What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Butler and Ingles for Roco who is expiring. Butler as Lillard insurance of sorts. And Roco is expiring so I’m not sure what they could get for him.

Bogey for Barnes. Is that a pipe dream?

Conley-Forrest
Mitchell-Clarkson
Barnes-O’Neale
Roco-Gay
Gobert-Whiteside

Last edited:
I know fan talk doesn't really mean anything, but talking to a hardcore Boston fan yesterday and they said they would love to trade Smart. Basically said he often ruins the offense and won't accept a smaller offensive role, and that his defense has regressed.

I know fan talk doesn't really mean anything, but talking to a hardcore Boston fan yesterday and they said they would love to trade Smart. Basically said he often ruins the offense and won't accept a smaller offensive role, and that his defense has regressed.
I think it does mean something… sometimes. If there are constant themes I wouldn’t ignore them. I pay more attention when the fanbase is overwhelmingly in love with the player that if a few folks think they suck. Kenrich Williams is a guy I think this rule applies to... OKC fans love that dude.

The narratives on Smart that he has regressed have been around for a little while now. He kinda reminds me on an extreme version of Jae Crowder. There are nights where he gets hot and is the emotional leader than rallies the troops. There will be times he shoots you out of games. I feel like swapping JC for him brings some upside but the deal is not without its potential drawbacks. The longer the season goes on the less I want them to make a major move that hamstrings the future because i don't think there is any saving this year's team. I think they were a fringe contender but have shown they should likely be considered more in the tier below Suns, Warriors, healthy Nuggets.

Last edited:
Depends on the fan. You talk to a few people around here, the sentiment is that Donovan never tries and we need him gone.

Fan perspective is kind of hard to judge.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Why I said constant themes. There are a few people that hate every player. Smart is a very divisive player.

There are really only a couple people that **** on Donovan... and honestly, they are generally trolls or trolling.

Fournier and Rudy are close from the French team. He's like a younger Bojan who plays more SG/SF. If we added Randle, we would need a floor spacer like Fournier.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
We also need to get some good passers/ball-movers which is easily Fournier’s most interesting attribute. I think his best role is as a sixth man, kinda like Joe’s.

This part made me laugh because there are some that likely think Don only shares with himself.

The ideal path for Donovan was always to be a full time point or creator with a good secondary option that was past first. I think Mike is honestly ideal for that on offense. Size is a challenge on defense between the two of them… and I do think Mike is a good defender. I don’t see Dons offensive role as a problem at all. The offense works… the defense struggles in some matchups.
Mike would be ideal, if he was five inches taller. Since, as you pointed out, size is an ongoing problem the #2 guy you're describing needs to be a wing or big. With Ingles's decline, and Conley only having a couple good years left, finding more play making and passing is going to be key. There isn't that much as is.

I don't love the idea of Don as primary play maker and ball handler as much as I used to, but if there was a secondary that could handle it, I think they'd be fine. Lately, I've been leaning more towards wanting Jerami Grant for this reason, I think he'd be fantastic.

Theoretically, Randle could possibly work. I honestly haven't watched much of him, and the dropoff from last year to now is very concerning. So is his contract if he doesn't get back to where he was.

Butler and Ingles for Roco who is expiring. Butler as Lillard insurance of sorts. And Roco is expiring so I’m not sure what they could get for him.

Bogey for Barnes. Is that a pipe dream?

Conley-Forrest
Mitchell-Clarkson
Barnes-O’Neale
Roco-Gay
Gobert-Whiteside

@NUMBERICA

Why the hate on this one? It’s probably unrealistic but it seemingly makes us a far more balanced team.

Mike would be ideal, if he was five inches taller. Since, as you pointed out, size is an ongoing problem the #2 guy you're describing needs to be a wing or big. With Ingles's decline, and Conley only having a couple good years left, finding more play making and passing is going to be key. There isn't that much as is.

I don't love the idea of Don as primary play maker and ball handler as much as I used to, but if there was a secondary that could handle it, I think they'd be fine. Lately, I've been leaning more towards wanting Jerami Grant for this reason, I think he'd be fantastic.

Theoretically, Randle could possibly work. I honestly haven't watched much of him, and the dropoff from last year to now is very concerning. So is his contract if he doesn't get back to where he was.
Hard no on Randle. If he was making half as much as he currently was I'd maybe think about it. He's kinda the opposite of what we need.

Hard no on Randle. If he was making half as much as he currently was I'd maybe think about it. He's kinda the opposite of what we need.

