What's new

This is the move that Exum needs to add...

whatthe

Driving hard to the rim, go up in the air to draw in the defender, and a wrap around pass to the trailing big man. Stockton used to do this pass all the time and I think Exum could do it as well.

Cool, but do it more and do it from all directions. And do it with Gobert, Favors, Crowder, Thabo (all the 4's and 5's and maybe the 3's).

Except Exum misses most of his layups even if he is mostly wide open. He needs to work on getting his layups in the hole before adding any extra passes around the rim.

He also needs to work on his balance and vertical.. A lot of his layups he ends up with his butt on the ground and out of the court entirely. (which usually ends up with the other team getting an easy conversion at the other end)

Reactions: MVP
Driving hard to the rim, go up in the air to draw in the defender, and a wrap around pass to the trailing big man. Stockton used to do this pass all the time and I think Exum could do it as well.

I have seen X do that quite a few times this year already.
Manu and stockton had more opportunities to make that play though since they both were on the court more often than X is iirc.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

He also needs to work on his balance and vertical.. A lot of his layups he ends up with his butt on the ground and out of the court entirely. (which usually ends up with the other team getting an easy conversion at the other end)

Yeah, this is true. And is particularly aggravating when he doesn't convert the layup. It's an automatic 5 on 4 on the other end.

Exum tries creative passes in the lane. They are always nice, but I wouldn't call them a "move".

I don't know if he really needs to add any moves outside off being able to hit a jump shot.

This. If his spot up jumper was good he could really take advantage of closeouts... I’ve liked most of his drives and passes once he gets separation. Gets caught sometimes but has been able to get out of it more the last few games. He generally makes the right pass when the big is open.

He’s looked better. Didn’t finish well last game but when he sucks everyone in even if he misses we have a great shot at a putback.

This. If his spot up jumper was good he could really take advantage of closeouts... I’ve liked most of his drives and passes once he gets separation. Gets caught sometimes but has been able to get out of it more the last few games. He generally makes the right pass when the big is open.

He’s looked better. Didn’t finish well last game but when he sucks everyone in even if he misses we have a great shot at a putback.

Yeah I agree with this. His numbers don't look good last night as far as shooting. But two of the misses were putbacks (he still should have made both as they were wide open), two were fouls that weren't called, and a couple others he just missed. It's not ok to miss 4 shots that you should make from point blank range. But I think with Exum he just needs tons more chances to take those shots and learn how to get more consistent in live game situations. You just can't replicate the intensity any other way than playing, and even though he's played quite a bit he hasn't had the ball in his hands very much in his career. In the second unit they should just run PnR with Exum to death, imo. He got on top of the rim like 10 times last night. He can basically do that 80% of the time in a PnR situation. You have to use and develop that kind of a weapon.

Yeah I agree with this. His numbers don't look good last night as far as shooting. But two of the misses were putbacks (he still should have made both as they were wide open), two were fouls that weren't called, and a couple others he just missed. It's not ok to miss 4 shots that you should make from point blank range. But I think with Exum he just needs tons more chances to take those shots and learn how to get more consistent in live game situations. You just can't replicate the intensity any other way than playing, and even though he's played quite a bit he hasn't had the ball in his hands very much in his career. In the second unit they should just run PnR with Exum to death, imo. He got on top of the rim like 10 times last night. He can basically do that 80% of the time in a PnR situation. You have to use and develop that kind of a weapon.

I thought his defense was good last night too... haven't seen the lapses. He seems to just be playing and not overthinking things. He's a guy that I can tell physically when he is thinking and not just playing.

He gets a terrible whistle though... if he was officiated on offense how he is on defense I think he'd shoot 10 FTs a game. Offensively its generally fair, but on defense he seems to get picked on with calls.

Jump shot. 3 pt range. That's it. /thread