What's new

This made me kinda sad today...

Violence and hate speech by Antifa radicals is wrong
Violence and hate speech by White Nationalists is wrong.

Why y'all taking sides?

Just join condemn radicals, violence and hate speech wherever it happens.
We’ve been instructed that blaming both sides is a farce, and that it’s clearly only one side.

If I could deliver a message to the Liberal press over this incident, it might be this: "I value truth. What are you doing? Get stories like this straight. You have a responsibility to get it straight, when it was not at all difficult to get it a lot straighter then you did. You are hurting the cause by falling well short of the truth. And that cause is get that SOB man-child bully the hell out of that office, while we still have any allies at all, while we have a dolt in office who insists on being president for only a minority of citizens. Do not use edited videos to illustrate the nature of our divisions. We know what those divisions are, we don't need these kind of mistakes. Keep shedding light on what is wrong with this president and his administration. You don't need to toss the truth out the window to do that. Don't play into Trump's hands. Smarten up."

I do value truth. I want to know who is behind the suspended Twitter account @2020fight. Which posted the one minute clip with the most views on social media, and who captioned that clip "This MAGA loser gleefully bothering a Native American protestor at the Indigenous Peoples March".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ligence-committee_us_5c47914be4b025aa26bdf2be

If I could deliver a message to the Liberal press over this incident, it might be this: "I value truth. What are you doing? Get stories like this straight. You have a responsibility to get it straight, when it was not at all difficult to get it a lot straighter then you did. You are hurting the cause by falling well short of the truth. And that cause is get that SOB man-child bully the hell out of that office, while we still have any allies at all, while we have a dolt in office who insists on being president for only a minority of citizens. Do not use edited videos to illustrate the nature of our divisions. We know what those divisions are, we don't need these kind of mistakes. Keep shedding light on what is wrong with this president and his administration. You don't need to toss the truth out the window to do that. Don't play into Trump's hands. Smarten up."

I do value truth. I want to know who is behind the suspended Twitter account @2020fight. Which posted the one minute clip with the most views on social media, and who captioned that clip "This MAGA loser gleefully bothering a Native American protestor at the Indigenous Peoples March".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ligence-committee_us_5c47914be4b025aa26bdf2be
I don't view this as fundamentally a press issue. I view your above sentiments as exactly why this story is what it is, however. You know all those things we learn in social psychology? Yeah, well, they're relevant across the spectrum, despite that we've used these exact same social psychological principles to create huge blind spots where we won't recognize half the time that they're being employed or playing out.

So can you and your victim shaming. Cry on...

Soon as you retract your head from your arse, go back to planting it in the sand for the duration of our Trumplandia interlude. I do think it was very noble of you to come to the defense of the "poor children", as you put it, though. That did bring a tear to my eyes.

Today I Learned:

The press is in all places at all times and has perfect knowledge of all things. If they ever get a story wrong it is because they are lying.
It was initially reported the way it was because that's the extent of the video that was first available. The reports were corrected fairly quickly and at this point you'll find significantly greater information presented about the incident. There is no indication at all that major news outlets intentionally withheld information or promoted a story that they knew to be false.

There has been no retraction. There was never a need for one. CNN has several stories on their front page that dig deeper into the incident. They aren't hiding from the truth at all.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/opinions/washington-dc-marches-national-divisions-maltby/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/twitter-suspends-account-native-american-maga-teens/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/us/maga-hat-teens-native-american-second-video/index.html

So this is not a case of burying the retraction. This is a case of intentionally misleading video being spread across the internet and then reported on by major news outlets. Nathan Phillips was interviewed, and had he been honest this would have been cleared up very quickly, but he fed into the false impression the first video presented. More information came out (the news media is not all knowing, if you can show me that they had proof that their reports were false at the time they aired them then show that) and none of the major news outlets hid from the truth.

I agree with you that Nathan Phillips should be considered a non-credible person. I'd even agree that he was likely intentionally dishonest and misleading. What were his motivations? I don't know for sure. But of the three groups in this incident I think those kids share the least amount of blame. Both the Hebrew Israelites and Nathan Phillips were the primary instigators, and that's a conclusion you'd likely come to if your one and only source of news was CNN.

Just a small aside, and a real question that I don't know the answer to. You mention Nathan Phillips film crew? My assumption is that this is video shot from a phone camera. Is there some source indicating that Nathan Phillips had a film crew?

"Film crew" being the people who shot and distributed the video. The people who provided the quotes that went along with the original story. It was quite clearly a setup. They were working with Phillips. I have run large political events and we would have people to scan the crowd and mark the people who were obviously there to "make a story." It is pretty common, they are pretty obvious, and there were probably multiple groups like this at the march. We would have signs that said, "Don't talk to these people!" that someone would follow the instigators with. Eventually they would leave without incident. These high school kids and their leaders wouldn't have been educated on that, which is why, along with their hats, they were targeted.

Thing is, that the press that was present knows about this too, which is why they can't simply be excused of "being deceived." They got the story they wanted. If there was no threat of being sued, they wouldn't have backed down.

What press was present? What did those specif press people report?

"The press" is not a single thing.

You make a significant claim but provide nothing to substantiate it. Is it just so obvious that we should all assume it to be true?

Oh, and in a video I just watched of the incident I did see what appeared to be Native Americans with video cameras (not phone cameras) so I'll go with you on calling that a film crew.

So there was no press present at the largest march of the year? Seriously? And, yes, the press is a community. They are largely homogenous in their political and social views and get their "news" largely from the same sources. Are you implying that "reporting" on a youtube clip exonerates them from their responsibilities to get the story right? It doesn't. It actually confirms that they wanted a premeditated outcome. All the stories had quotes, did those quotes come from the youtube video? Reporters interviewed Phillips only, who was lying, and reported it as gospel. The original stories also had other quotes, who were also lying, as well. Where did those people come from? They were likely referred by Phillips. They were there to make a story with Phillips. Needless to say, that isn't the way you do journalism. . .