Randle is like the PF version of Emanuel Mudiay. He drives, he handles, he dominates the ball, his shooting is flakey, and his defense is soft. He's not worth the extension that's about to kick in.

Last edited:
Here are the things with Smart that are problematic for any receiving team and for Boston:

1. That’s a big contract.
2. That’s a long contract.
3. His inefficiency is bad and just like when we talk about the fatal flaws of our guys and why it depressed their value, we tend to gloss over this with Smart.

I believe we’re inflating his value because he fits so many of our needs and we’d be more tolerant of his weaknesses. But other teams don’t have as much of those needs as we do and other teams can’t tolerate that inefficiency like we can. Our appraisal of his value here is inflated relative to what I believe it is across the league. There are many counteracting things that can make his contract a liability as much as he’s a benefit. Us taking him has a lot of perpetual tax implications. He’d be the only guy on our roster who’s under contract in 2025-2026 (Rudy and Don each being player options).

I don’t know much about what Boston is looking for, but I know a lot of Boston people are referring to him by his contract, and there’s been talk about tax issues with them. If they’re looking to move him or at all view his contract as something that has to be addressed, then I believe there’s a move there where we can land him (presuming we don’t have the same cap reservations). Ainge’s connection to Boston and his son still being in their FO should allow us to at least get in as a three way, and I think we can send out enough value with Clarkson to get a decent returning package to Boston (even if Boston didn’t view Clarkson as a piece that could be moved later that has much less cap ramifications). Clarkson has two years (one being a PO) left and about $27.5M. Smart has 4 years and $76.5M left. Smart for Clarkson as a financial move alone is pretty solid, and let’s you use him as a piece later. On the flip side, we’d be on the receiving end of that contract and it could give a lot of pause.

I have a feeling that if Smart were our guy that we were talking about trading, we may be taking the “you gotta be realistic” approach and saying how problematic his contract is for any potential suitor.

If we assume Boston wants to move him, what teams would want him and what kind of return could they give Boston?

Here are the things with Smart that are problematic for any receiving team and for Boston:

1. That’s a big contract.
2. That’s a long contract.
3. His inefficiency is bad and just like when we talk about the fatal flaws of our guys and why it depressed their value, we tend to gloss over this with Smart.

I believe we’re inflating his value because he fits so many of our needs and we’d be more tolerant of his weaknesses. But other teams don’t have as much of those needs as we do and other teams can’t tolerate that inefficiency like we can. Our appraisal of his value here is inflated relative to what I believe it is across the league. There are many counteracting things that can make his contract a liability as much as he’s a benefit. Us taking him has a lot of perpetual tax implications. He’d be the only guy on our roster who’s under contract in 2025-2026 (Rudy and Don each being player options).

I don’t know much about what Boston is looking for, but I know a lot of Boston people are referring to him by his contract, and there’s been talk about tax issues with them. If they’re looking to move him or at all view his contract as something that has to be addressed, then I believe there’s a move there where we can land him (presuming we don’t have the same cap reservations). Ainge’s connection to Boston and his son still being in their FO should allow us to at least get in as a three way, and I think we can send out enough value with Clarkson to get a decent returning package to Boston (even if Boston didn’t view Clarkson as a piece that could be moved later that has much less cap ramifications). Clarkson has two years (one being a PO) left and about $27.5M. Smart has 4 years and $76.5M left. Smart for Clarkson as a financial move alone is pretty solid, and let’s you use him as a piece later. On the flip side, we’d be on the receiving end of that contract and it could give a lot of pause.

I have a feeling that if Smart were our guy that we were talking about trading, we may be taking the “you gotta be realistic” approach and saying how problematic his contract is for any potential suitor.

If we assume Boston wants to move him, what teams would want him and what kind of return could they give Boston?
I think there will be a disconnect on asking and purchase price with Smart. Doubt he is moved… there is no real urgency on their end and I doubt we make an offer too good to refuse.

My prediction is we end up trading Doke with a second rounder for some guy making the minimum that we really like… but it’s all really about shedding like 500K from the cap. We already made our big acquisition of House… plus you forgot we added Burks and Exum… oh wait what year is it?

I think there will be a disconnect on asking and purchase price with Smart. Doubt he is moved… there is no real urgency on their end and I doubt we make an offer too good to refuse.

My prediction is we end up trading Doke with a second rounder for some guy making the minimum that we really like… but it’s all really about shedding like 500K from the cap. We already made our big acquisition of House… plus you forgot we added Burks and Exum… oh wait what year is it?
Doke for Williams and giving some loosening on that conditional pick protections saves us a cool $75k.