What's new

this team might just suck.

Eh it’s not really tanking if we aren’t losing on purpose. We just might be bad enough to get a #6 pick (currently a .400 team is in that slot) when in most years that level of play would be like the 12th or 13th. You’re never too old to acquire young, cheap talent.

We are too good to tank or lose at that rate or make painful trades for the greater good.

So basically we're exactly where we were last year at this time....except Gobert isn't injured...but some could argue that that is offset by travel schedule.

So basically we're exactly where we were last year at this time....except Gobert isn't injured...but some could argue that that is offset by travel schedule.
Not really. Last year Utah had a brutal December schedule. One could argue that even WITH Gobert, Jazz may have only been a few games better.

Jazz have regressed while everyone else got better. There were no internal improvement jumps from guys like Dante, Mitchell and O'Neale. Jazz lost some depth in Jerebko by replacing him with "GLeague" Georges.

Lindsey stood still while other GM's ran circles around him.

Not really. Last year Utah had a brutal December schedule. One could argue that even WITH Gobert, Jazz may have only been a few games better.

Jazz have regressed while everyone else got better. There were no internal improvement jumps from guys like Dante, Mitchell and O'Neale. Jazz lost some depth in Jerebko by replacing him with "GLeague" Georges.

But the schedule has been just as brutal this year as it was last year.

This team has some nice pieces and a great coach.

One big problem though is that there are at least 4 players who wouldn't be in the NBA if they weren't on the Jazz.
Dante Exum
Raul Neto
Thabo Sefolosha (as a 34 year old)
Georges Niang

There's also an argument to add Royce O'Neale, but I think he'd have a spot in the NBA given his defense and 38% 3 point shooter. Those four players listed above though are playing such woeful basketball this season.

The schedule isn't getting much easier. The Jazz play in the toughest division in the NBA. At the end of the year they'll be right near the top in the most difficult schedules played.

One big problem though is that there are at least 4 players who wouldn't be in the NBA if they weren't on the Jazz.
Dante Exum
Raul Neto
Georges Niang

There's also an argument to add Royce O'Neale, but I think he'd have a spot in the NBA given his defense and 38% 3 point shooter. Those four players listed above though are playing such woeful basketball this season.

The schedule isn't getting much easier. The Jazz play in the toughest division in the NBA. At the end of the year they'll be right near the top in the most difficult schedules played.
Dante will be in the NBA. He hasn't even been given a go to show anything. I'm telling you quin has done his best job to ruin him. I'm hoping Dante gets traded. He's the best athlete on the jazz. Terrible take no idea.

How is it DL's fault they young guys didn't improve? You're not going to bring in some volume scorer like Rudy Gay or Tyreke Evans to take shots away from Mitchell if you think he's the centerpiece of the offense going forward. Exum also I'm sure he thought could make a jump and contribute 13 points a game, he's at 6.7

Dante Exum
Raul Neto
Georges Niang

You make a good point, while I agree with your sentiment I think I disagree with you slightly. To me its not guys that would or wouldn't be in the NBA, the problem is those guys are asked to play bigger roles than they are capable of playing on a regular basis. And its not just Dante, Raul, Thabo or Georges, it is also Joe, Jae, Derek, and Rubio. The argument might also be made that Donovan as a sophmore sg is sometimes asked to do too much. If the Jazz want to be anything more than decidedly average they need a potential all-star to play in the the starting line-up thus moving the other players down into roles they are more suited for.

Now if only the fix was easy. Nearly every NBA team could make the same claim, that they are just one all-star away from whatever their goal is.

Lindsey and company have some work to do.

Dante will be in the NBA. He hasn't even been given a go to show anything. I'm telling you quin has done his best job to ruin him. I'm hoping Dante gets traded. He's the best athlete on the jazz. Terrible take no idea.
Your love of the Jazz and hope of Exum actually being good is clouding your judgement. The Jazz are holding on to him because they've invested so much and he is fast at least, I'll give him that. It's the sunk cost bias though.

Exum is injury prone, a career 30% 3 pt shooter and below shooting 40% on FGs. The dude's effective FG% this year is 45% That is so so bad.

Lol, here we go with the overreacting threads. Blow up the team!
Ok, fair enough. At one point do we cross the line from 'over reacting' to 'properly reacting?" I mean, 1/4 of the season gone, two games below .500 and probably three games after tonight, third-to-last in West, multiple major egg laying games and blow-out losses (including a 40+ point loss to a very average Mavericks team), defense that's regressed in a big way, offense that's regressed with almost nobody who can shoot reliably from 3 (even Ingles has regressed from 3 and, frankly, isn't playing well consistently), losses to multiple teams missing their top player, losses to non-playoff teams that are almost must wins given the context, etc.

Last year's second half turnaround was an anomaly and hardly a blueprint for repeated success, yet that seems to be what many Jazz fans are counting on.

