What's new

Trade Conley/Olynyk

This Sexton hype is comic.

Jazz have lost all the games where Sexton (according to some..) has played brilliantly.

Does that not say anything to these Sexton fans, including Bailey..
Lol. We beat denver by a bunch when Sexton played brilliantly. Good troll post though.

Due to your former allegiance to the dark side (Proud Boys…err I mean Tank Wankers) I’m obviously a tad suspicious of your motives. Conley I get, he’s old and got one foot out the door already. Anyway, anybody with any brains can see that Sexton is ready for a bigger role on this team. But Olynyk regularly does things that Kessler could only dream of such as playmaking, perimeter D and three point shooting. You do realize that he’s shooting a whopping 47% from three right? Don’t ding him because he can’t keep Ayton off the boards on the back end of back to back. Ayton is one of the most physical and athletic big men in the league.
The 47% is Fantastic! The three attempts per game isn't though. (he makes 1.5 threes per game. If i were defending the jazz I wouldn't worry all that much that KO is going to kill us with his 4.5 points per game he gets from the 3 point line)
And his perimeter defense is not good.

He is also a starting 7 foot center who averages 4.8 rebounds per game. Also averages too many turnovers and way too many fouls. His 3 assists per game is pretty good and his scoring is ok but he has so many HUGE team killing deficiencies.

This Sexton hype is comic.

Jazz have lost all the games where Sexton (according to some..) has played brilliantly.

Does that not say anything to these Sexton fans, including Bailey..
There is no hype. No one here thinks Sexton is the next big thing. I dont even see anyone saying he is definitely a starter.

However there is a lot of very strong hate for the guy and people trying to defend the guy.

Hardy wouldnt be much of a coach if he said: "Danny, I know we got this 23 yo 16M guy at the bench but I dont want to try and develop him because he was not winning in Cleveland."

Thats the haters argument as to what he should do (after all, he is untradeable according to them). Most in here disagree though.

There is no hype. No one here thinks Sexton is the next big thing. I dont even see anyone saying he is definitely a starter.

However there is a lot of very strong hate for the guy and people trying to defend the guy.

Hardy wouldnt be much of a coach if he said: "Danny, I know we got this 23 yo 16M guy at the bench but I dont want to try and develop him because he was not winning in Cleveland."

Thats the haters argument as to what he should do (after all, he is untradeable according to them). Most in here disagree though.
Really good post.

The 47% is Fantastic! The three attempts per game isn't though. (he makes 1.5 threes per game. If i were defending the jazz I wouldn't worry all that much that KO is going to kill us with his 4.5 points per game he gets from the 3 point line)
And his perimeter defense is not good.

He is also a starting 7 foot center who averages 4.8 rebounds per game. Also averages too many turnovers and way too many fouls. His 3 assists per game is pretty good and his scoring is ok but he has so many HUGE team killing deficiencies.
Well he definitely needs to take more threes, that much is a given. I disagree about the team killing deficiencies however. I mean he is a stretch five after all so his rebounding opportunities are going to be limited. Actually he’s a lot more than just a stretch five as he does a lot of playmaking. He’s a bit of a unicorn in that way. Replacing him directly with Kessler who is more of a traditional five as a starter would entail that we completely overhaul our offense and finding a stretch five that does everything that Olynyk does would be nearly impossible and totally impossible in his price range. Lets compare him to two other seven foot stretch players for comparison, Porzingis and KAT (both much higher paid):

Criteria used was this season only.
Per 36 minutes: Olynyk beats Porzingis in FG%, 2pt FG% and 3pt FG%, 554 to 459, 607 to 522 and 471 to 355. And also in FT% at 806 to 794 - so he beats him in every shooting category. Porzingis beats Olynyk in rebounding, blocks and turnovers, 9.5 to 6.2, 1.7 to .8 and 2.1 to 2.8. Olynyk beats Porzingis in assists and steals, 4.0 to 2.9 and 1.6 to .8. Olynyk commits more fouls 5.3 to 3.8. Porzingis has a higher scoring average 22.9 ppg to 16.3 ppg.

