What's new

The Utah Jazz and the Quest to Win a Title

Tom Pitt

When 7:00pm rolled around yesterday, you would have found me sitting comfortably in my living room tuning in to the Jazz game. And while watching the Jazz lose to the Raptors last night did put a damper on my night, I ultimately ended up choosing to bask in the glimmering play of Donovan Mitchell. You know, the dude sporting the Mardi Gras gold Adidas who can be seen joyously juking, spinning, streaking his way to the basket. I think some people call it poetry in motion. The way I see it doesn't seem as cliche. His presence on the court hums a subtle, almost imperceptible, tune that at first sounds unfamiliar. I pause, listen and let the music play on in my basketball consciousness. It rings mellifluous, poised, effulgent, from the days of old when John and Karl tickled the keys and plucked the cords.

And then I stop myself right there. Wow, wow, wow. Suspend the reverie. You're dreaming... He's a rookie... That's ridiculous... But then, after a few minutes, I start to wonder. Can't live but to wonder. What do we have here?

No doubt a question to be answered with time and how fascinating of an answer it will ultimately be. It's early. Here we stand, 9 games in but man oh man have the first 9 games had moment after moment pulsate with promise and intrigue. Jazz rookies don't generally (ever?) look like this. Donovan is a good something to get used to. But if this kid becomes as good as it seems he could become, barring injury, the next 7-8 years (*crosses fingers* 10+ years?) of Jazz fandom project to be something else entirely different when compared to the prognostication moments after Hayward bolted for Boston. And if a star he is, the question will indubitably evolve from "is this kid a star?" to "how big a star is he?" and "What will be his place in the all-time NBA firmament?" Another quest for greatness. Quite the spectacle indeed.

But let's say Mitchell is in fact a star, that's just one piece-albeit an important one-to the championship puzzle. Not to mention the league is as talented as ever and in re the current NBA juggernaut, Golden State, one might say no team has ever seemed as towering and unbeatable- Already fresh off one of the greatest 3 year runs in NBA history, they could end up running the table for the next 5 years or so. Other teams will rise as well and to compete for a chance at elite status in the basketball stratosphere, the Jazz will need to scramble and adapt, be both innovative and sagacious. But even if they are all these things, and they probably will be, they'll be dependent upon luck to fall their way.

As the roster is currently constituted, there are a few undeniable concerns. When the Jazz played Golden State this last May in the postseason, most of such concerns were highlighted in neon; Nobody on the Jazz roster belonged on the court with Golden State except for Rudy and Hayward. Joe Ingles, Rodney Hood, Joe Johnson, Derrick Favors, Shelvin Mack, etc. were each in a very meaningful way neutralized or exploited. or both. To be expected in the postseason, more so the further you go.

Of course Hayward is gone now, and so the Jazz trudge on toward the horizon of relevancy with an all NBA center and a budding star with yet so much to prove. But if prove and ascend he does, the series vs the dubs was testament enough the Jazz will need another elite level player to reach the heights of mid June basketball. And so here we are, again, making wishes before blown out candles and shooting stars streaking across the sky. This is where luck and the blessing of the basketball gods must come in. As a team based in Utah, theres not a whole lot more to bank on. But for most Utahns, at least it's a lot easier to see the stars here when you compare it to most of the other big markets. Here's hoping it will prove easier for Dennis and the rest of the front office as well.

Last edited:
When 7:00pm rolled around yesterday, you would have found me sitting comfortably in my living room tuning in to the Jazz game. And while watching the Jazz lose to the Raptors last night did put a damper on my night, I ultimately ended up choosing to bask in the glimmering play of Donovan Mitchell. You know, the dude sporting the Mardi Gras gold Adidas who can be seen joyously juking, spinning, streaking his way to the basket. I think some people call it poetry in motion. The way I see it doesn't seem as cliche. His presence on the court hums a subtle, almost imperceptible, tune that at first sounds unfamiliar. I pause, listen and let the music play on in my basketball consciousness. It rings mellifluous, poised, effulgent, from the days of old when John and Karl stroked the keys and plucked the cords.

