What's new

The Willy Hernangomez thread

Jazzta

In the pursuit of reinforcing the second unit for the playoffs I think that Willy is a player very well worth of taking a gamble on. In my opinion underutilized by Borrego, who's basically using him as his 3rd string center behind Zeller and Biyombo.

Some positive notes:
- High bb IQ, understands how to play the pick n' roll
- Has a good stroke and is unafraid to take three attempts when left open
- Is only 25 years old, I really think Quin could use his developmental magic on him
- The Jazz can get him cheap

He has been getting in foul trouble early this season but this is something that can be worked on. In 10 minutes last night he scored 15 points 6/6 from the field, including a 3 pter, 6 rebounds and 1 assist (in garbage time one could argue).

Bottom line, I think he's a low risk, intriguing prospect and I wouldn't mind the Jazz giving him a shot here. He also seems to be a genuinely nice dude that I think would merge into this team without a problem.

willy-hernangomez.jpeg

I think he’s about as effective as TB... And he’s 3 years older and unfamiliar with our system. If we go get anyone I want them to be a clear upgrade.

This site loves its "let's get this guy we just played against 'cause he had a few good minutes against us."

Dude can't get off the bench unless it's garbage minutes on a bad team. Could be the coach's fault, I guess, but why risk it?
I was wondering when this thread would flush you out.

Maybe the board isn’t enamored in the way you claim it is. Maybe, for example, some posters are actually familiar with a player and use the occasion of a game against him to start a discussion with less initiated people?

Dunno. I’m sure you feel like you have a total grasp of what’s going on. And that everybody can be easily lumped together.

I was wondering when this thread would flush you out.

Maybe the board isn’t enamored in the way you claim it is. Maybe, for example, some posters are actually familiar with a player and use the occasion of a game against him to start a discussion with less initiated people?

Dunno. I’m sure you feel like you have a total grasp of what’s going on. And that everybody can be easily lumped together.
lol

I was wondering when my post would flush you out.

Dude averages about 6mpg and already has about 30DNPs and plays behind two very flawed centers in Blowjobo and Zeller.

Something is amiss.

Get me back Marvin for depth at the 3 and now you're talking.

I find his being out of the rotation strange so I’m eager to learn more, because his production wasn’t a complete aberration last night (>20 PER, not unlike TB).

Tony’s been good, I really like his effort and his hands. I still question his IQ, his lateral quickness which I think he does his best with, and he generally just looks... sloppy, for lack of a better word. I don’t think his weaknesses or his experience (he is basically a rookie) make a strong case for a rotation player in the playoffs. I would like the Jazz to continue searching.

Hernangomez objectively played quite well last night (yes, in garbage time). If he’s just a little more sure-footed, comfortable shooting threes, and has a little better IQ then that looks like an upgrade to me.

Dude averages about 6mpg and already has about 30DNPs and plays behind two very flawed centers in Blowjobo and Zeller.

Something is amiss.

hornets are notorious for their player development though. so many talents gone wasted there. same thing can be said about the knicks. allonzo trier was a sensation in NYC a year ago. look where he is now. completely out of rotation. even their fans were not happy with the way their management treated their talents/prospects.

it's hardly because he chased empty stats on a bad team either. he scored 31 versus the rockets and completely embarrassed pJ tucker

if we fail to bring Clarkson back in the summer, Trier would be a good backup option.

Last edited:

Something is amiss.

I remember him playing well against us over the last few years and was surprised to see he was still on the Whorenettes when he checked in late in the game. I thought for sure we would have seen him sooner if he was still on the team considering the lack of quality play at that position we saw the rest of the game.

I wonder if he's in the doghouse and they're not playing him much to keep him from getting injured or something for trade value.

Something is amiss.

The return of the sticky bandit is nigh.