What's new

Top Teams Pulling Stars vs Jazz

BabyPeterzz

Contributor
Are we starting to see a trend? Phili pulled Embiid last minute the other night, now the Clips are pulling PG and possibly Kwahi.

Are the top teams avoiding giving the Jazz coaching staff a look at potential playoff matchup and schemes? Are they trying to throw off Quin's game planning and forcing him to adjust at game time? Are they scared of being embarrassed (knowing PG probs)? Hell, I'll bet Lebron sits vs the Jazz.

Kinda blows cause I want to see the Jazz **** on these teams at full strength.

What do you guys think?

If a team is planning to rest a player for load management or because they have some nagging injury, they might choose to do it against the Jazz if they think the chance of winning is better against another team. The logic with the Clippers might be that Paul George and Nic Batum are already out tonight, so they conclude that resting Kawhi is more worthwhile than playing him in a game where the Jazz are already favored to win.

Another thing they can do is make whether a player plays a "game-time decision," so the Jazz don't know what to plan for in their morning shoot-around. Kawhi still might play tonight.

Also, the Spurs used to hold out key players against rival teams so that the rival team can't get any film or game experience against the Spurs before the playoffs.

They'd be stupid to as playoff seeding will - like most seasons - come down to the wire. I don't think any team will be tanking to hide strategy unless they know the loss won't impact their playoff seed (and of course that can't be determined until the end of the season).

If a team is planning to rest a player for load management or because they have some nagging injury, they might choose to do it against the Jazz if they think the chance of winning is better against another team. The logic with the Clippers might be that Paul George and Nic Batum are already out tonight, so they conclude that resting Kawhi is more worthwhile than playing him in a game where the Jazz are already favored to win.

Another thing they can do is make whether a player plays a "game-time decision," so the Jazz don't know what to plan for in their morning shoot-around. Kawhi still might play tonight.

Also, the Spurs used to hold out key players against rival teams so that the rival team can't get any film or game experience against the Spurs before the playoffs.
This sounds most likely. I know the Spurs tactic, and I figure there's some of that in there.

With having to rest players, resting for the Jazz makes sense, as long as you're willing to take the loss. Still, that says something. At worst, we're a pain in the ***. At best, we're an auto-L on the calendar.

I do think it gives a psychological advantage to the team that holds players out. If they happen to win while not being full strength, then they get to bolster the next meeting with reinforcements.

It is difficult to know for sure with teams like the LA teams, though. They have players with some long term health concerns.

This sounds most likely. I know the Spurs tactic, and I figure there's some of that in there.

With having to rest players, resting for the Jazz makes sense, as long as you're willing to take the loss. Still, that says something. At worst, we're a pain in the ***. At best, we're an auto-L on the calendar.
Yep, it is a schedule loss.

I think we shouldn't read to much into it. Those teams simply prioritize the health of their stars knowing that they will make the playoffs anyway. Also Clippers won their last game against the Miami without PG and Kawhi, Brooklyn beat the Suns without Kyrie and KD yesterday so we still have to give full effort.

Paul George's injury is fairly serious. Not that it is life threatening, but his big toe has swelling in the bone. For normal people that can take months of rest to fix. For a pro athlete, they might have more options.

I'd expect more of an AD timeline than a day to day type thing. Remember the toe garbage we went through with George Hill.