This is a Head Coach?

zman1527

From the Trib:

"
Utah Jazz: Korver and Harris compare notes on stints in Utah

By Bill Oram

| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Jan 11 2013 05:46 pm • Updated 8 hours ago

Atlanta • Kyle Korver and Devin Harris didn’t play together in Utah. They were separated by nearly a year, a head coaching change, and one moody superstar point guard.

But the two former Jazz players, who started for the Hawks against the Jazz on Friday at Philips Arena, still have a fair bit in common.
Related Stories

"They still run the same offense," Korver said, "and today we were going through the plays and we’re kind of looking at each other like, yeah he’s going to cut this way, they’re going to run this play, it’s still called the same thing and all of that stuff."

Unbelievable. We have a HC with so little creativity and individuality that the plays still have the same names from the previous coach. What the heck? Since he first took over and had no idea of who he wanted for assistant coaches I have been appalled with Ty's indecisiveness. Other examples include naming no captain last year and no one getting starter minutes this year. Are you developing youngsters or are you trying to get all you can out of the vets? Ty cannot decide so he tries to do both at once with predictable results.

He's a smart guy, he just has no personal convictions about what it takes to produce winning basketball. I suspect he goes back often to watch tapes of Ole Jer to see what he would do.

From the Trib:

"
Utah Jazz: Korver and Harris compare notes on stints in Utah

By Bill Oram

| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Jan 11 2013 05:46 pm • Updated 8 hours ago

Atlanta • Kyle Korver and Devin Harris didn’t play together in Utah. They were separated by nearly a year, a head coaching change, and one moody superstar point guard.

But the two former Jazz players, who started for the Hawks against the Jazz on Friday at Philips Arena, still have a fair bit in common.
Related Stories

"They still run the same offense," Korver said, "and today we were going through the plays and we’re kind of looking at each other like, yeah he’s going to cut this way, they’re going to run this play, it’s still called the same thing and all of that stuff."

Unbelievable. We have a HC with so little creativity and individuality that the plays still have the same names from the previous coach. What the heck? Since he first took over and had no idea of who he wanted for assistant coaches I have been appalled with Ty's indecisiveness. Other examples include naming no captain last year and no one getting starter minutes this year. Are you developing youngsters or are you trying to get all you can out of the vets? Ty cannot decide so he tries to do both at once with predictable results.

He's a smart guy, he just has no personal convictions about what it takes to produce winning basketball. I suspect he goes back often to watch tapes of Ole Jer to see what he would do.

Link?

This isn't news, Sloan did the same thing, the difference being that for a long time people couldn't stop it even if they knew what was coming. Hopefully as the players grow in the offence the current group will achieve that.

Anyone notice the Jazz sometimes pause after each pass trying to remember what comes next or waiting for the other guy to get into position? I think they are still learning the offence or each other. That is what happens with teams getting to know each other, so again, I hope they start to gell bettter.

This isn't news, Sloan did the same thing, the difference being that for a long time people couldn't stop it even if they knew what was coming. Hopefully as the players grow in the offence the current group will achieve that.

Anyone notice the Jazz sometimes pause after each pass trying to remember what comes next or waiting for the other guy to get into position? I think they are still learning the offence or each other. That is what happens with teams getting to know each other, so again, I hope they start to gell bettter.

Don't you find it amazing that a new HC coach runs all the same plays with the same freaking names as the previous coach? Does he not have one single original idea? For this he gets paid millions?

I think the entire fan base knows the offense by heart at this point.

1. Take 10 seconds to make the entry pass into Al, who has been pushed out about 15 feet from the basket by this time.
2. There is then a 90% chance the entry passer, usually the PG, gingerly cuts through the lane to the opposite side of the floor with no real purpose.
3. Al usually fails to back down defender down for a good post move so contemplates three options: a)push shot b)contested jump shot c)pass back
4. If C, there is usually only about 6 seconds left. We have no great shot creators, so are usually left with a low percentage jump shot off a half baked screen (often set by Al).

Now when Al doesn't touch the ball, the offense is much more unpredictable, there is time to run plays, and get higher percentage shots. Here is the result of the one game Al missed this year.

https://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=400277999

Don't you find it amazing that a new HC coach runs all the same plays with the same freaking names as the previous coach? Does he not have one single original idea? For this he gets paid millions?

well maybe one of Corbin's primary tasks as an assistant was to come up with names for the plays...

:wink:

Am I the only one who thinks its impressive that even if the other team knows your plays, you can still put 95 points up? The ultimate strength of an NBA play is that you can run it well even if the other team knows it.
This same thing happened in Brooklyn and we killed them.

Errr......I mean....fire Ty!!

What is alarming is that people find this alarming. No team in the NBA runs a play that is a surprise. And if you think changing the name means folks would not figure out the play you must not have played any basketball before.

I told you he is Sloan lite and this **** aint gonna work. Not to mention its predictable. Players not getting the ball in that play do nothing and show it with their body language so there is no point to guard him. At this point you are playing 4on5, 3on5.. ect.

Am I the only one who thinks its impressive that even if the other team knows your plays, you can still put 95 points up? The ultimate strength of an NBA play is that you can run it well even if the other team knows it.
This same thing happened in Brooklyn and we killed them.

Errr......I mean....fire Ty!!

There would be no problem with Al if he could score as efficiently as most #1 options, but with an awful TS% of 52%, you need to mix it up more. You are statistically an underdog nearly every game.

Names of plays matter?

From the Trib:

We have a HC with so little creativity and individuality that the plays still have the same names from the previous coach.

Having players on the same team learn new names to the same plays would seem to be completely unnecessarily

You don't seriously think the Jazz would be better off with different play names, do you?

Sub Burks/Favors for the lockdown duo of Earl/Jeffy when we have a 10 point lead and only need to play defense.......

Such bad crunch time coaching tonight.... just awful.