What's new

This teams defense stinks

sgjazzfan

Seriously, so many teams go off on the Jazz and shoot lights out. 57 % tonight from 3 and 57 % from the field. Before tonight teams were 37.5 % on 3's, good for 24th in the NBA. Is it just luck, is it the scheme, or is it players? Jazz have been bottom 7 the last 3 years (including this year) against the 3, and were last in overall FG % last year (currently are 26th and were 20th 2 years ago). Funny that the defense is now worse without Big Al (don't have a problem with him leaving, my biggest complaints against him were his offensive efficiency).

I don't live in Utah, and work evenings so I can rarely watch games, so all I can go off is stats, so I would appreciate any insight.

Our interior defense is decent, but we don't have a guard who could even defend a cardboard cutout. What I'm noticing is very lazy switches. Players only go out a few feet and guard against the drive. They don't contest 3's or long 2's.

trey burke stands still while the opposing PG blows past him and completely corrupts the defense. All night. End of story.

I still don't understand why Toure Murry is not getting a chance....in theory he should be a good defender.

The worst thing is that Burke is committing himself to defense but without success.

Last edited:
I can see big changes in the way things are don offensively and I would say we are heading in a good direction there. I have to admit I haven't watched defense as closely as some, but it seems like we are stuck in the hamster wheel.

Trey is a problem. I have been a supporter, but I noticed that he was playing Lowry to the left, picking him up sideways. I thought it made screens even more difficult and he was getting beat left anyways. I'm sure it was what he was supposed to do, but it was definitely not working. Does he always pick his man up sideways? (I really need a picture to explain that well)

Our interior defense is decent, but we don't have a guard who could even defend a cardboard cutout. What I'm noticing is very lazy switches. Players only go out a few feet and guard against the drive. They don't contest 3's or long 2's.

Long 2s are shots that should be essentially given to the other team as they are the worst shots you can take.

I feel I have to continue to preface that I haven't watched any games, but I'm guessing this has a lot to do with teams putting Kanter and Burke in the PnR. Also, is Quin still trying to make Kanter guard on the perimeter instead of drop back to the free throw line? Because if so, what in god's name is he ****ing thinking?

What Corbin Knew: Having Enes Kanter play anything close to starter minutes would equal a complete **** show on defense.

Kanter has actually picked up a little bit on defense (he's still bad). It's our guards that are the biggest flops.

I think the writing is on the wall (written by many): Burke or Kanter are gone after this year.

I think we need a thread dedicated to primary d, secondary d, and rim defense (realizing the redundancy there).

I loathe hearing about so and so is a bad defender.. when no account is taken (i.e.) to perimeter d being a sieve.

Proper accountability within a thread.

What Corbin Knew: Having Enes Kanter play anything close to starter minutes would equal a complete **** show on defense.

And yet the Jazz were still one of the worst defensive squads in the NBA last year. . .

almost every team in nba has an amazing pg. so they always bit trey off the dribble. that pretty much breaks down the defense.

I think a lot of people have pointed out the obvious already.

Burke cant stay in front of his player and it forces the entire defense to break apart.

Kanter has improved but yes he is still weak on defense.

So Corbin smartly brought him off the bench right?

Must have made our defense alot better. What were we ranked defensively last year anyway?