What's new

Thoughts and Prayers

The Thriller

thoughts and prayers. It had been a day or two since the last school was shot up. So we were due for another mass shooting. Brings the total to 18 now for this year.

Thoughts and Prayers, and congress will do nothing. Think we can get a good 3 days maybe before the next school or theater is shot up?

The sad thing is most Americans support sensible gun reforms. Sad that we are letting the NRA buy off the gop and bully the majority of us.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Steve Kerr with some bloody common sense

for some reason liveleak link wont work

thoughts and prayers. It had been a day or two since the last school was shot up. So we were due for another mass shooting. Brings the total to 18 now for this year.

Thoughts and Prayers, and congress will do nothing. Think we can get a good 3 days maybe before the next school or theater is shot up?

The sad thing is most Americans support sensible gun reforms. Sad that we are letting the NRA buy off the gop and bully the majority of us.
Please specify what "sensible gun reforms" means. That's where things go off the rails. I mean very few would say "I'm against sensible gun reforms" but I would be against limited magazine capacity, for instance, where you might feel like that's a sensible gun reform.

Side tangent ignoring the gun part of it for a moment.

I'm hearing things like the people that knew him thought something was up. Described as troubled and a loner... They somewhat expected him to do something.

So, how and why did we fail this kid? What went wrong? Why weren't these signs taken seriously and the approach altered. Were teacher, parents and school officials notified? Was this kid bullied and harassed? Was he the bully? Was there violence at home?

Instead of a story about a troubled teen getting the support and outreach they needed to turn things around we have a story about gun death and shattered lives.

When will we start taking that part of this seriously? When are we going to get better at finding these lost, troubled souls and helping them heal and move forward?

Jesus...

Side tangent ignoring the gun part of it for a moment.

I'm hearing things like the people that knew him thought something was up. Described as troubled and a loner... They somewhat expected him to do something.

So, how and why did we fail this kid? What went wrong? Why weren't these signs taken seriously and the approach altered. Were teacher, parents and school officials notified? Was this kid bullied and harassed? Was he the bully? Was there violence at home?

Instead of a story about a troubled teen getting the support and outreach they needed to turn things around we have a story about gun death and shattered lives.

When will we start taking that part of this seriously? When are we going to get better at finding these lost, troubled souls and helping them heal and move forward?

Jesus...

His parents were dead. He’d done stupid **** in school and showed signs there and on social media. But without parents, I’m not sure who was guiding him or what could be done.

In my experience in schools, most admins are worried about keeping their jobs and getting paid and that means making the data look good and therefore suspensions and expulsions and the ilk low. It’s sad but true.

His parents were dead. He’d done stupid **** in school and showed signs there and on social media. But without parents, I’m not sure who was guiding him or what could be done.

In my experience in schools, most admins are worried about keeping their jobs and getting paid and that means making the data look good and therefore suspensions and expulsions and the ilk low. It’s sad but true.

It is sad and needs to be fixed.

This kid was brought to the attention of the FBI 5 months ago.

Until we start getting real about the why and how to fix that this will keep happening.

Please specify what "sensible gun reforms" means. That's where things go off the rails. I mean very few would say "I'm against sensible gun reforms" but I would be against limited magazine capacity, for instance, where you might feel like that's a sensible gun reform.

Just curious. Why would you be against limited mag capacity?
How would that change negatively affect your life?

39d213f257d799f54d16d6b0fcbf414b--line-art-cartoons.jpg

Just curious. Why would you be against limited mag capacity?
How would that change negatively affect your life?
I don't believe it would accomplish very much at all as far as criminal gun acts are concerned. By far most gun murders are committed with handguns and only a few shots are fired. That's the biggest gun issue there is and almost none of the "sensible regulations" address it at all.

I believe that individuals have a right to defend themselves. There are situations where magazine capacity could be advantageous. If you look at the riots in LA after the Rodney King verdict, I believe it would be advantageous in holding off a mob.

The 2nd amendment is fundamentally about the people's right to resist the government. As laughable as many find that idea, I believe an armed populace is a deterrent to an abusive government. Limiting magazine size limits that deterrent.

In 60% of mass shootings the weapon is a handgun.

I don't believe it would accomplish very much at all as far as criminal gun acts are concerned. By far most gun murders are committed with handguns and only a few shots are fired. That's the biggest gun issue there is and almost none of the "sensible regulations" address it at all.

I believe that individuals have a right to defend themselves. There are situations where magazine capacity could be advantageous. If you look at the riots in LA after the Rodney King verdict, I believe it would be advantageous in holding off a mob.

The 2nd amendment is fundamentally about the people's right to resist the government. As laughable as many find that idea, I believe an armed populace is a deterrent to an abusive government. Limiting magazine size limits that deterrent.

Great response.
Do you think that a mag capacity law would negatively impact your life in any way?

Great response.
Do you think that a mag capacity law would negatively impact your life in any way?
No. Not mine. I don't currently own any firearms.

But when I did, and I went out shooting regularly, at least a few times a month, bigger magazine capacity was nice because instead of interrupting your target practice and losing focus you could just keep shooting. Loading magazines is tedious, not fun and doesn't help you get better at hitting what you're shooting at.

When I did own guns I was into it. I firmly believed that a person shouldn't own any gun that they were not essentially en expert with, or at least working to become an expert with. I was extremely disciplined when it came to handling and storing firearms. When my personal life started to change, rocky patch in my marriage, and a child that seemed upset/depressed, I was out of work and that's depressing, too, I decided I didn't need guns in the house and I got rid of them. Haven't felt the need to bring them back in even though my situation has improved. But my bad eyesight made shooting a lot less enjoyable for me. I can choose between seeing two front sights or two targets and try to split the difference in my aim.