What's new

.....this loss was inexcusable.

carolinajazz

....didn't see any of this game, but was completely flabbergasted that the Jazz would lose to a .500 ball club at home with 3 days of rest coming in. What does the box score tell me? Lots. I know Deron shot well and scored 30 plus points. But 6 assists and 5 turnovers by your point guard....is just not acceptable. It really all starts and ends with him. You can't make a good play....then come down and make a bad play....and think you've really accomplished anything. And that seems to be the case with Deron these days. The Jazz problems have been categorized as being "inconsistent".....and he's the most inconsistent of them all. When your point guard has 5 of the 17 turnovers.....your just not going to win many games. I'm sure there are other contributing factors, but again, it all starts and ends with your point guard. Anyone else seeing the same thing I'm seeing???

....didn't see any of this game, but was completely flabbergasted that the Jazz would lose to a .500 ball club at home with 3 days of rest coming in. What does the box score tell me? Lots. I know Deron shot well and scored 30 plus points. But 6 assists and 5 turnovers by your point guard....is just not acceptable. It really all starts and ends with him. You can't make a good play....then come down and make a bad play....and think you've really accomplished anything. And that seems to be the case with Deron these days. The Jazz problems have been categorized as being "inconsistent".....and he's the most inconsistent of them all. When your point guard has 5 of the 17 turnovers.....your just not going to win many games. I'm sure there are other contributing factors, but again, it all starts and ends with your point guard. Anyone else seeing the same thing I'm seeing???

NO

....turnovers are hugh in close games. Deron cuts his turnovers to 3 instead of 5...that's a potential 8 point swing. The two points we get, the two points they don't get x's 2! Don't know how many turnovers Deron is averaging....but too many to suit me!

I also think this loss was inexcusable because of the way most of the players played, wanted the game. I would not say they were complacent but they looked overconfident. Memo and Deron were the only players who IMO left the game at positive notes. However, today, in my home country, I listened a radio talk show and asked the expert about our loss. He has lots of connections to Utah and Chicago and is close to some players there. He told me that all teams have a hard time putting a good basketball show on the floor after long road trips and more importantly after Christmas. He said that especially in a state like Utah, where Christmas is given big importance, it is hard to comeback from that spirit, atmosphere to the basketball court. I do not know at all if there is any truth or empirical evidence behind this but he went on to say that Portland had its crappy performance against GSW and they were perked after. Let's see how team will respond after this pathetic home performance.

Sounds like someone is eating crow after declaring our schedule was full of chumps CJ. And pretty funny Stevie Wonder accusation after admitting you did not see the game. Pot calling kettle .....

You're partially right about D-Will. He wasn't setting up many easy buckets last night, but his teammates also couldn't hit a shot. He could have easily ended up with 9-10 assists. They shot 43% or something sub-par. His 3 point shooting was the only highlight of the game. If he shot average then this was a blowout with crap stats all around.
AK had a fantastic Q1, and disappeared thereafter. 2 assists, 2 boards, 1 block, 4 pts in Q1. Those were his totals. His help d was pretty good in Q2 though.
AJ couldn't hit a close shot. He pulled a Raja and dumped off too many easy shots to a guy draped in red jersey.
Raja hit two threes, finally, but is a serious offensive liability all the same. He reminds me of Kobe guarding Brewer. TAKE THE OPEN SHOT DAMMIT.
Chucker chucked. He hit his first trey, a long ball that should have sent his *** to the bench for the remainder. He didn't make much after. 1-5 3pt and 3-11 total. Useless. No free throws again.
Aldridge pretty much bitch slapped Millsap and AJ. Jefferson chalked it up to a hot streak. Nada. Aldridge created and made very easy shots over piss poor defense.

Cue The Thriller's shtick.

Apparently, you havent been looking at the boxscore because Deron was +5 & out starting bigs were a collective -13 (Al -7, Paul -4, AK -2).
Next you look at the rebounding numbers -10 (Al + Paul = 12). Lastly, Portland was playing very long at the end of the game (deflections, blocks, boards) & Aldridge dominated Al in crunch time.

