What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

Good to see this. My concern is that if this interaction hadn't been recorded, would the officer(s) have been arrested? Officers need to hold each other accountable, and the legal system needs to stop taking it easy on police officers who break the law.
You don't have to wonder... without video it would not have happened. But the video is evidence, so it makes sense in a way. If they had controlled the video and not the public it most likely would have been ignored.

It sucks that people have to get crazy to get a response... those businesses and the other people that get hurt aren't the problem. There are no winners in this stuff, but the country has to change if we want to avoid this lose-lose game.

You don't have to wonder... without video it would not have happened. But the video is evidence, so it makes sense in a way. If they had controlled the video and not the public it most likely would have been ignored.

Every officer should be required to have a body cam on at all times, and any interactions that involve discharging a firearm, injury, or death, should require releasing body cam video to the media within 24 hours.

That's a really good call about social media. I actually audit some law enforcement grant programs, and they are required to get background checks at least every 5 years. I've never seen any of the background checks involve social media review, which is a great idea.

Seems pretty common sense. And five years is way too long. Have someone on staff whose job it is to monitor the pages daily.

When you've tried everything else, what's the alternative? They put their trust in law enforcement, and look at what it got them. A prosecutor who's clearly dragging his feet, law enforcement using tear gas at innocent protesters, a president hoping to stoke white backlash, etc.
I agree and I don't know what should be done. I just don't think setting **** on fire and looting target is the answer.
I don't know what the answer is though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree with the sentiment. The job needs to be made more attractive......but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I don' think they all need college degrees, but a more robust, thorough training program is absolutely a must. Considering the danger police officers face, the pay should definitely increase. At the very least it would allow for departments to be more selective in who they hire. I don't know what type of psychological test they go through, but that obviously needs to be improved. If you show a potential or likelihood to treat people differently based on their race or ethnicity, during stressful situations, you are clearly not fit to enforce the law. Body cams should obviously be mandatory 100% of the time. Also, why are not more police departments representative of the populations they serve?

Another problem is the type of people that are drawn to being a police officer because of the power that we give them. I've had interactions with too many police officers that are high on a power-trip. They are public servants, not a sheriff in the Old West. We give them too much power, and too often fail to hold them accountable.

I like a lot of what you say here.

I think:

Pay
Training
Benefits/Time

The job sucks. So I'd be fine paying law enforcement more than usual for less actual work time. Their job is so stressful, why not pay them full time for 30 or 35 hours?
When "stuff happens" why not make it mandatory that a 3rd party investigate the police? The internal investigations are like trusting the fox to guard the henhouse.

I threw the college degrees part into it because I believe attracting better educated people who most likely have more experience dealing with different views and people would go a long way to helping to establish positive relationships with communities. All too often I've found that law enforcement officers are people who haven't grown much intellectually (they stopped their education at high school) and have never left their hometowns. I understand that not everyone with a degree is smart and open minded nor are all people with just HS Diplomas are dumb (some are extremely talented and smart) but the idea is to raise the standard. Again, all too often I've found that law enforcement officers are just bullies and adrenaline junkies who couldn't get jobs doing anything else.

I can't think of any other profession so morally corrupt that they always, and I mean always, defend their own as the first reaction. It doesn't matter what happens, the first instinct of the police seems to be to lie and rally around each other. It's ridiculous. These imbeciles saw bystanders filming, knew damn well what had happened, knew the evidence would come out so quickly, and still the first statement made by the police said that Floyd "physically resisted" arrest. And it infuriates me because I know, and we know, and everybody knows that the police department was aware of that being a lie. They knowingly and willingly put a lie out there for the sole reason of protecting their murderous colleagues. How is it possible not only for this kind of culture to exist in law enforcement, but to absolutely dominate it?
When I was ****ing 17 years old one of the cops that patrolled my high school slammed me up against a wall which cause my head to bleed. This is while my hands were behind my back and I was cooperating with him 100%. Why was I being cuffed? For mooning a classmate in a mostly empty hallway. I deserved punishment but it wasn't necessary for him to slam me into a wall while I was cooperating with my hands behind my back. He just wanted to be a tough guy.
Oh and he left me cuffed in the principal's office with my pants still down while he went to get the principal. I asked if I could pull my pants up while he was taking me down the hall and he said no. (I was able to get them up after he left the room even though I was still cuffed). Luckily my underwear were pulled up at least lol.

