What's new

The two “tells” this season that it just wasn’t happening

Ineptimusprime

There were two points this season where I knew it wasn’t going to happen:

(1) I knew the team wasn’t mentally ready to win a championship after all the whining about the officials after our loss to the Sixers right before the All-Star break.
(2) I knew the roster wasn’t constructed to win in the playoffs when we got swept by the T’Wolves. Even bad teams with length and athleticism gave us fits.

1. Mike Conley is our highest paid guy.
2. Favours wasn't a difference maker as backup center. He certainly wasn't a star in his role this season

It was pretty evident for most of the season that even though were were leading the league at the time, we were built on a house of cards. Especially as we were also losing to some bottom feeding teams when we should have easily slaughtered them. The most recent loss we had didn't actually surprise me.. Especially with Donovan hurt and Gobert limping.

Sadly the elements surrounding us with the other teams meant this was probably going to be our best chance for a while. I've thought we've gotten where we got this season only because of the covid disruptions. If this were regular pre covid NBA there was no way we would have finished top of the league at the end of the season.

Last edited:
For me, it was how rarely the team was able to gut out a win when the gameflow wasn't all sunshine and rainbows.

They either got their 3 point looks easily, made them, and won going away, or the other team punched back and they wilted and lost. There were a few games where Mitchell carried us to victory in spite of the team wilting around him, but for the most part, this team did not function well at all in dogfights.

The trading for Matty Ice and the signing of Ersan were symptoms that the patient was not well. Korver and RHJ were sitting there available for nothing. The signing and waiving of Shaq was another. The waiving of NWG after he scored 15 points in a quarter against the Suns in pre season was another. The bizarre trades in the off season where we were paying people to take Tucker, Ed Davis and Tony Bradley off our hands were another.

(1) I knew the team wasn’t mentally ready to win a championship after all the whining about the officials after our loss to the Sixers right before the All-Star break.
(2) I knew the roster wasn’t constructed to win in the playoffs when we got swept by the T’Wolves. Even bad teams with length and athleticism gave us fits.
Eh, all teams whine about the officials. Just saw a headline on espn today saying "embiid frustrated with officiating despite win"

Games against the T'wolves, Heat in Miami and Washington foreshadowed the Jazz's weaknesses in the playoffs.