What's new

the top 5 worst jazz signing in past decade?

breezy

ok i was reading the article from yahoo sports on top 10 worst nba signings in the past decade, and i thought it might be interesting to see what top 5 worst jazz signings in the past decade were? your thoughts?

1. Kirilenko
2. Harpring's 4th year
3. Amaechi
4. Memo's extension
5. Saving this spot for Raja, pt. 2

1. Kirilenko
2. Harpring's 4th year
3. Amaechi
4. Memo's extension
5. Saving this spot for Raja, pt. 2

Blood, that's just plumb wack, eh? Just no way in HELL that any contract with Harp could ever be worse than one with Meech.

1.) Sloan extension
2.) Sloan extension
3.) Amaechi
4.) Sloan extension
5.) Kirilenko

1- Carlos Arroyo - you know you screwed up when you trade away a player for nothing who you had just signed to a 4 year deal.
2- Amaechi - Hated him before Utah. Hated him in Utah. But I did read his book.
3- Devin Brown - why he willfully signed with The Jazz is a mystery to me. Looked like he didn't want to be in Utah from day one
4- Memo extension - one too many years, too much money.
5 - Harpring extension - did they really think a 30 year old white role player with rapidly failing knees deserved a raise? Horrible sentimental move by LHM.

As far as the Kirilenko signing - it's bad because he never lived up to it. But at the time EVERYONE wanted it. Yeah some folks wanted to wait until the off-season because they might have been able to get him for a LITTLE less. But nobody said "screw him, let him walk". And if you say you said that either you're a liar or you didn't post here.

1- Carlos Arroyo - you know you screwed up when you trade away a player for nothing who you had just signed to a 4 year deal.
2- Amaechi - Hated him before Utah. Hated him in Utah. But I did read his book.
3- Devin Brown - why he willfully signed with The Jazz is a mystery to me. Looked like he didn't want to be in Utah from day one
4- Memo extension - one too many years, too much money.
5 - Harpring extension - did they really think a 30 year old white role player with rapidly failing knees deserved a raise? Horrible sentimental move by LHM.

As far as the Kirilenko signing - it's bad because he never lived up to it. But at the time EVERYONE wanted it. Yeah some folks wanted to wait until the off-season because they might have been able to get him for a LITTLE less. But nobody said "screw him, let him walk". And if you say you said that either you're a liar or you didn't post here.

I can honestly say that I a) posted here when AK was signed to his max contract and b) did not want the Jazz to sign him to a contract at all. (period) I hate AK I have since the beginning. I've always thought he was overrated and I disliked him from the start because at the time Harpring was my favorite player and him and AK played the same position. Also there is another poster on here who posted about not wanting AK signed to the max contract and said let him walk as well and I do believe that person was none other than CarolinaJazz if I recall correctly. So thats two forum members that were smart enough to realize AK blows and I'm sure there was a few others. Not all Jazzfanz members were on AK's junk from the get go.

Amaechi. We should have known he wasn't a Jerry Sloan kind of guy.
Kirk Snyder. Shouldn't have ever drafted him.
Luther Wright. Big risk at where we drafted him.
Trading for Curtis Borchardt.
Drafting Deshawn Stevenson out of high school. He's had some success, but still a head-case.

Jason Hart
Milt Palacio
Howard Eisley round 2
Derek Fisher
Matt Harpring extension
Raja Bell re-signing
Raul Lopez
Devin Brown
John Amaechi

Honorable mention for Curtis Borchardt and Morris Almond. Not sure what the Jazz were thinking.

AK---Like the player, always hated the contract (I was against giving him his max even back then)
Harpring---Giving this guy that much money at that age and obviously diminishing skills was terrible
Amaechi---Enough said
Tag---Never deserved that much money, this contract prevented the Jazz from getting better and actually having a shot at a title.

I can't think of a 5th one. Memo's extension turned out bad because of his injury. But I still maintain a C that did what he did prior to it was worth the amount at the time. This franchise has been pretty good about not making terrible mistakes with contracts. I did not count any draft or rookie contract because of the inherent risk of draft picks overall.

I have a few honorable mentions though.

Marc Jackson
Devin Brown
Gordon Giricek
Carlos Arroyo

All could be considered but none of them made enough to break the bank so I have a hard time putting them on this list.

