What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I think the other guys are guaranteed at this point but I think Oni is for sure gone and they will replace him with a minimum. Churning the back end of the roster could get expensive just to cut a few guys.
It’s more that if there’s a move to be made, we’d wipe the deck pretty easily without any “oh, but that was our guy who _____.”

It’s more that if there’s a move to be made, we’d wipe the deck pretty easily without any “oh, but that was our guy who _____.”
Get DL hired ASAP... send Udoka, Oni, Hughes, out for 5 second round picks.

I'm not certain about my feelings on Grant. The biggest question is what's the loss. I know we look at all of our offensive weapons and recognize we could sacrifice some for upgraded defense, but as it stands Bojan is our second leading scorer both overall and per minute, and the question would arise as to how much of that pie is affected by Bojan's presence, or lack thereof. Grant is putting up big numbers, but he's a totally different skillset that may be really clanky for everything overall. My gut would tell me that this would be about a step forward on defense but a step and a half back on offense.
I think on offense it would be a half step back, mainly because of 3 pt shooting. But it gives us another guy that can create his own offense as needed, even more so than Bogey could. I think it would be a net gain, even if a small one.

Has anyone watched Rockets much this year? Garrison Mathews is putting up really good stats both ways. I wonder what it would take to get him and if he is actually good on defense. 538 has him ranked as the third best wing in their defensive RAPTOR rating and the 5th best player overall. He is young so maybe Rockets are pretty high on keeping him. Another similar stats wise player from OKC is Kenrich Williams. Both of these guys were undrafted and seem to shoot well and stats say are good defenders.

Here’s a crazy idea: Christian Wood

6’10” big wing span, great rebounder, shooter, scorer. Makes like $14mil and only has 1 more year on his contract for a team starting a long rebuild. Easy salary to match and Houston is the prime type of team to value a lightly or non protected 2026 first round pick. From what I’ve read, he is fine on perimeter defense and is a plus as a rim defender, meaning he could cover stretch fours and give us the secondary rim protection that we crave.

6’10” big wing span, great rebounder, shooter, scorer. Makes like $14mil and only has 1 more year on his contract for a team starting a long rebuild. Easy salary to match and Houston is the prime type of team to value a lightly or non protected 2026 first round pick. From what I’ve read, he is fine on perimeter defense and is a plus as a rim defender, meaning he could cover stretch fours and give us the secondary rim protection that we crave.
I been trying to get Wood for years. I think they can do better than what we can offer.

I think JZ was less likely to make a move than Danny but I still think a move is unlikely… in part because we are rolling so any move he makes has more downside than upside for his report card.

Danny is a competitive guy. He'll want to do something to get involved with this all-time offensive juggernaut of a team. Then when they win at the end of the season, he'll pose for the cameras and soak up all the shine.

I would make this move. I think the deal would probably be Royce, Butler and a FRP. Throw in Oni to match salary and the Rockets can waive him to save a few bucks. Houston can then flip Royce to another team like Brooklyn or Boston for another player or pick. Houston gets a good young prospect and two picks for 1.5 years of Wood.

Last edited:
I will say I did not like that he insinuated that Rudy is expendable, and that we need to fix Rudy's defense. I know the quote wasn't fully in context but it sure seemed like he was saying we need to make sure Rudy can cover those perimeter guys or we might need to trade him for someone who can. If that is his position, well that's fully crap. I hope I am reading too much into that one quote.

What happened to Christian Wood? He is the 113th ranked player in fantasy basketball this season. I took him in the 3rd round. Oof.

What happened to Christian Wood? He is the 113th ranked player in fantasy basketball this season. I took him in the 3rd round. Oof.
I think it is that he is playing on a crappy team, but who knows.