What's new

Trade deadline discussion

It sounds confusing. He had a rating system when you came up with your system. But he renamed it to PAAC so he might have stolen it. A few million needs come up with rating systems. He at least compares it against the current year average. So a PAAc rating of 2 the previous would actually be a -4 if the entire league on average got better. This stat is more than just TS%.

He had his Locke Offensive Rating, which was not renamed to PAAC. It was different. I'm not trying to pretend to be a genius by the way, PAAC is very basic stuff. I was just the one who happened to mention it to him.

It's so simplistic and narrow focused it really shouldn't be called a rating system. The way he throws it around is major disservice to the actual analytic models that have been built. Nothing is wrong with the number itself, but Locke is a text book example of someone who does poor analysis and uses things incorrectly.

Fun fact, Locke's new "PAAC" rating was stolen from me when I was in high school and he was still using something called "Locke Offensive Rating". I can never prove this, but who cares. His rating is basically TS%....Locke is easily one of the worst representatives for sports analytics out there.
I feel ya... in high school the spice girls stole their hit single “Wanabe” from me.

KqWIN also thought of the Locked On Podcast Network. Give me a break. You decide to reveal this on a "Trade deadline discussion" thread? Slander is illegal btw.

Not entirely relevant here, but the Clippers are just inches away from dropping to the 6th seed. Not sure what's going on over there.

He had his Locke Offensive Rating, which was not renamed to PAAC. It was different. I'm not trying to pretend to be a genius by the way, PAAC is very basic stuff. I was just the one who happened to mention it to him.

It's so simplistic and narrow focused it really shouldn't be called a rating system. The way he throws it around is major disservice to the actual analytic models that have been built. Nothing is wrong with the number itself, but Locke is a text book example of someone who does poor analysis and uses things incorrectly.
So that stat he stole is pretty horrible?

I think if the stat is really yours then your should at least hit the bulls eye about all the characteristics of the stat. You missed one of the key elements of the stat. It is the difference against the SUM average against the entire league for a given moment in time
It is clearly his stat not yours.

I think if the stat is really yours then your should at least hit the bulls eye about all the characteristics of the stat. You missed one of the key elements of the stat. It is the difference against the SUM average against the entire league for a given moment in time
Okay fine the song I wrote was similar to but not exactly like wanabe... it does not mean the spice girls didn’t steal it from me though.

No I knew that and like I said there’s nothing wrong with the star itself. It’s the way he uses it. Any way you slice it, it’s true shooting and volume. He’s I know he compares TS% to current league average TS%. It’s not some crazy thing. People have been doing this forever. He’s just the first one to think it’s the holy grail.

If you think PAAC is everything, you there’s zero interaction between the players and the only value comes from the shots you take. No consideration is taken for anything other than the shot itself.

The idea of using that to asses total offensive value like Locke does is crazy. The fact that he protects it like it’s some big secret is hilarious. PAAC is not even something worth stealing. He treats it like the golden standard of numbers and it’s cringe when he cites it as the real deal on national podcasts and interviews. It’s also funny when it comes time to mention Mitchell’s PAAC because he has never been a positive.

But look, I’m not going to ruin your fun. If you believe that comparing TS% to league average and then factoring in volume is the cutting edge for sports analytics...more power to ya. For those people, I’ve got a special secret. Take the TS add on bball-ref and decide it by games. It will blow your mind.

No I knew that and like I said there’s nothing wrong with the star itself. It’s the way he uses it. Any way you slice it, it’s true shooting and volume. He’s I know he compares TS% to current league average TS%. It’s not some crazy thing. People have been doing this forever. He’s just the first one to think it’s the holy grail.

If you think PAAC is everything, you there’s zero interaction between the players and the only value comes from the shots you take. No consideration is taken for anything other than the shot itself.

The idea of using that to asses total offensive value like Locke does is crazy. The fact that he protects it like it’s some big secret is hilarious. PAAC is not even something worth stealing. He treats it like the golden standard of numbers and it’s cringe when he cites it as the real deal on national podcasts and interviews. It’s also funny when it comes time to mention Mitchell’s PAAC because he has never been a positive.

But look, I’m not going to ruin your fun. If you believe that comparing TS% to league average and then factoring in volume is the cutting edge for sports analytics...more power to ya. For those people, I’ve got a special secret. Take the TS add on bball-ref and decide it by games. It will blow your mind.

Okey dokey. I don't see any strong argument here it was stolen from you, just that the approach is very common which undermines your original accusation.

Yes, I agree it is not the holy grail. But it is nice and convenient. I care about offensive performance because it has been easier to measure. I appreciate the effort David Locke puts into it and that he puts his neck on the line. :)

Troy Brown is gathering dust with the Wizards right now, racking up DNPs. He has some potential as a big guard or facilitator on the wing. Not sure what his defense is like, but he's got some tools.

Last edited:
Brown has fallen out of favor with his coach and is sitting while the legendary Garrison Matthews is starting. Another 1st round pick from 2018 that is sitting is Chandler Hutchison. Billy Donovan doesn't like what he sees. I think both could be obtained reasonably but might be to let Quin continue sitting them.

Brown has fallen out of favor with his coach and is sitting while the legendary Garrison Matthews is starting. Another 1st round pick from 2018 that is sitting is Chandler Hutchison. Billy Donovan doesn't like what he sees. I think both could be obtained reasonably but might be to let Quin continue sitting them.
Kevin Knox in New York too. He looks like a DL guy. He picked Lyles in 2015 and might get another shot at da balance test on Knox.

Could Wendell Carter Jr be available? He seems to be falling out of favor a little bit.

I haven’t watched much of him over the last 2 seasons, but I liked what I saw early on.

His 3pt shot hasn’t developed. I don’t know where his defense is, but coming into the league he looked like a guy who would be comfortable switching 3-5. He also has some grit.
We could match his salary, but we’d have to send at least 1 first.

@Handlogten's Heros @infection

Powell's defense has dropped off a bit recently, but he's shooting well and he's more or less big enough to qualify as a wing. He makes around $10 mil, similar to Ingles. I think the Jazz would have some interest, but doubt it's enough to make the deal happen.

Doesnt make any sense for Utah, sadly.

He'd fit into the Tony Bradley trade exception. The Jazz would just have to toss in some draft compensation and/or one of their young players. He wouldn't be the Jazz's main move at the deadline, but he'd be a good pickup. Agree that the Jazz are looking for more veteran help though.

Powell's defense has dropped off a bit recently, but he's shooting well and he's more or less big enough to qualify as a wing. He makes around $10 mil, similar to Ingles. I think the Jazz would have some interest, but doubt it's enough to make the deal happen.
It’s low lying fruit, not pie in the sky like Grant is or some others we know nothing of availability. With Ilyasova onboard a big bodied shooting guard that can also play some 3 makes a lot of sense IMO. Plus, if we trade Bogey and end of bench, we get another quality piece as well.