Per 36 minutes: Olynyk beats KAT in FG% and 3 pt FG%, 554 to 508 and 471 to 328. KAT beats Olynyk in 2pt FG% and FT% at 624 to 607 and 898 to 806. KAT beats Olynyk in rebounding and assists, 8.9 to 6.2 and 5.6 to 4.0. Olynyk beats KAT in steals, blocks and turnovers, 1.6 to .8, .8 to .7 and 2.8 TOV to 3.2. Olynyk commits more fouls, 5.3 to 4.1. KAT has a higher scoring average, 22.4 ppg to 16.3

Seems like he stacks up pretty well as a starting stretch seven footer to me.

Last edited:
I want to see more Sexton and Kessler minutes. We should absolutely be looking to trade both Conley and Olynyk. Let’s discuss some potential deals that could be out there for both.
You and me seeing eye to eye doesn’t seem right, but I agree. KO is a useful player but I’m getting sick of how bad he is defensively and at times kills this team, and also sooooo sick of seeing a confused and bewildered look on his face as if he’s a victim everytime he’s called for a foul, but who knows, maybe it’s just gas?
I was thinking KO, vando and a pick to the warriors for Wiseman and kuminga.
Not giving a pick. Lmao
I think nearly everyone has a market outside of Conley, and I'm sure you CAN trade Conley, but you are probably taking back a worse contract.
We can do that, we’re rebuilding so it shouldn’t matter much, teams will look past the contract because he can play and help teams win and be better team.

Tim MacMahon was on ESPN700 today. He said he gets the sense that there is a lot more interest around the league in Conley now than there was over the summer, said there's also a lot of interest in Clarkson but he's not sure the Jazz want to move him. He also brought up a hypothetical idea that has been discussed on this board of Olynyk for James Wiseman.

Tim MacMahon was on ESPN700 today. He said he gets the sense that there is a lot more interest around the league in Conley now than there was over the summer, said there's also a lot of interest in Clarkson but he's not sure the Jazz want to move him. He also brought up a hypothetical idea that has been discussed on this board of Olynyk for James Wiseman.

interesting That'd help our tank like nothing else

Yes to all the getting traded. Clarkson should be the priority though.

I'm also pro trying to win as much as possible.

Can't make sense of this. Clarkson definitely opts out at the end of the season meaning we then have to pay him to keep him. He is 30 and likely to get worse over the course of his next contract. The time to cash in is now should we go the tank route.

Can't make sense of this. Clarkson definitely opts out at the end of the season meaning we then have to pay him to keep him. He is 30 and likely to get worse over the course of his next contract. The time to cash in is now should we go the tank route.
I think Ryan Smith just really, really likes him. Smith obviously cares about the team, but owners affecting GM decisions has never been a good thing.

I would do a Conley for Hardaway Jr swap. His contract is front loaded and goes down the next two years. Will look like an extremely good contract in 2 years. I would bet the Mavericks would do that.

I would do a Conley for Hardaway Jr swap. His contract is front loaded and goes down the next two years. Will look like an extremely good contract in 2 years. I would bet the Mavericks would do that.
I'd want some extra incentive. Not sure how married Mavs are to Hardy but he is tearing up the G League.

I'd want some extra incentive. Not sure how married Mavs are to Hardy but he is tearing up the G League.

I would like something extra too but don’t think it’s absolutely needed. Doubt they’d add Josh Green or Jalen Hardy but you never know. Guess what? We’d also save 3M this year and you know Ryan likes that.

I think Ryan Smith just really, really likes him. Smith obviously cares about the team, but owners affecting GM decisions has never been a good thing.
Ryan also supposedly wasn’t going to trade Donovan to make him the “mayor of SLC“ for the All-Star game… so I wouldn’t assume that he is 100% against trading anyone

Olynyk for Wiseman. Well that would certainly hurt us this season because the current James Wiseman is in the G league.

If he could ever be developed he's exactly the type of big athletic C archetype we could use in future years to keep from constantly getting pounded on the boards every night. Ofc I'm sure the Warriors thought the same before they stupidly made him the 2nd pick.

I'm on the fence. Ainge would need to do alot of serious character investigation on Wiseman before pulling the trigger. It's very possible they just end up grabbing a big athlete in this draft to fill the role.

Ryan also supposedly wasn’t going to trade Donovan to make him the “mayor of SLC“ for the All-Star game… so I wouldn’t assume that he is 100% against trading anyone
I think his hands were tied with DM. Trading him likely wasnt plan A or B, but rather something that was forced upon us since Don wanted to win now and we couldnt retool around him.