And then I stop myself right there. Wow, wow, wow. Suspend the reverie. You're dreaming... He's a rookie... That's ridiculous... But then, after a few minutes, I start to wonder. Can't live but to wonder. What do we have here?

No doubt a question to be answered with time and how fascinating of an answer it will ultimately be. It's early. Here we stand, 9 games in but man oh man have the first 9 games had moment after moment pulsate with promise and intrigue. Jazz rookies don't generally (ever?) look like this. Donovan is a good something to get used to. But if this kid becomes as good as it seems he could become, barring injury, the next 7-8 years (*crosses fingers* 10+ years?) of Jazz fandom project to be something else entirely different when compared to the prognostication moments after Hayward bolted for Boston. And if a star he is, the question will indubitably evolve from "is this kid a star?" to "how big a star is he?" and "What will be his place in the all-time NBA firmament?" Another quest for greatness. Quite the spectacle indeed.

But let's say Mitchell is in fact a star, that's just one piece-albeit an important one-to the championship puzzle. Not to mention the league is as talented as ever and in re the current NBA juggernaut, Golden State, one might say no team has ever seemed as towering and unbeatable- Already fresh off one of the greatest 3 year runs in NBA history, they could end up running the table for the next 5 years or so. Other teams will rise as well and to compete for a chance at elite status in the basketball stratosphere, the Jazz will need to scramble and adapt, be both innovative and sagacious. But even if they are all these things, and they probably will be, they'll be dependent upon luck to fall their way.

As the roster is currently constituted, there are a few undeniable concerns. When the Jazz played Golden State this last May in the postseason, most of such concerns were highlighted in neon; Nobody on the Jazz roster belonged on the court with Golden State except for Rudy and Hayward. Joe Ingles, Rodney Hood, Joe Johnson, Derrick Favors, Shelvin Mack, etc. were each in a very meaningful way neutralized or exploited. or both. To be expected in the postseason, more so the further you go.

Of course Hayward is gone now, and so the Jazz trudge on toward the horizon of relevancy with an all NBA center and a budding star with yet so much to prove. But if prove and ascend he does, the series vs the dubs was testament enough the Jazz will need another elite level player to reach the heights of mid June basketball. And so here we are, again, making wishes before blown out candles and shooting stars streaking across the sky. This is where luck and the blessing of the basketball gods must come in. As a team based in Utah, theres not a whole lot more to bank on. But for most Utahns, at least it's a lot easier to see the stars here when you compare to most the other big markets. Here's hoping it will prove easier for Dennis the rest of the front office as well.

Where did you learn to write like that?

DM's new nickname:

The Joyous Juker

I need to figure out how to incorporate the word effulgent into my vocabulary.

Mitchell and Rudy aren't enough. In the end, what has and will stop Utah, just as in the days of Stockton and Malone, are the many draft day failures and the unattractiveness of Utah as a free agent destination.

After Stockton and Malone, the Jazz' top picks were: Curry, Ortiz, Leckner, Blue Edwards, Murdock, Austin, etc.
Lindsey has a legacy of Burke, Exum, Lyles, and a wasted lottery pick for Hill. If we're counting, it took FIVE draft picks (three of them in the lottery) to finally land a PG. Of course he has also drafted Gobert and Mitchell.

But a team simply cannot miss on so many lottery picks. The reason the future is so bright for Boston is that their stockpile of talent allowed them to trade for Irving and STILL retain Brown, Tatum, etc. They're a contender right now with perhaps their best talent out for the season. Take away GS and you still have young teams like Minny with perhaps a better roster than Utah.

IMO, Lindsey has three chances to make this team a contender. And he must hit on two of them.

