What's new

TMZ reports that Kobe Bryant passed away.

Awesome job, mods.

The thread reached what, 15 pages, in the Jazz section four years ago without it occurring to anyone that it should go in general, but it takes two pages now.

Awesome job, mods.

The thread reached what, 15 pages, in the Jazz section four years ago without it occurring to anyone that it should go in general, but it takes two pages now.
lol. Who cares, it’s just a thread. Sometimes it’s best to just let it people converse, then let the thread “die”. Other times, 4 years later, after a necrobump, it’s better to move it. Both decisions can be right.

Relax.

I’m sorry if you’re a woman who’s been raped and courageous enough to press charges. I don’t see how you back out.
I’m going to assume the girl was raped, just like you are in this statement, and many others also believe.

Imagine being young, meeting a hero of yours, being invited to be around him, then having things escalate beyond what you expected. Assuming she said or signalled no to Kobe that his intentions were not consensual, and he continues and rapes her. This will ruin a girls mind. Without serious support it takes years and decades for some to recover, if ever tbh.

To have the courage to call out Kobe for raping her, that is huge. Humongous. Probably all she had.

Her identity was leaked to the public… that was mob stuff there. She got death threats and hate mail after that. Her reputation and life is being dragged through the mud. She has already allegedly attempted suicide before.

You are asking for one of the most courageous acts on earth from a young woman who was having a hard time before this trauma stacked on trauma. You want a Herculean valor from her to prove she told the truth? She probably weighed the costs and the odds of some psycho actually killing her and cut the line.

Just like Kobe’s team planned.

You saying you don’t see how she backs out?

I don’t see how she doesn’t.

Here you go, top link got this...

At a Glance
Blaming the victim is an unfortunate yet common phenomenon. It often happens because people make faulty attributions to explain events. But it can also be a way for people to feel safer by assuming that they would never become a victim. Blaming the victim might help protect people's worldview, but it deprives people who have been harmed from the empathy and support that they need.
It's so common and unfortunate. When it's a very minor thing watch how people react.

I live in Ethiopia and have had phones stolen. Whenever I say anything about it happening very few people say what you should say, oh sorry that really sucks or something like that. Usually its giving some sort of what did you do wrong or why didn't you do this or that. It's partially people patting themselves on the back that it didn't happen to them or trying to do what this says of making them feel safer/that it won't happen to them.

Take the rape out of the situation and think about it logically.

If someone hit my car and ran away or some other crime. I have evidence and accuse them. They decide to pay and make a public statement saying they believe that I think they hit my car. Should we all assume they are innocent because it didn't go to court and they got a guilty conviction?

@Jazz Spazz with back to back spot on posts.

And look, i will be completely honest and transparent. When the story came out I thought she was probably just looking for a payday. But that was a piss poor take for me to have.

It's so common and unfortunate. When it's a very minor thing watch how people react.

I live in Ethiopia and have had phones stolen. Whenever I say anything about it happening very few people say what you should say, oh sorry that really sucks or something like that. Usually its giving some sort of what did you do wrong or why didn't you do this or that. It's partially people patting themselves on the back that it didn't happen to them or trying to do what this says of making them feel safer/that it won't happen to them.
Exactly. It's human nature. Unfortunately our nature is often cruel. It's tough to fight our nature in things like this, takes an informed and concerted effort. And even those of us who really try slip now and then.

Last edited:
It's partially people patting themselves on the back that it didn't happen to them or trying to do what this says of making them feel safer/that it won't happen to them.

Not even partially but almost entirely. I often think about a study a decade or so ago done at McGill university that showed that while most people justify their own breaking of traffic laws by various levels of moral necessity, they explain others' by assuming deeper, character flaws. Victim blaming works on the same principle. When bad things happen to me, it's because of things completely outside my control. When bad things happen to others, it's because they somehow caused it.

When bad things happen to me, it's because of things completely outside my control. When bad things happen to others, it's because they somehow caused it.
People who do that drive me crazy, and it isn't the victim blaming that is usually wrong. Most bad things that happen to you are because of actions you took or neglected to take. Hate is a strong word that I am reluctant to use but I do truly hate this victim mentality that has become so pervasive in our society. Stop being a sheep and take some personal responsibility. You have agency.