Blood, that's just plumb wack, eh? Just no way in HELL that any contract with Harp could ever be worse than one with Meech.

The 4th year was worse. Team doctors told the Jazz that three was the maximum amount of years they should give Harpring. Instead, they tacked on that 4th year option. Amaechi was a total disaster, but at least his contract brought a first round pick in return. Harpring's 4th year cost the Jazz Eric Maynor, who is the back up point guard this team needs.

AK-47: i partly blame the NBA, it's ridiculous to have to make that big of a investment on a player, but the position the jazz were in at the time we almost had no choice. After Pau Gasol went for the max we had to follow suit or lose AK and be called a cheap skate and lose a lot of fans in the process.

Jason Hart: what were his comments when he first signed him? i can't remember but it was clear he didn't enjoy his time in utah, and we didn't enjoy his time in utah either. so it was a mutually agreement that it was a horrible signing. there is a reason certain guys move around so much in the league.

there are others but i don't feel like typing anymore..lol

1. John Amaechi 3 yrs $10 million
2. Gordan Giricek 4 yrs $16 million
3. Carlos Arroyo 4 yrs $16 million
4. Milt Palacio 1 year $1.4 million
5. Devin Brown 2 yrs

AK---Like the player, always hated the contract (I was against giving him his max even back then)
Harpring---Giving this guy that much money at that age and obviously diminishing skills was terrible
Amaechi---Enough said
Tag---Never deserved that much money, this contract prevented the Jazz from getting better and actually having a shot at a title.

I can't think of a 5th one. Memo's extension turned out bad because of his injury. But I still maintain a C that did what he did prior to it was worth the amount at the time. This franchise has been pretty good about not making terrible mistakes with contracts. I did not count any draft or rookie contract because of the inherent risk of draft picks overall.

I have a few honorable mentions though.

Marc Jackson
Devin Brown
Gordon Giricek
Carlos Arroyo

All could be considered but none of them made enough to break the bank so I have a hard time putting them on this list.

Can't argue much with your list. I might push Marc Jackson up to the top. Not for the contract, but for the way he destroyed the locker room and divided it into two factions. I think he really poisoned some of the players against Stockton and against Sloan...and that may very well be where some of the problems got roots in terms of AK.

And I agree re: Okur. You have to disregard injuries; unless there is a history with a player (like chronic back problems, or in Harp's case, the bad knees). You can't be expected to magically foresee a major injury. Okur was actually given less than what you might expect for a guy with his stats.

AK-47: i partly blame the NBA, it's ridiculous to have to make that big of a investment on a player, but the position the jazz were in at the time we almost had no choice. After Pau Gasol went for the max we had to follow suit or lose AK and be called a cheap skate and lose a lot of fans in the process.

Absolutely wrong. We didn't have to offer him MAX extension. Sure, Gasol signed one, but AK was still under contract. If we did not offer MAX and he played a year, we would still have his rights and could match any offer (for less money than what we gave him). Jazz have only themselves to blame for this blunder. And by the way, AK could have been traded several times and even offered to void his contract. Jazz did not agree. No one to blame here but themselves.

The 4th year was worse. Team doctors told the Jazz that three was the maximum amount of years they should give Harpring. Instead, they tacked on that 4th year option. Amaechi was a total disaster, but at least his contract brought a first round pick in return. Harpring's 4th year cost the Jazz Eric Maynor, who is the back up point guard this team needs.

Well, 3 outta 4 years is still 75% aint it? Better than 100% of Meech, see what I'm sayin?

1. Kirilenko
2. Memo extension
3. Harpring

Those were really the only 3 really bad ones. The others cant be considered that bad because they were for little money, and short length. Palacio, Eisley, etc. signed one year deals for the min.

no matter how bad the Kirilenko signing was, it is way better than the deal that the Knicks gave Allan Houston or what the Magic gave Rashard Lewis, so let's stop complaining.

AK
AK
Harp Extension
AK
AK

I don't like the Memo signing, but had he stayed healthy, and had he been a FA, he would have made a lot more than what he will be paid this year. Memo's contract is nothing more than bad luck. If Memo was healthy, that extension would have been genious for KOC.

I don't like the Memo signing, but had he stayed healthy, and had he been a FA, he would have made a lot more than what he will be paid this year. Memo's contract is nothing more than bad luck. If Memo was healthy, that extension would have been genious for KOC.
100% agree.