What's new

This Season was a Success

AlaskanAssassin

If you would have told me before the season began that the following things would occur:

-Rudy would miss a significant chunk of the season.

-Favors would miss a significant chunk of the season.

-Alec would miss over 50 games.

-Dante would miss the entire year.

-We would start a rookie PG for the bulk of the season.

If you knew that all of these things would have occurred, how many games would have have expected the Jazz to win? Would you have picked them to make the playoffs?

To seriously call this season a disappointment is ignoring the obvious. We were a borderline playoff team that had significant injuries to key positions. We were not built to withstand those injuries and we didn't have the veteran leadership on the team to overcome those obstacles. The coaches got everything they could out of these players and they gave it their best on virtually every night of the year. If anything, we overachieved.

Let's not ignore some of the positives from this year. Hayward flirted with averaging 20ppg. When Rudy was healthy, he continued to dominate defensively. Favors showed he has the potential to stretch that jumper out. We obtained Mack for a 2nd round pick. Lyles could be a future all-star (no joke).

The only thing we missed out on was the opportunity to be swept by the greatest regular season team in NBA history. With a little better luck and continued improvement, maybe we can host a playoff series next year. Anything is possible.

Glass-half-full-web.jpg

If you would have told me before the season began that the following things would occur:

If you knew that all of these things would have occurred, how many games would have have expected the Jazz to win? Would you have picked them to make the playoffs?

To seriously call this season a disappointment is ignoring the obvious. We were a borderline playoff team that had significant injuries to key positions. We were not built to withstand those injuries and we didn't have the veteran leadership on the team to overcome those obstacles. The coaches got everything they could out of these players and they gave it their best on virtually every night of the year. If anything, we overachieved.

Let's not ignore some of the positives from this year. Hayward flirted with averaging 20ppg. When Rudy was healthy, he continued to dominate defensively. Favors showed he has the potential to stretch that jumper out. We obtained Mack for a 2nd round pick. Lyles could be a future all-star (no joke).

The only thing we missed out on was the opportunity to be swept by the greatest regular season team in NBA history. With a little better luck and continued improvement, maybe we can host a playoff series next year. Anything is possible.

View attachment 4780

Being of a science-based background, that all glasses are full regardless of the amount of water in them (water, and gases). does that make me an ultra-optimist?

I agree with this post....but at the same time, if you were to tell me at the start of the season that it would take 42 wins to make the playoffs I would expect us to make the playoffs.

View attachment 4780

Great post

Not to mention that we have the 12th pick. I find that highly encouraging considering DL and Snyder's penchant for picking the right guy and developing them very well. Gobert, Hood, Lyles. Can't wait to see what a healthy Exum and the #12 does next year.

Not to mention that we have the 12th pick. I find that highly encouraging considering DL and Snyder's penchant for picking the right guy and developing them very well. Gobert, Hood, Lyles. Can't wait to see what a healthy Exum and the #12 does next year.

While the track record has shown that DL has been savvy later in the draft, he's still getting role players, and it's still very unlikely we get a star at 12. Do we see a package deal to move up? That's my anticipatory inquiry.

While the track record has shown that DL has been savvy later in the draft, he's still getting role players, and it's still very unlikely we get a star at 12. Do we see a package deal to move up? That's my anticipatory inquiry.

I see the Jazz packaging assets to get a veteran more than I see them packaging assets to move up in the draft.

That's usually what you get in that range. Role players. Something the Jazz need considering Ingles and Johnson got significant time this season. Is the star we need likely? No. But another great role player that we need certainly is. That's still a need.

I hope that DL at least explores, in depth, trades moving up/down in the draft and for other players.

Didnt know Utah was a lottery team even without Kanter, what happened the "best defense in the NBA thingy" after the Kanter trade ?

Didnt know Utah was a lottery team even without Kanter, what happened the "best defense in the NBA thingy" after the Kanter trade ?

This is a silly post.

Utah was 19-34 last year before trading Kanter. They went 40-42 this year despite having the most games missed by starters of any team. Oh and their 6th man also missed over half the season.

Their defensive efficiency was still 7th overall this year - last year before the Kanter trade it was bottom 10.

This is a silly post.

Utah was 19-34 last year before trading Kanter. They went 40-42 this year despite having the most games missed by starters of any team. Oh and their 6th man also missed over half the season.

Their defensive efficiency was still 7th overall this year - last year before the Kanter trade it was bottom 10.

Outcome = Still a lottery team big difference, and thats with more experienced squad than last year

Outcome = Still a lottery team big difference, and thats with more experienced squad than last year

Relatively healthy Jazz with Kanter = Win 35% of games, bottom 10 defense.
Most injured team in NBA Jazz without Kanter = Win 49% of games, top 10 defense.

There's a lot of arguments one could make when claiming that Kanter is a good player. Comparing the Jazz's performances with Kanter and without him is definitely not one of them. ;)

Being of a science-based background, that all glasses are full regardless of the amount of water in them (water, and gases). does that make me an ultra-optimist?

As another sciency guy, I say the status of the glass depends on the starting conditions. If the glass started out empty, and you filled it half way, then it is half full. If it started out full, and you emptied half of it, then it is half empty. I am sure this analogy relates to the Jazz somehow...

Relatively healthy Jazz with Kanter = Win 35% of games, bottom 10 defense.
Most injured team in NBA Jazz without Kanter = Win 49% of games, top 10 defense.

There's a lot of arguments one could make when claiming that Kanter is a good player. Comparing the Jazz's performances with Kanter and without him is definitely not one of them. ;)

Yet you still couldnt make playoffs with a more experienced squad, so much for the " Utah defence is the best in the NBA without Kanter "

Yet you still couldnt make playoffs with a more experienced squad, so much for the " Utah defence is the best in the NBA without Kanter "

Yeah man. It is pretty crazy what losing 3 terrific defenders for a combined 123 games will do to a squad's defense. Gotta hand it to the Jazz - under those circumstances, finishing 7th overall is actually quite impressive.

Yeah man. It is pretty crazy what losing 3 terrific defenders for a combined 123 games will do to a squad's defense. Gotta hand it to the Jazz - under those circumstances, finishing 7th overall is actually quite impressive.

Only Exum was injured whole season, not like a second year PG who cant shoot going to help you alot tho