What's new

Trade deadline discussion

PJ Washington is probably a better player/fit then Reddish for us. He's available.
He got his way back to the rotation recently and been putting up numbers. It's still possible Hornet's trade him before deadline so they keep Bridges, but they can probably do better than what we offer them.

Yes... they have a small cap crunch coming if they want to keep their dudes.
In that case I don’t believe we’d have anything enticing unless we were giving Butler and a distant pick that we don’t really have.

In that case I don’t believe we’d have anything enticing unless we were giving Butler and a distant pick that we don’t really have.
Unless they are currently under the cap (haven’t paid attention) and we can send out a lot of salary that we don’t take back so we can call it a basketball move and the “lolz we don’t make moves for money” guys can point to our return.

Unless they are currently under the cap (haven’t paid attention) and we can send out a lot of salary that we don’t take back so we can call it a basketball move and the “lolz we don’t make moves for money” guys can point to our return.

Would likely have to include Oubre+Washington for Ingles+Royce or something along those lines. If I'm them, I'm just keeping what I have though. I wouldn't want to move PJ so I wonder if it's his camp that wants out and is creating the rumors. The Hornets also desperately need a C, so a 3 teamer could be a possibility.

PJ Washington is probably a better player/fit then Reddish for us. He's available.
Tough to find a good fitting trade... not giving up a first for him unless its lotto protected.

Would likely have to include Oubre+Washington for Ingles+Royce or something along those lines. If I'm them, I'm just keeping what I have though. I wouldn't want to move PJ so I wonder if it's his camp that wants out and is creating the rumors. The Hornets also desperately need a C, so a 3 teamer could be a possibility.
Wonder if they'd do Royce for Washington and Martin. Get cost certainty as Martin is a free agent. Allows them to keep the rest of their dudes and stay below the tax. I think they like Oubre... he's been good for them.

Wonder if they'd do Royce for Washington and Martin. Get cost certainty as Martin is a free agent. Allows them to keep the rest of their dudes and stay below the tax. I think they like Oubre... he's been good for them.
How is Washington as a defender? His numbers look really solid and definitely not like something you'd get with just Royce.

How is Washington as a defender? His numbers look really solid and definitely not like something you'd get with just Royce.
I kind of like Washington and think he has potential, but I wouldn't want him and Bogey on the same team. If the Jazz go out and get PJ, they'd really need to develop him.

I'd rather deal Bogey (get additional teams involved cuz Bogey doesnt make sense on Charlotte) and get PJ + assets and keep Royce.

The pick that got Reddish was lotto protected until it turns into seconds...I think Reddish and PJ out to have similar value.
Probably the problem is the pick starts 2022... not sure how long the protections run... but it is likely to convey... we would have to start at 2026 and if it hasn't conveyed by 2028 then its seconds... a second that we already traded (twice kinda).

There are some things we could likely do to make something like that happen... just not moving heaven and earth for him.

Like if the Jazz could deal Bogey to a team, then that team deals their center to Charlotte, and Charlotte deals PJ+Martin to Utah, that could be an interesting deal.

Like maybe Wood or Turner? But then you'd have to get a 4th team, because Houston/Indy wouldnt make sense for Bogey either.

it was a steal for Memphis. It saved them from the misery of having to overpay Mike Conley for over 30mil a year, giving Morant all the necessary minutes to develop his game, acquiring multiple rotation players and draft picks in the process. they wouldn't have gotten any better offer for Conley.
Exactly. There wasn't another team out there that wanted Conley especially that badly. Instead of grooming Don as a PG, we completely took the ball out of his hands.

If the trade had been something around Favors and picks, I could rationalize it better. When we gave up Crowder which depleted our "great 3 and D" options, any logical person should have known it was a bad idea.

It wasn't a great deal at the moment. Now that Jae has been a critical starter for two straight Finals teams while Conley has done nothing to elevate us in the playoffs, it's clearly an awful deal.

We shouldn't trade Royce either though. We are all talking about defense, and he's a good defender depending on the matchup. We need more guys like Royce not less of them.

I think something like this should be considered:

Boston gets Conley and Boban Marjanovic
Dallas gets Schroder
Jazz get Josh Richardson, Grant Williams and draft compensation from Dallas

Saves us a ton in luxury money while giving us two defensively oriented players. And draft compensation. Dallas has already been linked to have interest in Schroder.

Dallas gets Schroder

Saves us a ton in luxury money while giving us two defensively oriented players. And draft compensation. Dallas has already been linked to have interest in Schroder.
Would that mean the Tank is on?

If the Jazz are trading to Conley to Boston, it would probably center around Smart and Dennis (Quin's guy).

If the Jazz are trading to Conley to Boston, it would probably center around Smart and Dennis (Quin's guy).
If we can get Smart, I'm all for it. I just don't know how available he actually is.

If Quin wants Schroder, then this could be reworked.

Dallas gets Schroder

So the Jazz get two guys who wont see the court in the playoffs and ****** draft picks for a top 10 PG? I guess Boston didnt finish ****ing us enough with the Hayward deal.

Excellent.