What's new

Trade deadline discussion

They saved $11M. Two seconds sucks but they got one somewhat useable player and an interesting prospect... I did think NAW was only in his second year... he's in his third which is a little worrisome.

I really hope the plan isn't to play him because there is nothing about his numbers that suggest he is ready... JB is likely more ready than he is at this point.

You know who else might have been a NBA player who has just as much talent, but is better? Elijah Hughes.
Okay... he's a free agent and can't save us $11M.

I'm not like excited about this deal at all. Its not something I'm going to cry about though. We sell picks for money... some of us have known this for a long time... others have been in denial. When you know what is coming you don't get upset that it happens.

I think it is likely both Hughes and NAW are not good NBA players so whatevs... I'm numb to this **** now.

and getting NAW better means we are ready to ship Clarkson cuz it makes zero sense to keep them both on the same team, let alone on the same floor.

Elijah Hughes is better than NAW. Flat out.

The Jazz got the poor man's version of Jordan ClarksonR
I might be wrong about this. But he reminds me more of a poor man's CJ McCollum. They play similar but CJ's shot looks better and CJ also has nice crossovers to break away from defenders. I think there's a lot of potential here.

Okay... he's a free agent and can't save us $11M.

I'm not like excited about this deal at all. Its not something I'm going to cry about though. We sell picks for money... some of us have known this for a long time... others have been in denial. When you know what is coming you don't get upset that it happens.

I think it is likely both Hughes and NAW are not good NBA players so whatevs... I'm numb to this **** now.
Save us?

Save Ryan Smith*.

I get saying "us" when it comes to like winning/losing, but I refuse to use that **** when it comes to saving a billionaire some pocket change.

I might be wrong about this. But he reminds me more of a poor man's CJ McCollum. They play similar but CJ's shot looks better and CJ also has nice crossovers to break away from defenders. I think there's a lot of potential here.
The delineation between a poor man's CJ or JC is minute. They dudes who take shots they don't make without offering much else.

The delineation between a poor man's CJ or JC is minute. They dudes who take shots they don't make without offering much else.
Well he looks like a better defender than JC and he also looks willing to pass. I think both of those things make us better. Because both of those things JC isn't willing to do.

Save us?

Save Ryan Smith*.

I get saying "us" when it comes to like winning/losing, but I refuse to use that **** when it comes to saving a billionaire some pocket change.
You know what... you are correct... my bad. This saves Ryan some money... it benefits us in no way shape or form. Please everyone don't try to sell us on the BS of if Ryan pays that much tax he has to sell the team or that money is needed to "invest in the program" a DL fav.

Ryan's favorite jazz player is "Cash Considerations".

This is kind of weird if it’s the only deal, but we got tax savings and a young prospect out of it. Joe will re-sign this summer, Hughes was never it, and two seconds are two seconds. We really didn’t give up anything of much value here.

This isn’t a contender move, which makes me think it’s a prelude to something else.

It's totally understandable if someone likes Hughes more than NAW but if you're honest with yourself both players are purely potential and both players are far more likely to miss more than hit.

What we know is Joe is a contract at this point so moving him was just saving money. Hughes was not getting many minutes, he had a couple of nice games and a couple of really poor showings but very limited chances to show himself.

NAW is the same draft as Hughes and has played a ton more of minutes, albeit on a not very good team. Maybe NAW will fit better in Utah than he did in NO or maybe he quickly finds himself at the end of the bench time will tell.

At the end of the day Jazz lost Hughes a 2nd round pick 2yrs ago and two 2nd round picks for NAW who was a 1st round overall 17th pick, who has got minutes and last year showed he might be able to play in this league only to regress this year but the NOP season overall has been a similar regression and disappointing. Oh yeah and Hernangomez who was needed to make salaries match.

It's totally understandable if someone likes Hughes more than NAW but if you're honest with yourself both players are purely potential and both players are far more likely to miss more than hit.

What we know is Joe is a contract at this point so moving him was just saving money. Hughes was not getting many minutes, he had a couple of nice games and a couple of really poor showings but very limited chances to show himself.

NAW is the same draft as Hughes and has played a ton more of minutes, albeit on a not very good team. Maybe NAW will fit better in Utah than he did in NO or maybe he quickly finds himself at the end of the bench time will tell.

At the end of the day Jazz lost Hughes a 2nd round pick 2yrs ago and two 2nd round picks for NAW who was a 1st round overall 17th pick, who has got minutes and last year showed he might be able to play in this league only to regress this year but the NOP season overall has been a similar regression and disappointing. Oh yeah and Hernangomez who was needed to make salaries match.
Nah, Hughes was the draft after NAW.