What's new

The Way Quin Should Build his Lineups.

Batman

When the George Hill trade went down, my mind started spinning. While some Jazzfanz were crapping the bed by wondering if the 12th pick was too much a price for Hill, and while others were trying to decide if it even mattered, my mind rocketed to lineups and minute distribution. How's it gonna go down?

The popular take right now is
Hill
Hood
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

I don't want people to think I dislike this lineup. Obviously, the Jazz would win games with it. But I'm more intrigued by the following.

Exum
Hill
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

Why does this lineup interest me? Because it's hella good defensively and then you can let Hood and Lyles abuse 2nd units and it keeps Mack in the rotation which I am all for, at that point though, you are playing 9 guys because Burks needs minutes and will deserve them. But essentially your playing Mack the Few extra minutes you would have been playing Ingles with the popular lineup. Anyway I like my proposed lineup because you can always close with Hood at the 2 and then which ever is playing better out of Exum and Hill at the 1.

Imagine
Exum 25 min
Hill 28 min
Hayward 32 min
Favors 33min
Gobert 33 min

Lyles 31
Hood 30
Burks 24
Mack 5

Obviously this is a superficial because there are other lineups that will deserve a look like Faves at the 5 and Hayward at the 4, but regardless this conveys my point a bit. And I'd increase Exum's minutes if he's ready for it.

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

You really think Hood will or should be diminished that much? Wow. Interesting. I think he helps you win more than Alec does at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

How? I know how to edit the words away, but how do you make the post completely disappear?
It's easy if on the actual site.
Impossible on the app

I'm sure we'll see the Exum/Hill/Hayward/Favors/Gobert lineup plenty. That defense will be insane.

After an ACL tear, not playing an NBA game for a year and a half, and a pretty meh rookie year I think Exum will have his hands full with 18-20 mins a night playing backup pg. Let's see how he handles that. I don't really see why we would want to compromise our bench D while at the same time hurting our starters spacing. It doesn't make sense to me.

im actually excited to see

1-2: exum
1-2: hill
3: hood
4: hayward
5: favors

we will actually have a competent small ball lineup (even though we still have 4 guys 6'6" or taller, and all 5 are 6'8" or longer, it is comparatively small) with hayward stretching to the 4 and wreaking offensive havoc on nearly every 4 defender that tries to match up.