter for the most part. I think the Thunder run a terrible offense, just alternating ISO's for Durant, Harden, and Westbrook with poor ball movement (especially when it's Westbrook's turn) and their defense is in awful in large spurts.

They really need to trade either Harden or Westbrook for an exceptional big man who can finish around the rim and has a feel for scoring, and change their offense to something a bit more sophisticated.

If they can somehow coax Phil Jackson out of retirement, I think he would be able to push them over the hump and make them a dynasty.

Who do you think would be a good fit as a big man, Cy?

They have star players who rose up and made the game appear competitive. But they never even remotely had a chance in this game. They look just as "bad" as the Clippers or us against the Spurs, and they'll look just as bad as Miami when we see this movie again in the Finals. Spurs maybe lose twice from here on out.

Agree with your other point. They need a real big man. Not sure a better coach could do much more, but Ibaka and Harden are nice trade chips if they have a vision.

They have star players who rose up and made the game appear competitive. But they never even remotely had a chance in this game. They look just as "bad" as the Clippers or us against the Spurs, and they'll look just as bad as Miami when we see this movie again in the Finals. Spurs maybe lose twice from here on out.

Agree with your other point. They need a real big man. Not sure a better coach could do much more, but Ibaka and Harden are nice trade chips if they have a vision.

When I watch the games I feel as if the Thunder are giving the Spurs a greater sense of competition. The Spurs looked liked they were just on cruise control against us and the Clippers.

I don't know how you can disagree when the total margin of victory has been 12 points for the Thunder/Spurs series and was 46 for the Jazz/Spurs.

When I watch the games I feel as if the Thunder are giving the Spurs a greater sense of competition. The Spurs looked liked they were just on cruise control against us and the Clippers.

I don't know how you can disagree when the total margin of victory has been 12 points for the Thunder/Spurs series and was 46 for the Jazz/Spurs.

They're playing the Spurs better, but they're still outclassed. And the Spurs looked very much on cruise control for this game. OKC will be lucky to win 1 game. They won't win 2.

Pau would be perfect for them. But a trade doesn't work. I'm sure OKC will go into next season thinking that Ibaka will develop or the Spurs will get hurt so it doesn't matter. But if they're not prepared to match a Max Sheet for Harden, they have to deal him this offseason. So it could get interesting.

I tend to agree with that, but part of me feels he is more valuable to the team than Harden. At times he can be so dominant and is a much better defender than Harden.

I know what you are saying. Westbrook could beast if he just tweaked his game a little. Its gotta be hard for him though, to have to reign it in. The guy has crazy athleticism and skills. I think the coach just needs to do a better job teaching too.

Im sure the Thunder are going to play a lot better at home though.

Formula?

Give Harden ball, everbody follow his lead, and attack.

The Spurs looked liked they were just on cruise control against us and the Clippers.

Agree. The Spurs barely broke a sweat in kicking our ***. Next year when we play them in the first round again, I wouldn't be surprised if Pop just saves the old 3 for the 2nd round.

Miami is a "worse" version of OKC. Very star heavy without as much team ball/passing/getting role players involved.

OKC has Durant, Westbrook, and Harden.

Miami has Lebron (equal to Durant) and Wade... May not even have Bosh for the Finals.

Miami is pretty much cooked. Spurs already showed they can beat a team with a superstar on Durant's level even when he drops 31 points on 10-17 shooting, and Harden drops 30 on 10-13 shooting, they still get blown out. That's nuts.

I think up through the first 2 rounds there were questions about how the Spurs defense would handle true superstars like Durant/Lebron, but it's clear they have no problem with it, and the Spurs actually have an even more potent offense than OKC or Miami because they play team ball.

What makes the Spurs great is the fact that Pop is respected by the players and they pick talented no nonsense tough players who play as a team. If you watch the Spurs (especially against the Jazz) their spacing was picture perfect. Everyone on that team is willing and capable of passing the ball. I don't see anyone beating this team. It may happen but the only way for it to happen is to play small and then have a big man who can play Duncan alone.

The question that was asked about what big man would make a difference. I say Dwight Howard. The Thunder would have to decide between Harden and Westbrook. Say a Harden or Westbrook plus either Ibaka or Perkins. I would probably do the Westbrook/Perkins + plus 1st rounder for Howard + filler if salaries don't match.

Harden
SG
Durrant
Ibaka
Howard

Now that would be a starting five. The Thunder bench would be an issue but they could upgrade it through the draft/FA. Maynor would be back next year so he could play the point guard position and Harden could slide to the SG position.

...how about Pau Gasol? He can shoot, score, rebound, defend fairly well. Funny thing about Westbrook....although he plays like a hopper, he's a nice guy, articulates well, no jailhouse tats.....I can't figure him out for the life of me! I doubt he'll ever change on the court.

...how about Pau Gasol? He can shoot, score, rebound, defend fairly well. Funny thing about Westbrook....although he plays like a hopper, he's a nice guy, articulates well, no jailhouse tats.....I can't figure him out for the life of me! I doubt he'll ever change on the court.

No, no, no, how about Al Jefferson?