What's new

Trade deadline discussion

We just have so many limited players that require other players limited in different ways that ****ing with the roster in a substantial way could backfire. We need Royce and Joe. We need everyone honestly. The Jazz needed to make another big move or gain somehow in the last two years and it didn’t happen. We need the continuity and familiarity that exists right now and there’s really not time to **** with it. I just think the Jazz have to play better and get lucky.

Conley is awesome defending from the bench in the playoffs.

It would be a miracle if he's 100% and not hurt or "coming back" from not being 100%.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
I mean Donovan has had injuries in 2 playoffs already. It’s unfortunate but it happens. There is no guarantee he will be hurt. This far the team has kept his minute load down. Lots of guys get hurt before and during the playoffs… moving Mike for another player does not guarantee health. PG, Kawhi, AD, Steph, CP3… have all had issues at points in their careers. When Mike has been healthy in the playoffs he’s been good. No reason to believe he won’t be healthy.

This is something that wasn't really brought up when he officially became GM, he really hasn't had a good draft since 2019. It's not as big a concern for me short term since hopefully they'll be low picks still for a few years, he says hopefully.
I brought it up… he’s not been great. I think at least he misses on the right types of players so it’s less perplexing than our misses at least.

You got serious brain rot if you think trading Conley is a good idea.

The Jazz dont need a huge move. A huge move has more chance at backfiring than it does succeeding.

Just grab Yuta Watanabe and win.
Any change will also have a learning curve too… I mean if it’s a 7th or 8th man not a big deal… if it’s your second creator that changes **** substantially.

I don’t know what trade is out there that turns this team into a contender. I think we need to swap out 3 rotation pieces to be a contender. Not gonna happen, guys. This core is going to age out and the rebuild will be on.

Trade Joe Ingles, Jared Butler, a future FRP and a 2RP for Christian Wood or Josh Hart. Be able to put a lineup on the floor without Conley for extended minutes if he's too small to have a defensive impact.

Conley/Mitchell/Bojan/Wood/Gobert, with Clarkson/Royce/Whiteside off the bench, is a contender.

Conley/Mitchell/Hart/Bojan/Gobert, with Clarkson/Royce/Whiteside off the bench, is a contender.

The Jazz's problem is that when they face a team with four 6'8" thoroughbred athletes who switch and trap on defense, their system players like Joe Ingles get exposed on both sides of the ball. I'm assuming this is why the Jazz's front office reportedly lined up a trade for Ingles during the off season.

Last edited:
Any change will also have a learning curve too… I mean if it’s a 7th or 8th man not a big deal… if it’s your second creator that changes **** substantially.

I'm going to try not to read too much into last night's game for Joe Ingles. If anyone is going to be affected by a B2B on NYE/NYD, which is also the 3rd game in 4 nights, compounded by the fact that Mitchell and Conley each sat out one of those games, it's Joe Ingles. However, he was on the bubble before he was rendered useless last night.

I'm going to try not to read too much into last night's game for Joe Ingles. If anyone is going to be affected by a B2B on NYE/NYD, which is also the 3rd game in 4 nights, compounded by the fact that Mitchell and Conley each sat out one of those games, it's Joe Ingles. However, he was on the bubble before he was rendered useless last night.
Joe didn’t play the night before so factor that in.

Joe just looks more rickety this year. He looks like he’s carrying some extra weight in the mid section. I’m worried about him.

The teams that have athletic disruptive wings just make the disparity look so bad right now. I’ll never write Joe off but I have a feeling this is it for him and he’s headed back to Australia… not sure he is super committed and locked in. I would only move him for a clear upgrade… not a lateral move or for something different… so if it was Joe and a second for Roco I’m a “no”… if it’s Joe and a first for Smart I’m on board… this has changed in the last few weeks for me. The combo of Joe looking more cooked and Royce looking slower and like 15% worse on defense than he has in the past is shifting my thinking. Royce has never been the perfect lockdown guy but I think he’s looked just a little worse the last little while. He may be nicked up… hopefully it’s not a long term decline.

Marcus Smart is a solid passer and ball handler so I think he’d make up for
Some of the ball handling we lose with Joe or JC… he’s probably the only guy that is theoretically available that I’d advocate pursuing. I’m not sure there are others that address our needs.

Marcus Smart is a solid passer and ball handler so I think he’d make up for
Some of the ball handling we lose with Joe or JC… he’s probably the only guy that is theoretically available that I’d advocate pursuing. I’m not sure there are others that address our needs.

He has a big extension kicking in next season. I like him as a $13M player. I don't like him as an $18M - $20M player. If we're going to pay someone $20M, it should be Barnes.

Any Conley trade should net us back some good load of offense initiation that we lack when he sits. Bogey and Clarkson can score, but not playmake (Clarkson at least can handle tho), but sets doesn't usually starts through them. Ingles ain't getting any younger, if he stays, his future includes have his role become more and more opportunistic. Mitchell is more and more ready to take bigger control of the offense (which fits with Conley style, persona, age, load management, etc), but he's still just one man, and we'd another guy creating things if we were get rid of Mike

He has a big extension kicking in next season. I like him as a $13M player. I don't like him as an $18M - $20M player. If we're going to pay someone $20M, it should be Barnes.
Ha… we don’t get to choose like that.

I only think Smart is available for what we can offer if they do a bigger trade. Like a three team Dame Ben trade where Portland doesn’t want Smart per se but would take an expiring and a first for him.

Barnes is good and all but I think he’s barely better than Bojan… and we have Gay as a solid big wing as well. We really need a perimeter defensive ace, passing, and more rebounding. I think Smart fits what we need better even if he isn’t the better player or value.

I would love to hear these hypothetical Conley deals because I’m sure they’d be straight garbage or so one sided that they are stupid.

Barnes is good and all but I think he’s barely better than Bojan… and we have Gay as a solid big wing as well. We really need a perimeter defensive ace, passing, and more rebounding. I think Smart fits what we need better even if he isn’t the better player or value.

Barnes isn't a replacement for Bojan. He's an upgrade for Joe or Royce. The Jazz would need to keep Bojan.

Grant Williams is a fine pick... Providing some solid rotation minutes as a 22nd overall in the draft. Payton Pritchard also did pretty well. Way better than guys like Doke or Bradley for sure. He effed their lotto picks but both were 14th overall so it's not like they were DedEx type of mess.
Small clarification, I meant 2019 was his last good draft, Williams was in that draft. I know Celtic fans seemed to really have cooled on most other picks he'd made since then. One other nitpick, Doke was drafted right after Pritchard and he missed on Bane (like many people, to be fair.)

EDIT: upon further review, really the only hits he's had since about 2016 are Jaylen Brown, Tatum, and to a lesser extent Williams and Pritchard. Interesting.

Your point still stands, my brain just had to be annoying and clarify all that. Ainge should be better at drafting by default. At least, when we have picks again.

Last edited:
I would cut Joe a little slack for last night as he was coming off a low back strain and those buggers are like the shanks in golf. If you move very guardedly and your back doesn't bark at you it's a victory.

i

Joe just looks more rickety this year. He looks like he’s carrying some extra weight in the mid section. I’m worried about him.
Joe desperately needs to be on the Conley plan of missing some games. Or heck, give him a couple weeks off. Between last year's playoffs, then the Olympics, then this season, he hasn't really had a break, he has to be exhausted. I think it would help.

Barnes isn't a replacement for Bojan. He's an upgrade for Joe or Royce. The Jazz would need to keep Bojan.
And using him as a replacement for Joe/Royce would mean not having enough shots for the team and not enough passing either. The roster is flawed, another scorer isn’t going to fix it.