What's new

This Team Is Weird...In a Good Way.

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Is it just me or is this year's team a bit weird?

I'm not a stat guy. I'm not a FO, contract, trade machine guy. I'm not all that into advanced analytics. I hardly know **** about any team other than the Utah Jazz, I don't follow players, I don't follow prospects, I don't follow other teams.

But I do love the Utah jazz!

This team is weird. They win hard. Like when they win they just destroy their opponent. They make it look easy.

They don't always win, and that's the part that makes this team interesting to look at. Most of their losses come when other teams play statistically outside their norms. The Jazz have lost 13 times and it seems like most of those losses come when the other team plays with outlier stats in several areas.

That's weird, isn't it?

Is this team weird? I hope so! Weird teams are hard to play against.

Yeah, basically if the Jazz play their 'normal' game and the opponent plays their 'normal' game, the Jazz will statistically 100% win the game. That is a pretty powerful formula, especially for the regular season.

Now when the best other teams are shortening their benches, the stats may come out closer, but for now, the design of this roster and style of play turns it into a bit of a machine. The Nets are kind of the opposite approach to the same thing- throw enough individual players that are so good that they are statistical outliers at the other team that you always have an advantage- but that is purely by the players themselves gaming the system. Here the coach/management get credit for putting it together.

The difference in a lot of these games has been effort. Sometimes the Jazz just flat out don't show up.

I noticed we don't respond well against physical defense. Like against Mavs, DM seems to lose a bit focus when the defensive guy bodies him up. He was forcing his game instead of playing loose and letting things flow. Same with Clarkson and Bogie. They seem to be affected by physical defenses.

It’s a fact that the Jazz haven’t lost a ‘normal’ game since the huge streak started.

Jazz will also be undefeated since the Suns game when the rematch happens on the 30th. Heard it here first.

We arent giving enough credit to the teams who have forced Utah into bad games. It's not just Utah shooting it poorly. It;s the other teams making the offense ugly for the Jazz and forcing them into out of rhythm 3 pointers.

I give a lot of credit to this team being very resilient to their style though. Even when they are in these bad games it feels like they always have a chance to win the game.

Sex machines are often weird, I’ve found. Much research.
They’re able to preform when they’re all loose and having fun. But then occasionally there is a bit of pressure and it throws them out of their rhythm and they can no longer rise to the occasion. Instead of relaxing and enjoying things, they’re focused on performing, which is taking their mind away from where it should be, and perpetuating their inability to preform.

They’re able to preform when they’re all loose and having fun. But then occasionally there is a bit of pressure and it throws them out of their rhythm and they can no longer rise to the occasion. Instead of relaxing and enjoying things, they’re focused on performing, which is taking their mind away from where it should be, and perpetuating their inability to preform.
Weirdly accurate. Weird team. Preform, perform, all holes, no matter.