1. Trade expiring deals at the deadline for a fringe all-star. That would include some combination of Favs, JJ, Hood or even Exum.
2. Draft a starting 3 or 4 with this summer's lottery pick (if Jazz miss playoffs). Or use the pick in a trade.
3. Strip the team down to the guaranteed contracts + the draft pick and renounce Hood and Exum to clear cap room to bring in a scorer. Also includes finding a taker for Burks' contract. May have to give up a highly-protected future 1st or a couple of 2nd's to get it done.

Jazz could pull the role of the old defensive style Pistons and surprise the league once the playoffs start. It's definitely not out of the question with the amount of defensive stoppers we have this year.

Screw it, I'm calling it now, Jazz go all the way and the biggest upset in NBA history. Mitchell gets 6th man/ROY combo award and Ingles gets Finals MVP for his uncanny streak of 3 pointers drilled at the most important times. Might as well put those betting lines down now!

Jazz could pull the role of the old defensive style Pistons and surprise the league once the playoffs start. It's definitely not out of the question with the amount of defensive stoppers we have this year.

Screw it, I'm calling it now, Jazz go all the way and the biggest upset in NBA history. Mitchell gets 6th man/ROY combo award and Ingles gets Finals MVP for his uncanny streak of 3 pointers drilled at the most important times. Might as well put those betting lines down now!

I think they could surprise if there's a deal out there that includes shipping off the expiring corpse of Favors for a quality 4.

Mitchell and Rudy aren't enough. In the end, what has and will stop Utah, just as in the days of Stockton and Malone, are the many draft day failures and the unattractiveness of Utah as a free agent destination.

After Stockton and Malone, the Jazz' top picks were: Curry, Ortiz, Leckner, Blue Edwards, Murdock, Austin, etc.
Lindsey has a legacy of Burke, Exum, Lyles, and a wasted lottery pick for Hill. If we're counting, it took FIVE draft picks (three of them in the lottery) to finally land a PG. Of course he has also drafted Gobert and Mitchell.

But a team simply cannot miss on so many lottery picks. The reason the future is so bright for Boston is that their stockpile of talent allowed them to trade for Irving and STILL retain Brown, Tatum, etc. They're a contender right now with perhaps their best talent out for the season. Take away GS and you still have young teams like Minny with perhaps a better roster than Utah.

IMO, Lindsey has three chances to make this team a contender. And he must hit on two of them.

1. Trade expiring deals at the deadline for a fringe all-star. That would include some combination of Favs, JJ, Hood or even Exum.
2. Draft a starting 3 or 4 with this summer's lottery pick (if Jazz miss playoffs). Or use the pick in a trade.
3. Strip the team down to the guaranteed contracts + the draft pick and renounce Hood and Exum to clear cap room to bring in a scorer. Also includes finding a taker for Burks' contract. May have to give up a highly-protected future 1st or a couple of 2nd's to get it done.

You're ignoring the weak drafts DL has had to operate in. If every draft was equal to the 2017 draft, DL would have found some gems. Lyles was parlayed into DM, that is pretty good value. Normally you can't move up in the draft with a 12 and 24 to get a potential star. That is essentially what DL did. Exum is looking weak for a #5, and Aaron Gordon is breaking out this year, but Gordon was drafted ahead of us. The alternatives to Exum are Randle, Vonleh, Smart, Payton, McDermott, need I go on? For Burke, yes we'll have to give him the L.

Boston is not a contender.

You're ignoring the weak drafts DL has had to operate in. If every draft was equal to the 2017 draft, DL would have found some gems. Lyles was parlayed into DM, that is pretty good value. Normally you can't move up in the draft with a 12 and 24 to get a potential star. That is essentially what DL did. Exum is looking weak for a #5, and Aaron Gordon is breaking out this year, but Gordon was drafted ahead of us. The alternatives to Exum are Randle, Vonleh, Smart, Payton, McDermott, need I go on? For Burke, yes we'll have to give him the L.

Sometimes I think about how the Jazz could have walked away from the 2013 draft with Rudy Gobert and Giannis... Pipe dream.