Fast don't lie but boxscores (esp in this sport) can be deceiving.

I missed most of the first half, but in the second half where was the low post game? They hardly even tried. WTH? Why are Al and Paul on the floor then?

I love when the Jazz win there's never a new thread made about anything but as soon as they do trade threads, complaining, and anything else pops up out of no where.

I also think this loss was inexcusable because of the way most of the players played, wanted the game. I would not say they were complacent but they looked overconfident. Memo and Deron were the only players who IMO left the game at positive notes. However, today, in my home country, I listened a radio talk show and asked the expert about our loss. He has lots of connections to Utah and Chicago and is close to some players there. He told me that all teams have a hard time putting a good basketball show on the floor after long road trips and more importantly after Christmas. He said that especially in a state like Utah, where Christmas is given big importance, it is hard to comeback from that spirit, atmosphere to the basketball court. I do not know at all if there is any truth or empirical evidence behind this but he went on to say that Portland had its crappy performance against GSW and they were perked after. Let's see how team will respond after this pathetic home performance.

If that was the case why did they put out a good 1st quarter?

DWill wasn't being the court leader. Put it on him. He did shoot good from behind the arc though.

millsap 3 rebounds. lol our starting powerforward gets outrebounded by an injured memo on our team that played way less minutes.

Apparently, you havent been looking at the boxscore because Deron was +5 & out starting bigs were a collective -13 (Al -7, Paul -4, AK -2).
Next you look at the rebounding numbers -10 (Al + Paul = 12). Lastly, Portland was playing very long at the end of the game (deflections, blocks, boards) & Aldridge dominated Al in crunch time.

Fast don't lie but boxscores (esp in this sport) can be deceiving.

....there was enough blame to go around....but from the comments received by other posters....my suggestion that Deron needs to regroup and stop with the silly turnovers certainly has some merit!

Sounds like someone is eating crow after declaring our schedule was full of chumps CJ. And pretty funny Stevie Wonder accusation after admitting you did not see the game. Pot calling kettle .....

...not the first time I've eaten crow...won't be the last, either!

....didn't see any of this game...What does the box score tell me? Lots. I know Deron shot well and scored 30 plus points. But 6 assists and 5 turnovers by your point guard....is just not acceptable. It really all starts and ends with him. You can't make a good play....then come down and make a bad play....and think you've really accomplished anything. And that seems to be the case with Deron these days. The Jazz problems have been categorized as being "inconsistent".....and he's the most inconsistent of them all. When your point guard has 5 of the 17 turnovers.....your just not going to win many games. I'm sure there are other contributing factors, but again, it all starts and ends with your point guard. Anyone else seeing the same thing I'm seeing???

Let's call this Exhibit A of why you don't draw conclusions after only reading a box score.

Just one example where you're wrong: 1 of the TO's was a terrific wrap-around bounce pass to AK underneath the basket, but AK fumbled it out of bounds. -1 assist and +1 TO right there that's not on Deron.
If you want someone to blame, blame Millsap, Jefferson, Bell, Kirilenko. Not Deron.

We lost the game because we were extra sloppy. And because we couldn't stop Aldridge at all.

Let's call this Exhibit A of why you don't draw conclusions after only reading a box score.

Just one example where you're wrong: 1 of the TO's was a terrific wrap-around bounce pass to AK underneath the basket, but AK fumbled it out of bounds. -1 assist and +1 TO right there that's not on Deron.
If you want someone to blame, blame Millsap, Jefferson, Bell, Kirilenko. Not Deron.

agreed. Did ak even play yesterday. Just don't remember him even there. I remember hayward more than ak.

If sloan has hayward finish the 4th quarter trying to lead us back again i will have to jump over the seats and injure hayward just so sloan cant play him. Is he really our best 4th quarter closing shooting guard?