What's new

Tomic's Post Play

The Midnight

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
Thought I'd share this: www.nbaplaybook.com did an analysis of Post positioning with some examples of Tomic's post plays during the USA match.

https://nbaplaybook.com/2010/08/30/...nd-why-players-should-fight-for-it/#more-5057

Some promising skills on display but still some ways away from contributing in a big way in the NBA in my (humble) opinion..

*EDIT*

Just uploaded a video highlight of Tomic's game against Slovenia ... hard to watch as he only scored 4 pts and fouled out 8 minutes before the end of the game.. struggled to get many rebounds as well... anyway here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAO88PcXMuQ

Last edited:
I missed the 1st quarter of the U.S. game when apparently Tomic played his best. What I did see was very unimpressive. He just waved his arm trying to get a pass inside. Held the ball very low a couple of times and got pushed right out of the way on rebounds.

I think he may have better trade value than as a front-line center for the Jazz. He certinly ain't ready to compete against the likes of Pau Gasol.

He is no definately Pau Gasol. He is also not anywhere near being Marc Gasol. He just played 23 minutes at the World Championship before fouling out and finished with 4 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal and 3 turnovers on 1/5 shooting against Slovenia where he was being guarded by NBA legends Primoz Brezec (Milwaukee Bucks) and Uros Slokar (Formerly of the Toronto Raptors where he averaged 1.9 points).

He is no definately Pau Gasol. He is also not anywhere near being Marc Gasol. He just played 23 minutes at the World Championship before fouling out and finished with 4 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal and 3 turnovers on 1/5 shooting against Slovenia where he was being guarded by NBA legends Primoz Brezec (Milwaukee Bucks) and Uros Slokar (Formerly of the Toronto Raptors where he averaged 1.9 points).

Yeah, he had a terrible game. But I remember a few months ago when he absolutely made Tiago Splitter of the Spurs his bitch. He's no Gasol, but he's no Fesenko either, and I mean that in a good way. Dude has game and potential.

Yeah, he had a terrible game. But I remember a few months ago when he absolutely made Tiago Splitter of the Spurs his bitch. He's no Gasol, but he's no Fesenko either, and I mean that in a good way. Dude has game and potential.

Yes he has his moments. He also needs to put on weight, get much much more stronger, improve his balance and also get wider shoulders (I don't know if that is possible) because I understand he can't wear overalls.

also get wider shoulders (I don't know if that is possible) because I understand he can't wear overalls.
True he doesn't have broad shoulders not much can be done about that. Overalls? really it is just good fashion sense to not wear overalls unless your remaking a early 90's music video or doing a "In Living Color" TV tribute. But whatever that's his prerogative.

I missed the 1st quarter of the U.S. game when apparently Tomic played his best. What I did see was very unimpressive. He just waved his arm trying to get a pass inside. Held the ball very low a couple of times and got pushed right out of the way on rebounds.

I think he may have better trade value than as a front-line center for the Jazz. He certinly ain't ready to compete against the likes of Pau Gasol.

You really should watch the whole game that before you come on here and say he's not this or that.
The commentators on ESPN were raving about him. Those of us who watched the whole game saw a lot of promise.
He blocked Durant twice, scored down low, RB. He's not 100% right now, and that was the first game of the tourny against the best team.

He's got a ways to go, but he's very skilled, 7'2, and played a good game (too bad you missed a lot of it).

I watched the entire game last night. I see some promise in this guy. He's got some nice skill to his offensive game, he uses his height well to shoot over smaller players, he has a good passing ability for his size. You can't teach size and he uses his size pretty well at times. But I also can't ignore the negatives, he turned the ball over way too many times, he set a couple illegal screens(some weren't called, cause it's FIBA), he get's pushed away too easily from the basket. You want him to play like a true 7 footer but that's not his game right now, he's too soft. But get him over here and have him work on these and he has potential to turn into a solid NBA center.

Europeans are known for not lifting weights as much as American players. I think our strength coaches could pretty quickly add some muscle. However, I guess the question for next year is what is his buyout? I have seen different numbers including as high as around 5 million or more. Considering we can only pay 500,000 we may not see him next year.

Last two games:
6/10 for 12 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 turnovers vs. Iran
1/5(2/6 ft) for 4 points, 3 rebounds, 3 turnovers vs. Slovenia

next game for Croatia is on Wednesday vs Tunisia

KOC has no intention of trying to bring him over this year. Ideally he will gain another 10 pounds next year and be a real force when he comes over in 2012.

You really should watch the whole game that before you come on here and say he's not this or that.
The commentators on ESPN were raving about him. Those of us who watched the whole game saw a lot of promise.
He blocked Durant twice, scored down low, RB. He's not 100% right now, and that was the first game of the tourny against the best team.

He's got a ways to go, but he's very skilled, 7'2, and played a good game (too bad you missed a lot of it).

Well, I watched 75% of it, missing the 1st quarter. So he was a factor for 25% of the game. Sorry I'm not drinking the kool aid on this guy. I have doubts he'll EVER be a factor in the NBA. Personally I think he's closer to Radojevic or Koufos than he is to either of the Gasols. I hope I'm wrong.

I saw the game today with Splitter and he impressed me a lot. He has a good post game and if it wasn't for foul trouble could have done some serious damage.

If you talk without any experience watching Euroleague or ACB and you dare to talk about how worthless or bad Tomic is you have absolutely no idea how things work, how a young players develops into a professional athlete. You know what? It's a LONG PROCESS. Even Gasol, who I have watched for years, did not suddenly become the focal point of Spain etc.

FACT: Ante Tomic is MORE talented than Fesenko, Koufos, many of centers ,who are considered "promising" players. There is no player in my mind ,near the age of Tomic, that reminds me of a young Gasol or Nowitzki. Of course, it does not mean that Tomic will be as terrific as Gasol or Nowitzki. However, considering his age and the talent that he has, it's really weird to bash him for a couple of badly performed games.

I really like the kid. My problem with him, and Millsap, and Jefferson, and Okur is that they aren't a defensive presence at the 5. We already have enough 4's. And yes, I know what his height is but he doesn't play big. If this kid played any 5, it'd be off the bench with Millsap there at the 4 to clean up the boards this kid didn't, excuse me couldn't, get.

I got a chance to watch his game vs. Slovenia which he struggled through, however he did make a couple nice offensive moves and got to the foul line a couple times, but a problem with him is that some of his shots are too far from the basket, he definitely needs to work on getting good post position, he has the offensive skill to score once he get's the ball down on the post, but the question is can he establish his position first. He would make it a lot easier on himself if he worked on that and part of it is getting stronger, get this kid in the weight room.