What's new

Toronto stops Lakers 7 game winning streak

Release the Kraken

Without Lowry and without Ibaka, pretty impressive! Raptors had over thirty fast break points last night (average over 23, highest in the league). The Laker's had a seven game win streak going, best in nine seasons, because they're skilled, strong and gargantuan IMO. They made us look like dog meat (third game in though - Conley in a slump and Bogdanovic MIA).

With everybody playing small ball, the Lakers have added nothing but muscle and height and adapted a new style of bully ball. I guess I see the Lakers as the team to beat and I don't see us prevailing if we just get into a battle of half-court sets. We're only averaging less than 12 fast break points a game this year and we're known as a slow playing team traditionally. Can we improve in this capacity? Do you agree with my assessment?

Without Lowry and without Ibaka, pretty impressive! Raptors had over thirty fast break points last night (average over 23, highest in the league). The Laker's had a seven game win streak going, best in nine seasons, because they're skilled, strong and gargantuan IMO. They made us look like dog meat (third game in though - Conley in a slump and Bogdanovic MIA).

With everybody playing small ball, the Lakers have added nothing but muscle and height and adapted a new style of bully ball. I guess I see the Lakers as the team to beat and I don't see us prevailing if we just get into a battle of half-court sets. We're only averaging less than 12 fast break points a game this year and we're known as a slow playing team traditionally. Can we improve in this capacity? Do you agree with my assessment?
I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but I don't see the Jazz as a fast break kind of team that wins games that way. If you think that's the only way we could defeat the Lakers then I don't think that's a good thing for the Jazz. Quinn is a thinker. He develops complicated schemes and plays with multiple layers and options. That kind of coach isn't the same as a coach that develops a game plan around fast breaks. I mean no coach is really that kind of coach because there's nothing to think about. You get a turnover or rebound and try to beat the the defense to the other side of the court. I know there are "run and gun" coaches, but they don't have to gameplan around what to do on a fastbreak, players just go for it and see what happens.

Your assessment of the Jazz vs Lakers game this season is not accurate. They did not make us look like dog meat. We shot better than them from the field and from 3 in that game. Our defense gave them all kinds of problems. They only managed to shoot 39.5% from the field AT HOME. The only reason that they won that game was that we turned it over 23 times which led to them taking 86 field goal attempts to our 70. And most of the turnovers were due mistakes on our end moreso than their defense doing things right. If we would have taken care of the ball we would have won that game despite not having Bogey and Conley playing poorly.

The thing with Lakers' early succes is that it's easy to add the player like AD to the team (the same goes for Kawhi). You just give him a ball and that's it. They have two great iso players. So I think they reached their full potential pretty quickly while Jazz are still in the learning phase. Our game against them doesn't mean yet anything because we played without Boyan and like a poo. They are good but they don't scare me like Clippers when they will be with Paul George.

Lakers fans are like, “im not longer a kuzma fan”

giphy.gif

Your assessment of the Jazz vs Lakers game this season is not accurate. They did not make us look like dog meat. We shot better than them from the field and from 3 in that game. Our defense gave them all kinds of problems. They only managed to shoot 39.5% from the field AT HOME. The only reason that they won that game was that we turned it over 23 times which led to them taking 86 field goal attempts to our 70. And most of the turnovers were due mistakes on our end moreso than their defense doing things right. If we would have taken care of the ball we would have won that game despite not having Bogey and Conley playing poorly.
I agree with most of this, but Danny Green and Avery Bradley forced a lot of our mistakes. They were fantastically disruptive in that game. Their defense is much better than I anticipated it would be.

Last edited:
The Lakers have had a pretty easy schedule. And a massively easy schedule in terms of travel. And with no back-to-backs. Things will get more complicated for them.... especially when Davis sits for a few games because of toenail problems.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but I don't see the Jazz as a fast break kind of team that wins games that way. If you think that's the only way we could defeat the Lakers then I don't think that's a good thing for the Jazz. Quinn is a thinker. He develops complicated schemes and plays with multiple layers and options. That kind of coach isn't the same as a coach that develops a game plan around fast breaks. I mean no coach is really that kind of coach because there's nothing to think about. You get a turnover or rebound and try to beat the the defense to the other side of the court. I know there are "run and gun" coaches, but they don't have to gameplan around what to do on a fastbreak, players just go for it and see what happens.

I see what you're saying about game-planning but you still have to make some kind of preparation for those opportunities and some teams are just better at it than others. Maybe it has more to do with the type of players you have on your team as well. I think Nick Nurse is just a phenomenal coach when you look at how Toronto upset the Warriors and still hasn't lost a beat after losing Leonard and Green. That team has a small starting backcourt as do we, but probably has more athleticism overall to compensate and create those fast break opportunities.

But as NAOS said above, players like Danny Green and Avery Bradley did a lot to disrupt our offense. That Lakers' squad is really well put together IMO with rim protectors and good on the ball defenders, and they are strong and intimidating as well. I don't think you're giving them enough credit on the defensive end.

Last edited:
The thing with Lakers' early succes is that it's easy to add the player like AD to the team (the same goes for Kawhi). You just give him a ball and that's it. They have two great iso players. So I think they reached their full potential pretty quickly while Jazz are still in the learning phase. Our game against them doesn't mean yet anything because we played without Boyan and like a poo. They are good but they don't scare me like Clippers when they will be with Paul George.

Well it's hard to argue with that line of reasoning - regarding early success. Doesn't mean they can't still improve though - which is a scary thought.

I have the Lakers ahead of the Clippers. Clippers play some really pesky in your face defense, but their offense can sputter. And I just don't see gimpy Paul George being the same kind of factor for the Clips as AD is for the Lakers.

The Lakers have had a pretty easy schedule. And a massively easy schedule in terms of travel. And with no back-to-backs. Things will get more complicated for them.... especially when Davis sits for a few games because of toenail problems.

I hope you're right.

Well it's hard to argue with that line of reasoning - regarding early success. Doesn't mean they can't still improve though - which is a scary thought.

I have the Lakers ahead of the Clippers. Clippers play some really pesky in your face defense, but their offense can sputter. And I just don't see gimpy Paul George being the same kind of factor for the Clips as AD is for the Lakers.

Of course I agree that AD plus Lebron > Kawhi plus PG. I just mean that if you look at the rest of the rosters than Clippers are much deeper imo. They play already very good and they still don't have healthy Paul George.

Of course I agree that AD plus Lebron > Kawhi plus PG. I just mean that if you look at the rest of the rosters than Clippers are much deeper imo. They play already very good and they still don't have healthy Paul George.

Well they do have the one win over them to support your argument, I'll give you that. Somebody should do a thread on scariest teams for the Jazz to meet in the Western Conference playoffs. For me, I just feel like that team is the Lakers.

Kuzma is pretty turd on defense
true and when he was saying " that we are the best defensive team in a league" it made me laugh. They may allow least amount of pts for now ( it will change soon) but it is certainly not because of Kuzma.