While fans do overreact, no doubt, I'm getting a bit weary of Jazz apologists on social media and elsewhere ginning up excuse after excuse to explain what has been, to date, a very disappointing season. Granted, if things turn around, I'll happily eat my words, but from where I sit, I'm not counting on another miraculous turnaround, and the Jazz need to pull their collective heads out and, soon, go on some kind of run.

Your love of the Jazz and hope of Exum actually being good is clouding your judgement. The Jazz are holding on to him because they've invested so much and he is fast at least, I'll give him that. It's the sunk cost bias though.

Exum is injury prone, a career 30% 3 pt shooter and below shooting 40% on FGs. The dude's effective FG% this year is 45% That is so so bad.
That's cause when he comes in they have him standing in the corner. He's not that sort to player to stand in the corner.

Andy Bailey has an article about how we are the most inconsistent team in the league... pretty interesting. https://www.slcdunk.com/2018/12/17/...e-least-consistent-team-nba-toughest-schedule

The schedule has been brutal, so honestly even if we were more consistent or just playing better I think it really only makes a few win difference. The issue to me is the big losses. We play so bad some nights that if it continues we will lose games we should win... even when playing awful opponents (Cough* Orlando *Cough). I think we can take away from this tough schedule that the team has some significant flaws it needs to address.

If Joe, Donovan, or Rudy miss a 10-15 game stretch in the easy part of the season we are toast... being healthy is more important during the easy part of your schedule than the hard part.

We need more offensive creators and we need better outside shooters.... period.

Andy Bailey has an article about how we are the most inconsistent team in the league... pretty interesting. https://www.slcdunk.com/2018/12/17/...e-least-consistent-team-nba-toughest-schedule

The schedule has been brutal, so honestly even if we were more consistent or just playing better I think it really only makes a few win difference. The issue to me is the big losses. We play so bad some nights that if it continues we will lose games we should win... even when playing awful opponents (Cough* Orlando *Cough). I think we can take away from this tough schedule that the team has some significant flaws it needs to address.

If Joe, Donovan, or Rudy miss a 10-15 game stretch in the easy part of the season we are toast... being healthy is more important during the easy part of your schedule than the hard part.

We need more offensive creators and we need better outside shooters.... period.
Did he blame it all on Rubio and say to start Exum? cuz that's his schtick .

Orlando isn't awful, Clifford has done a pretty decent job with them. They're not good, but they're not awful.

Did he blame it all on Rubio and say to start Exum? cuz that's his schtick .

No, but he did note DM, Joe, and Exum's numbers in wins and losses... was weird he included Exum in that trio. I didn't sense an agenda on this one.

5 - 6 at home isn't what I would call embarassing, and I just posted evidence to suggest that the Jazz could start winning more games when they get to play at home more since their net rating is +3, which is around 8th in the league compared to other teams, and they shoot a hell of a lot better when at home.

If you're arguing that the Jazz simply don't have enough talent or firepower to be a true contender in the playoffs then I agree, but I would also add that anyone who expected this team that was entirely run back from last years team to magically improve across the board to become a contender had set themselves up for disappointment.

Yes being 5-6 is embarrassing considering the "home court advantage". If they shoot so much better then why are they 5-6. Playoff teams usually dominate at home. I didn't expect improvement across the board but I didn't expect everyone to take a step back either. The whole reason for bringing back guys was to be ready and not to have to teach everyone the system. While other teams needed time to mesh the Jazz should have been ready from the get go.

I never expected the Jazz to be contenders immediately but I expected them to move towards that instead of looking like a lottery team. The Western conference is vastly improved so that can explain some of the Jazz struggles but the reality is that the NBA game has changed to more of a run and gun type league with scoring up through out the league. So if you have a team built on defense and lacking of scorers then you are going to struggle. Jazz probably didn't see it coming so fast but they are going to have to adjust quickly or they are going to be in a hole they can't recover from. Many Jazz fans are just counting on the Jazz flipping the switch when the schedule gets easier. I am saying you can't count on it.

Memphis, Denver, Dallas, Lakers, Kings, Thunder, Clippers are better.
Houston is worse and GS. Both of these teams were top 2 last year but at the end of the day GS will be there and maybe Houston will move up but they may miss the playoffs or squeak in.

Portland, Utah, New Orleans, San Antonio, Minnesota are flawed teams. All or at least 3 could be missing the playoffs with winning records.

Suns suck and are rebuilding

I just don't see us putting O'Neale on the block because he makes less than $2 million and he's so close with Mitchell.

I agree he's the least likely to go. Unless someone else wants him included on a trade, or we can upgrade. He is definitely should be target for upgrading. As much as we like him, we've got to improve somewhere. Maybe we add another wing, but throw him deeper down the bench.

I'm really down because I want Exum, Rubio, Favors, and O'Neale to be the guys. I like them.

It's just a sad reality that maybe they aren't good enough.