People who do that drive me crazy, and it isn't the victim blaming that is usually wrong. Most bad things that happen to you are because of actions you took or neglected to take.

No, most bad things happen to you because you weren't lucky enough to be born in a situation where they simply cannot happen to you.

No, most bad things happen to you because you weren't lucky enough to be born in a situation where they simply cannot happen to you.
You were lucky enough to be born as the most intelligent, most adaptable species to walk this planet. You come from a line of winners a million generations deep or you wouldn't be here. From single celled ancestors a billion years ago all the way to your parents, all had adversity to overcome and they did. You aren't here because they were lucky. You are here because they were fighters and they fought and they won enough times to make you possible. Quit whining.

You were lucky enough to be born as the most intelligent, most adaptable species to walk this planet. You come from a line of winners a million generations deep or you wouldn't be here. From single celled ancestors a billion years ago all the way to your parents, all had adversity to overcome and they did. You aren't here because they were lucky. You are here because they were fighters and they fought and they won enough times to make you possible. Quit whining.

I'm a grandson of a Holocaust survivor. You better believe that I'm here because I'm lucky. Unless you figure that the other 6 million didn't survive because they weren't "fighters" or "winners."

Everything, everything about life is about luck.

I'm a grandson of a Holocaust survivor. You better believe that I'm here because I'm lucky.
I think it is shameful to not recognize the resolve it took for your ancestor to make it through. Sorry to hear you've thrown up your hands to let fate do as it will.

I think it is shameful to not recognize the resolve it took for your ancestor to make it through. Sorry to hear you've thrown up your hands to let fate do as it will.

She was 12. It had nothing to do with resolve. Just luck. That her father managed to hid her away. That she wasn't betrayed. That she never ended up in a concentration camp. That she grew up in a predominantly Muslim town so that it didn't take much effort for her to pass as Muslim.

Here's 25 members of her extended family who weren't so lucky. Or was it just that they didn't have the resolve?

You are both right. It takes both hard work and a sizable amount of luck to accomplish any sort of status.
Well, we're on an NBA forum. Is there a single player in the league right now who isn't there because of luck? From genetic lottery to having a father who played in the NBA, to simply being Giannis' brothers. Everyone is here due to tremendous amount of luck.

Oh yeah, I know. It still takes hard work. Maybe, though I've probably worked harder to install a new fan into my computer this morning than Zion has to become an NBA player. We can say the work is 1% and everything else is 99%.

Or look at it this way. Let's imagine a 30 year old with all the physical attributes LeBron James was born with(or even exceeding them) who hasn't made it to the NBA simply because they didn't work hard enough or didn't have the resolve. How many of those would you honestly say exist in the USA right now?

Well, we're on an NBA forum. Is there a single player in the league right now who isn't there because of luck? From genetic lottery to having a father who played in the NBA, to simply being Giannis' brothers. Everyone is here due to tremendous amount of luck.
Agreed.

It still takes hard work. Maybe, though I've probably worked harder to install a new fan into my computer this morning than Zion has to become an NBA player.
Doubtful.

Or look at it this way. Let's imagine a 30 year old with all the physical attributes LeBron James was born with(or even exceeding them) who hasn't made it to the NBA simply because they didn't work hard enough or didn't have the resolve. How many of those would you honestly say exist in the USA right now?
Born with? One or two, at least.

I've probably worked harder to install a new fan into my computer this morning than Zion has to become an NBA player.
You clearly no clue about what it takes to make it to that level. My kid is 11 years old. He's in 5th grade. He has private coaching two weekday mornings per week before going to elementary school, has two hours every day after school during weekdays with his club team, and competes on roughly half of all weekends year round. He's in fifth grade and he'll top 500 hours of professionally coached practice this year in his main sport, and he's been working at his main sport for years already.

To get to the NBA or equivalent requires in the neighborhood of 10,000 hours of coached practice. It is built from years of mornings and nights and weekends and traveling and sacrifice and frustration and pushing limits. Losers are losers because they're lazy. Losers only delude themselves into thinking their losing is due to luck so they can stand looking at themselves in the mirror.