What's new

tomic available... and apparently soft

theNBAnerd

real madrid exercised the team option on tomic's final year, making him a free agent. that means the jazz could finally bring him over without even having to pay any type of buyout.

my excitement about that was dampened only by this hilariously worded critique in marca, which is way funnier if you speak spanish:

"The Croatian center has played on the wire lately. In spite of possessing indubitable talent, Tomic has evidenced a softness that has ended up costing him his spot."

https://www.marca.com/2012/06/25/baloncesto/acb/1340646768.html

funny timing on all that since tomic was important in helping madrid to the ACB finals where they pushed the favorites from FC barcelona to the limit before losing 3-2. he averaged 10.6 points and 7.6 rebounds in the finals -- better than his season averages, which means they could choose to look at it as though he stepped up in big moments and was poised to take a step forward. instead, they cut him.

anyway, he's there for the taking now, and we still have his draft rights.

He would probably want some guaranteed money to come over here.
Doubt he would come over for a tryout.

He would probably want some guaranteed money to come over here.
Doubt he would come over for a tryout.

oh i'm sure he'd want guaranteed money, but as a second-round pick who just got cut by an ACB team, he would know he wasn't going to getting a LOT of guaranteed money.

the smart thing is to offer him a guaranteed first year, team options for years 2 and 3 (so that if he pans out we have bird rights). 3 years 2.5M or something like that. he might get a better offer from some crappy european team, but if the guy wants to come to the NBA, that's the only way it's gonna happen.

oh i'm sure he'd want guaranteed money, but as a second-round pick who just got cut by an ACB team, he would know he wasn't going to getting a LOT of guaranteed money.

the smart thing is to offer him a guaranteed first year, team options for years 2 and 3 (so that if he pans out we have bird rights). 3 years 2.5M or something like that. he might get a better offer from some crappy european team, but if the guy wants to come to the NBA, that's the only way it's gonna happen.

Think that's the case?

Trade Jefferson for the 14th pick and use it (and other assets if needed) to get Marshall.
Bring Tomic over as our 4th big.
Draft Crowder with the 47th pick.

We lose Fat Al, and get our point and small forward.

Ideally though I'd rather trade Jefferson, the GS pick and a future protected 1st for the #5 or 6 to get Lillard.

Trade Jefferson for the 14th pick and use it (and other assets if needed) to get Marshall.
Bring Tomic over as our 4th big.
Draft Crowder with the 47th pick.

We lose Fat Al, and get our point and small forward.

Ideally though I'd rather trade Jefferson, the GS pick and a future protected 1st for the #5 or 6 to get Lillard.

I think I like your first option better.

I think I like your first option better.

Honestly, my gut tells me if we did move up to #6, I'd truly hope to get MKG more than anyone else. He's who I've wanted. Who I've always wanted. Guys with that defense and leadership come around once every 20 years. Add in the fact that he can get to and finish at the rim like no other and he'd be a steal at #6.

Honestly, my gut tells me if we did move up to #6, I'd truly hope to get MKG more than anyone else. He's who I've wanted. Who I've always wanted. Guys with that defense and leadership come around once every 20 years. Add in the fact that he can get to and finish at the rim like no other and he'd be a steal at #6.

First Cryrone, now you... if it didn't take DrunkFanz six months to catch up...

Welcome to the MKG bandwagon, bro.

PKM is on my lap too now, eh? I seem to remember him saying a few things about Barnes. All the lush posters came to the same conclusion then... hmmmm...