If there was press there then who were they and what did they report? You're making assumptions. I'm not going to have a discussion based on your unsubstantiated biases.

Again "the press" is not a single thing, so if a news outlet was on scene and had access to information that they ignored so that they could report a misleading account of what happened name them. If you can't then you're just telling stories that you want to believe.

Something that strikes me as strange is how and why was Nathan Phillips giving an interview to CNN less than 24 hours after the incident?

Would that not suggest that there was other media around? Or suggest that he was looking for a story to give to the media? He did have a film crew right? Does he have CNN on speed dial. How does that happen so quickly?

Something that strikes me as strange is how and why was Nathan Phillips giving an interview to CNN less than 24 hours after the incident?

Would that not suggest that there was other media around? Or suggest that he was looking for a story to give to the media? He did have a film crew right? Does he have CNN on speed dial. How does that happen so quickly?

I find it absolutely bizarre that you find that striking. You mentioned it before.

I wouldn't doubt that Nathan Phillips reached out, but it wouldn't require any of that.

You should see how fast aircraft fly these days. It's pretty fast.

It's the same for everyone in the same circumstances. The advantages it provides can be enhanced or countered by other types of privilege.
So there are different levels of white privilege? Am I Interpreting your answer correctly?

Lets just use a scale as an example.

A scale of 1-10, 10 being the most white privilege someone can have.

Can one white man be a 1 on that scale? What about .5, or.001 . Where do you draw the line? Whats the minimum amount of white privilege one can have.

I imagine news outlets might have started by contacting the organizers of the march https://www.facebook.com/indigenouspeoplesmarch/

They either leave contact info or ask for the identity of the person in the video and boom, book a flight. Could have happened hours after the video surfaced.

I imagine news outlets might have started by contacting the organizers of the march https://www.facebook.com/indigenouspeoplesmarch/

They either leave contact info or ask for the identity of the person in the video and boom, book a flight. Could have happened hours after the video surfaced.
I find it absolutely bizarre that you find that striking. You mentioned it before.

I wouldn't doubt that Nathan Phillips reached out, but it wouldn't require any of that.

You should see how fast aircraft fly these days. It's pretty fast.

Well obviously it had to happen something like that. I wouldn't suggest that CNN and Nathan Phillips were in contact any time before the incident.

Pretty impressive none the less though. To be able to figure out who it was so quickly, contact them, book a flight, care rental, eat, use the bathroom, sleep(possibly), etc.. And also account for the time it took the twitter buzz to get them from some anonymous account. I guess things go viral instantly.

You don't get a pass because your source lied to you. You get multiple sources. If you can't you don't run the story. The press CHOSE to ignore these protections. They weren't victims. They made the CHOICE to run a bad story. That's fake news. Even if the story turns out correct, you still failed Journalism 101. You have one freaking job!

Last question, if the kid isn't wearing the Trump hat, is this news at all? If no, then yes the press deserves all of the crap they have received.

You don't get a pass because your source lied to you. You get multiple sources. If you can't you don't run the story. The press CHOSE to ignore these protections. They weren't victims. They made the CHOICE to run a bad story. That's fake news. Even if the story turns out correct, you still failed Journalism 101. You have one freaking job!

Last question, if the kid isn't wearing the Trump hat, is this news at all? If no, then yes the press deserves all of the crap they have received.
They don't need multiple sources of a video. LOL please stop telling us how journalism works. And if a person is willing to make a statement on the record, with their name attached, you don't need a second source for that, either. You print the person's statement with their name attached and/or you show video of them saying it.

When someone makes a statement on the record it is their reputation that's on the line, not the specific news organization they're talking to.

And again, despite your claims to the contrary, "the press" is not a single thing. There are over 1 million people who work in "the press" https://www.statista.com/statistics/184736/number-of-employees-in-the-us-media-industry/ and you claim (without any substantiation at all) that it is a "homogeneous" community that all has roughly similar political and social views. That's flat out ridiculous.

You're spewing a lot of garbage that you haven't made a single attempt to back up.

Do you think there's a reason for that? I mean, aside from blind, inexplicable, bias?

Honestly? No, not from a kid who really didn't do anything but stand there.

Do you think there's a reason people quickly jump to the conclusion that the kid was being racist just for wearing a MAGA hat? Do you think it's related to the behavior they've seen from Trump supporters, or is it people being patsies to the media's agenda?

They don't need multiple sources of a video. LOL please stop telling us how journalism works. And if a person is willing to make a statement on the record, with their name attached, you don't need a second source for that, either. You print the person's statement with their name attached and/or you show video of them saying it.

When someone makes a statement on the record it is their reputation that's on the line, not the specific news organization they're talking to.

And again, despite your claims to the contrary, "the press" is not a single thing. There are over 1 million people who work in "the press" https://www.statista.com/statistics/184736/number-of-employees-in-the-us-media-industry/ and you claim (without any substantiation at all) that it is a "homogeneous" community that all has roughly similar political and social views. That's flat out ridiculous.

You're spewing a lot of garbage that you haven't made a single attempt to back up.

Apparently, you don't really have any idea how journalism works. If a person makes an allegation that puts someone in a negative light you ALWAYS get the story from the other person unless they refuse to talk, then you try to get the other side regardless. If I go on youtube and call someone a pedophile, is that newsworthy as long as I film them in front of a schoolyard?

What repercussions has Phillips had from lying? Not one news organization will take him to task? Why do you think that is? Because of all the newsroom diversity you keep touting?