Good to see this. My concern is that if this interaction hadn't been recorded, would the officer(s) have been arrested? Officers need to hold each other accountable, and the legal system needs to stop taking it easy on police officers who break the law.

It barely happened with video evidence. And at least for now, justice has yet to be served. We still have a long ways to go.

When I was ****ing 17 years old one of the cops that patrolled my high school slammed me up against a wall which cause my head to bleed. This is while my hands were behind my back and I was cooperating with him 100%. Why was I being cuffed? For mooning a classmate in a mostly empty hallway. I deserved punishment but it wasn't necessary for him to slam me into a wall while I was cooperating with my hands behind my back. He just wanted to be a tough guy.
Oh and he left me cuffed in the principal's office with my pants still down while he went to get the principal. I asked if I could pull my pants up while he was taking me down the hall and he said no. (I was able to get them up after he left the room even though I was still cuffed). Luckily my underwear were pulled up at least lol.

This has been my overwhelming experience as well. I've had a few experiences with cops being really awesome and working to de-escalate the situation. But when they do, it's rare and it's surprising. Usually they swat flies with bazookas. I think it starts with who they're hiring (bullies who can't get jobs anywhere else), training (funding), and accountability (what recourse would you have had?)

Failed Country/World
One of the biggest reasons I am so anti trump is because I don't like people to behave like assholes/douchebags/bullies/etc and be rewarded for that behavior. And I don't want people to emulate that behavior. The president SHOULD be someone who the country CAN look to for how to behave imo. Trump behaves worse than most of us and I think it has an effect on the rest of the country.

One of the biggest reasons I am so anti trump is because I don't like people to behave like assholes/douchebags/bullies/etc and be rewarded for that behavior. And I don't want people to emulate that behavior. The president SHOULD be someone who the country CAN look to for how to behave imo. Trump behaves worse than most of us and I think it has an effect on the rest of the country.

Well said. I completely agree.

TI think it starts with who they're hiring (bullies who can't get jobs anywhere else), training (funding), and accountability (what recourse would you have had?)

Funding is not the issue with training, choices are. I've seen far too many videos of trainers who encourage a treating other civilians as if they were the enemy.

As upset as I get at police procedures and tactics, it's hard to blame the individuals who are trained to be bullies.

Very good point.

Funding is not the issue with training, choices are. I've seen far too many videos of trainers who encourage a treating other civilians as if they were the enemy.

As upset as I get at police procedures and tactics, it's hard to blame the individuals who are trained to be bullies.

I'd be interested to know what kind of money is devoted to researching the same tactics from around the world on how policing? How much training annually do police officers get? I think the content obviously needs to be updated if police are watching videos of trainers training them to treat civilians as the enemy.

I agree and I don't know what should be done. I just don't think setting **** on fire and looting target is the answer.
I don't know what the answer is though.

One one hand I agree with you. But on the other, I think this helps bring attention to the issue. I think it typically backfires on protesters. However, given blatant murder, the climate of the country (so tired of racism and police brutality), and Trump calling for law enforcement to shoot protesters, I think this might have a chance to actually force change.

my thing is I’ve always had positive experiences. Got pulled over in high school for going 35 in a 25 headed back from lunch. Officer asked us a few questions... then said “look we all make mistakes... you and everyone in your car are wearing seat belts... don’t be such a dumbass in a hurry that you go too fast and keep wearing your seatbelts...” then he let us go without a warning.

Another experience being pulled behind my buddy’s car from a rope on a skateboard... was residential and no traffic... but cop sees us and stops us... just looks at us like man you guys are dumb... says he’s never arrested/ticketed anyone for this and tells us to stop and laughs and let’s us go our way.

Naive me thinks all cops are like this... serving the public and not bullying people... now I think... well I was also a clean cut white kid... what if I had been black?