What's new

Thorpe's Sophomore Rankings

Could you summarise his main points for those of us without access to Insider ? Thanks !

Here's a couple of paragraphs on Gobert:

Consider that opponents make 17 percent less of their shots (compared to the league average) within 6 feet of the rim when Gobert is there, and 13.5 percent less from inside 10 feet. Timofey Mozgov, whom the Cavs acquired to help seal off the paint, forces opponents to make 3.8 percent less within 6 feet and 3.1 percent less from inside 10 feet. Meanwhile, the league's leading shot-blocking center, DeAndre Jordan, causes opponents to make 2 percent less from inside 6 feet and 3.5 percent less from inside 10 feet. What Gobert is doing is impressive, and it should go without saying that his impact also leads to opponents taking fewer paint shots to begin with.

In addition, Gobert is scoring more, passing better, being stronger and smarter with the ball and rebounding just a shade below where he was as a rookie. In other words, his improvement is not a fluke. He looked the part in the Vegas summer league and on France's national team, and he has been even more sensational in the NBA this season. At just 22 (and with a body that is still developing) he has even more room to grow as a player -- a fact that should greatly excite the Jazz.

Love it!

But it also says how weak the draft class was that year.

Thanks insider ESPN. I couldn't have figured it out without you.

Best money ever spent for some real insider information.

Thanks insider ESPN. I couldn't have figured it out without you.

Best money ever spent for some real insider information.

Is that $2.50 a month really setting you back? They give you a bi-weekly magazine along with some pretty good exclusive articles. I'm surprised at the number of people who don't see this as a great deal.

Is that $2.50 a month really setting you back? They give you a bi-weekly magazine along with some pretty good exclusive articles. I'm surprised at the number of people who don't see this as a great deal.

I think its great. But then again, I don't have hacls level of intelligence.

and last year we had a group of people that said he was raw, and nothing special. some of us saw through that, and through the limited playing time.....something special.

Just out of curiosity. . . who all did make the top 10?

A strong candidate for most improved player, Gobert has jumped from being a nonfactor to a player making a major impact. Utah is not a strong defensive team overall, except when Gobert is in the game. His nimble feet, agility and prodigious wingspan help clog up space up near the rim.

Consider that opponents make 17 percent less of their shots (compared to the league average) within 6 feet of the rim when Gobert is there, and 13.5 percent less from inside 10 feet. Timofey Mozgov, whom the Cavs acquired to help seal off the paint, forces opponents to make 3.8 percent less within 6 feet and 3.1 percent less from inside 10 feet. Meanwhile, the league's leading shot-blocking center, DeAndre Jordan, causes opponents to make 2 percent less from inside 6 feet and 3.5 percent less from inside 10 feet. What Gobert is doing is impressive, and it should go without saying that his impact also leads to opponents taking fewer paint shots to begin with.

Credit: Fox Sports Spurs

In addition, Gobert is scoring more, passing better, being stronger and smarter with the ball and rebounding just a shade below where he was as a rookie. In other words, his improvement is not a fluke. He looked the part in the Vegas summer league and on France's national team, and he has been even more sensational in the NBA this season. At just 22 (and with a body that is still developing) he has even more room to grow as a player -- a fact that should greatly excite the Jazz....

Keep an eye on:
Ben McLemore, Kings; Trey Burke, Jazz; Nick Calathes, Grizzlies; Michael Carter-Williams, 76ers

Last edited by a moderator: